Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
SanDisk Extreme Plus on sale 32GB 19.95
Posted By: crewl1, 11-27-2014, 09:39 AM

SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus SDHC - UHS-I Memory Card - 80MBS/sec SDSDXS-032G-A46
The 80/60 ms read/write cards are the fastest your K-3 can take advantage of, and are now at $20 for the 32GB card.
Why spend on the 95ms cards (unless you want the faster image download on your PC)?
Not sure if this is Black Friday pricing or just a manufacturers reduction.
The 16GB is $14.95

Last edited by crewl1; 11-27-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Views: 4,002
11-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best rated 32gb They are matching Amazon's price. I ordered one yesterday from Amazon and checked prices around the net - they were the only ones with it <$20 as of midnight.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB UHS-1/U3 SDHC Memory Card Up To 80MB/s, Frustration-Free- SDSDXS-32GB-AFFP (Label May Change): Computers & Accessories
11-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
64 micro U3 for $35

SanDisk 64GB microSDXC Extreme Plus Class 10 UHS-I Memory Card, U3 SDSDQX-064G-A46A
11-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Crewl1 - and others who might know - I also took advantage of the SD E+ 32gb deal (as I await K-3 delivery), but find it interesting that Amazon lists it as U3 - and has the SD and packaging photos to go with that, yet SanDisk still lists it as U1. Not aware that there was any announcement. Does this indicate that 60 mbs is more assured on the newer batch?

I know Adam feels strongly that SD E Pro is the way to go with the K-3, but I'd be surprised if the in-camera performance is enhanced beyond the SD E+ capabilities. At least not appreciably. I might feel differently if I was shooting much sports.

11-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd be curious to know if a study has been done comparing the dependability of micros in adapters against straight up SD cards. Just seems to me that the smaller componentry gets, and the more variables introduced (such as unnecessary adapter connections that might not always make perfect connections) - the more problems encountered.
11-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Crewl1 - and others who might know - I also took advantage of the SD E+ 32gb deal (as I await K-3 delivery), but find it interesting that Amazon lists it as U3 - and has the SD and packaging photos to go with that, yet SanDisk still lists it as U1. Not aware that there was any announcement. Does this indicate that 60 mbs is more assured on the newer batch?

I know Adam feels strongly that SD E Pro is the way to go with the K-3, but I'd be surprised if the in-camera performance is enhanced beyond the SD E+ capabilities. At least not appreciably. I might feel differently if I was shooting much sports.
The SDE+ 80/60 had a label change to differentiate it from the E PRO but since there are old and new stock out there some vendors say 'appearance may vary'

Amazon is frequently wrong in their description text, I'd go with what the manufacturer website says.

There was a test done by a forum member that I recall but can't find.
He showed the K-3 buffer would clear fastest with a 45 Mbs card and using a 95 Mbs card did not improve the clearing time.
In my opinion the 80/60 card will give it a little extra headroom without the unnecessary expense of the 95 Mbs card.
I have been using 45Mbs cards for sports in my K-3 with no lag time on hi continuous drive mode for a while now.

Last edited by crewl1; 11-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.
11-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The SDE+ 80/60 had a label change to differentiate it from the E PRO but since there are old and new stock out there some vendors say 'appearance may vary'

Amazon is frequently wrong in their description text, I'd go with what the manufacturer website says.

I have been using 45Mbs cards for sports in my K-3 with no lag time on hi continuous drive mode for a while now.
Well, take your finger off that shutter release - you don't have to leave it on there just for me!

Seriously, thanks for the response. I'll report back when the card arrives. I suspect that Amazon really does have U3 cards, though, as the image on the packaging is clear, includes 4K video compatibility, and the description explicitly includes the U3 designation. Not that I'll necessarily get one of the U3 units when the shipment arrives. They sell so many of these cards I suspect they get the newest stock. Can't blame SanDisk if they don't update their listing until all the old stock is gone from all the retailers - and I suspect that the higher rating designation will be cutting into their higher-margin Pro sales until those units get a faster designation.
11-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Will this SD Card work with 645D

I know that SDHC UHS-1 does not work with 645D cameras. Does anyone know about this? Thanks

12-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday, I tried to take advantage of the SD card offer through Adorama when it was still "offered" at a low price, but I kept getting a message about something like a warehouse limit (I tried adding only 1 card to my cart and still got the message). So I couldn't make the purchase. Gee, surprise surprise today. I can now purchase the card for twice the price. On both days, there was a flag on the screen saying more cards were on the way to the warehouse, so the fact that it was temporarily out of stock doesn't seem to be the issue. Seems a bit fishy to me.
12-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Yesterday, I tried to take advantage of the SD card offer through Adorama when it was still "offered" at a low price, but I kept getting a message about something like a warehouse limit (I tried adding only 1 card to my cart and still got the message). So I couldn't make the purchase. Gee, surprise surprise today. I can now purchase the card for twice the price. On both days, there was a flag on the screen saying more cards were on the way to the warehouse, so the fact that it was temporarily out of stock doesn't seem to be the issue. Seems a bit fishy to me.
Try Amazon, I got mine there before Adorama had them on a price match.
12-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I was able to order one at the low price from Adorama on Friday. I received the other items in my order but the card hasn't shipped yet.
12-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Try Amazon, I got mine there before Adorama had them on a price match.
Amazon seems to be out of stock.

But also, it's not so much a question of whether I can buy one from another supplier. What bugs me is that Adorama seemed to be indicating yesterday that the sale was still on, but wouldn't let me complete the sale at the low price - and then today offered the cards at the regular price.
12-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I'll report back when the card arrives. I suspect that Amazon really does have U3 cards, though, as the image on the packaging is clear, includes 4K video compatibility, and the description explicitly includes the U3 designation.
I received my cards today, the top of the package has different designations on each.
One shows a U1, C10, FULL HD VIDEO. The other shows U3, C10, 4K ULTRA HD

Below that though the text is the same on both packages:
SanDisk Extreme PLUS SDHC UHS-1 Card

So I guess you can have a U3 designation and be UHS-1?

The bar code skus are the same but there is a smaller number underneath that is different on each package.

They both are rated at 80/60 read/write so otherwise the cards appear the same.
Oh wait , one of the card has a U3 on the label and the other has a U1 on the label.
Confusing.
12-02-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hey Larry,

My card hasn't arrived. I also noticed that either way the card is designated 80/60, and I'm pretty sure that 60mp write is going to outperform the K-3 maximum buffer flush rate. Ultimately, I suspect the card is the same either way, but SanDisk decided to specify that the card is fast enough to handle 4k video. The UHS-I "as in my, myself and I" has a slightly slower maximum bus speed than the UHS-II. Not even sure that the camera can support UHS-II - which was introduced earlier this year. The U1 and U3 designations are minimum write speed classes - grades above the old Class 6, Class 10, etc. To me, I'm most interested in minimum write speed, as opposed to maximum bus speed operation.

Does anyone have an idea if the buffer flushes any faster if you sent RAW to one card, and JPEG to the second slot? I've been playing around with the slots - and I'm not sure I want to goof around with two cards for downloading. Then again, it makes it easy to create separate sub-folders for each shoot - things could be a bit more organized that way (not one of my strengths).