Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax web store sales
Posted By: Homo_erectus, 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM

The Pentax web store has some great sales today. Official Pentax Online Store | Pentax Digital Cameras | Pentax Webstore

The FA 31mm Limited is on sale for 773! smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) | Pentax Webstore

The D-FA 50mm Macro is 303. smcP D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax Webstore

There are a lot of other lenses on sale as well although the price cuts are not quite as high generally.

I just ordered the 31mm :-)
Views: 59,280
12-20-2014, 05:28 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjp Quote
Called yesterday to check the status of my order. Was previously told they expected a shipment on the 17th, but that wasn't for certain.

Now told expect two to three weeks. Oh well. I fall into the camp that I'm not in an urgent need and I'll be happy to actually finally get it at such a great price even if it means having to wait and be patient.

Now I hope it doesn't actually get shipped until into January so it falls into the following months billing cycle!
First told 12/8, then 12/17, and now sometime in January!?! And this is the "Official" Pentax webstore. Geez. Thanks for the update, just frustrated that these clowns have the contract to run the Pentax USA webstore.

12-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #392
Banned

How are they shipping these to the U.S., rowboat??? Guess the "silver lining" is we'll all get freshly made lenses.
12-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #393

Photos: Gallery
Making no excuses, and not trying to incite a labor relations discussion at all, apparently a lot of merchandise has been affected by the longshoremen's slowdown on the west coast.

"Delays at the West Coast ports have caused McDonald’s Corp. restaurants in Japan to offer only small fries to customers because fewer U.S. potatoes are crossing the Pacific, the company said on its website. Macy’s Inc. said in November that port congestion was keeping products off its shelves.

In a conference call today, FedEx Corp. Chief Executive Officer Fred Smith said tie-ups at West Coast ports have depleted some retail inventories, causing some holiday shoppers to buy gift cards instead of merchandise."
West Coast Dockworkers, Shippers Said Far Apart on Contract - Bloomberg (from December 17)

News Headlines (December 19)
12-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #394
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
apparently a lot of merchandise has been affected by the longshoremen's slowdown on the west coast.

That could very well be, the webstore should note this on their site though, not state shipment within 10 business days! Work stoppages however have nothing to do with poor customer service, which the failure to disclose shipping delays to your customer base falls under!

12-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #395

Photos: Gallery
No disagreement from me, although others selling camera equipment do not usually state the reason for their delays. Backordered is backordered, and I have never had B&H or Adorama or Amazon tell me why -- or (usually) even when the item actually will be shipped.

Complaints arise, admittedly, when one sites a specific date and then fails to deliver. As a consumer, one then would hope to get an explanation, especially if the item is a present for someone.
12-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
How are they shipping these to the U.S., rowboat??? Guess the "silver lining" is we'll all get freshly made lenses.
Or they are waiting on post-Christmas returns to repackage and ship off to us.

---------- Post added 12-20-14 at 10:24 AM ----------

No disagreement from me, although others selling camera equipment do not usually state the reason for their delays. Backordered is backordered, and I have never had B&H or Adorama or Amazon tell me why -- or (usually) even when the item actually will be shipped.

Complaints arise, admittedly, when one sites a specific date and then fails to deliver. As a consumer, one then would hope to get an explanation, especially if the item is a present for someone.
Precisely. So far we have been mislead 3 specific times. First, I ordered when the item was listed as "in stock" and because of their bizarre system those who ordered last got shipped lenses first. Second, I was told that a new shipment was due in 12/8, didn't happen. Then we were told 12/17, again, didn't happen. Their site still states "Ships with 10 Business Days", which is certainly untrue. Not having stock is one thing, but repeatedly misleading your customers is completely unacceptable IMHO.

Last edited by Docrwm; 12-20-2014 at 08:45 AM.
12-20-2014, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #397
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nothing makes one madder than a great deal that can't actually be had.

12-20-2014, 08:44 AM   #398
Veteran Member

Ordered DA 55-300mm WR on 11/27 and order still says All Backordered. I'm glad I wasn't in a hurry to receive this.
12-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #399
Banned

Backordered is backordered, and I have never had B&H or Adorama or Amazon tell me why -- or (usually) even when the item actually will be shipped.

Exactly, they DON'T give you an expected ship date, the PWS however DOES give a a ship date (shows 10 business days ever since I ordered on 11/27), then fails to deliver! HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

---------- Post added 12-20-14 at 10:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

Hence the "suspicious" emoticon.
12-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #400
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I seriously doubt that. Those go to places like Overstock.com.
12-20-2014, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
After all the mistruths, poor CS, and other issues I don't rule out them doing so. I honestly believe Ricoh's oversight of their contractor is an embarrassment too.
12-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #402
Banned

Not So! I have 12 years in retail and 20 years in distribution and I can tell you that returns are routinely repacked and sold as new! Damaged items are not, but those with no apparent / visible defects are.

No bargains here! Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Pentax Lenses & Flashes
12-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #403
Pentaxian

Making no excuses, and not trying to incite a labor relations discussion at all, apparently a lot of merchandise has been affected by the longshoremen's slowdown on the west coast.

"Delays at the West Coast ports have caused McDonald’s Corp. restaurants in Japan to offer only small fries to customers because fewer U.S. potatoes are crossing the Pacific, the company said on its website. Macy’s Inc. said in November that port congestion was keeping products off its shelves.

In a conference call today, FedEx Corp. Chief Executive Officer Fred Smith said tie-ups at West Coast ports have depleted some retail inventories, causing some holiday shoppers to buy gift cards instead of merchandise."
West Coast Dockworkers, Shippers Said Far Apart on Contract - Bloomberg (from December 17)

News Headlines (December 19)
I wonder on which century my Q-mount 01 lens will arrive - already on a slow boat from Japan
12-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After all the mistruths, poor CS, and other issues I don't rule out them doing so. I honestly believe Ricoh's oversight of their contractor is an embarrassment too.
I agree that BrandStore is a sham operation and shouldn't have Pentax as a contracted storefront customer. BrandStore is apparently owned by a Private Equity firm which likely has little interest in the quality of the end-product.

I don't know enough to know whether there is a better outsourced alternative. I seriously doubt RIAC has the wherewithal to do its own work.

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Not So! I have 12 years in retail and 20 years in distribution and I can tell you that returns are routinely repacked and sold as new! Damaged items are not, but those with no apparent / visible defects are.

No bargains here! Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Pentax Lenses & Flashes
I am shocked! Shocked!!

Actually, I'm not. I once bought an expensive pair of dress shoes from Land's End, post-Sears buyout. I received a mis-fill - wrong color. I sent them back and I received a replacement pair from a local address (Sears warehouse). The tassels were incorrectly tied and there was a slight mark on the sole. I sent them back for a replacement. Ten days later I received . . . . the same pair of shoes!!

These are symptoms of the entitled self-centeredness of the American consumer and the 'free-returns' culture retailers are forced to permit in order to compete. I know people who intentionally buy three sizes of a garment and try them on at home rather than using a changing room - and return two (or maybe all three) copies. I know mothers who buy six dresses for their daughters to try on at home because the dear child doesn't want to go shopping with a parent.

Every Amazon item I've bought on-line this season has a pre-printed UPS Return Label in the box with an RMS Number pre-approved. It's just easier to cover the bases before the pitch than to deal with the Customer Service calls, I guess.

I'm disappointed, but actually not surprised that retailers routinely do that.

Nevertheless, holding good orders in the expectation they will be filled with 'Christmas returns' is craven beyond my capacity to believe.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-20-2014 at 10:45 AM.
12-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #405
Veteran Member

I agree that BrandStore is a sham operation and shouldn't have Pentax as a contracted storefront customer. BrandStore is apparently owned by a Private Equity firm which likely has little interest in the quality of the end-product.

I don't know enough to know whether there is a better outsourced alternative. I seriously doubt RIAC has the wherewithal to do its own work.

I am shocked! Shocked!!

Actually, I'm not. I once bought an expensive pair of dress shoes from Land's End, post-Sears buyout. I received a mis-fill - wrong color. I sent them back and I received a replacement pair from a local address (Sears warehouse). The tassels were incorrectly tied and there was a slight mark on the sole. I sent them back for a replacement. Ten days later I received . . . . the same pair of shoes!!

These are symptoms of the entitled self-centeredness of the American consumer and the 'free-returns' culture retailers are forced to permit in order to compete. I know people who intentionally buy three sizes of a garment and try them on at home rather than using a changing room - and return two (or maybe all three) copies. I know mothers who buy six dresses for their daughters to try on at home because the dear child doesn't want to go shopping with a parent.

Every item I've bought on-line this year has a pre-printed UPS Return Label in the box with an RMS Number pre-approved.

I'm disappointed, but actually not surprised that retailers routinely do that.

Nevertheless, holding good orders in the expectation they will be filled with 'Christmas returns' is craven beyond my capacity to believe.
I hear you. It's hard for me to believe but over the past 4-6 years I've been seeing a lot of things that I never thought I would see (or hear).

For example, my Robotics team won a 3D printer that was sponsored by the printer company (advertisement for them obviously and consumables sales post delivery) and Coca-Cola. They promised to ship 12/9, we rearranged schedules for the Christmas break to take advantage of having a 3D printer for our main competition of the entire season in January. Yesterday the printer had not arrived (10 days post shipment date) and we had received no further communication from the company. So I called the company.

I was told that they had decided to wait to ship until some unspecified date in January, that I had no right to be upset "because its a free printer", and that no team would have any advantage because they were doing this with all the winning teams. I was also told that "No, you may not speak to a supervisor." Seriously?!? I have no right to be ticked off because they unilaterally, without notice, just decided not to ship as promised after we made plans and changed holiday schedules? Oh, and it was not "a free printer" because Coke paid them a significant amount of money as a sponsor of the competition (not to mention we paid for shipping).

Guess who has a friend who is a VP at Coca-Cola (I live in Coke HQ-Land)? Guess who will be calling him on Monday to let him know about the bad PR that this 3D promotion is bringing to Coke?

Small US Companies need to really, really, really step up their game and this sort of stuff is happening more, not less, lately.