Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax web store sales
Posted By: Homo_erectus, 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM

The Pentax web store has some great sales today. Official Pentax Online Store | Pentax Digital Cameras | Pentax Webstore

The FA 31mm Limited is on sale for 773! smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) | Pentax Webstore

The D-FA 50mm Macro is 303. smcP D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax Webstore

There are a lot of other lenses on sale as well although the price cuts are not quite as high generally.

I just ordered the 31mm :-)
Views: 43,828
12-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #466
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG irony doesn't play well on the internet.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm criticizing BrandStore by pointing out how self-centered their entire merchandising strategy is.

OTOH, we seem to have gotten what we paid for. Or, 'too good to be true' really was. Or something

12-24-2014, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OMG irony doesn't play well on the internet.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I'm criticizing BrandStore by pointing out how self-centered their entire merchandising strategy is.

OTOH, we seem to have gotten what we paid for. Or, 'too good to be true' really was. Or something
No, we did not get what we paid for. Here's why. We bought from an Official Pentax dealer. The entire concept of Authorized Dealer is that the ENTIRE company stands behind the items being sold. They are not grey. Beyond that, we bought from THE (singular) "Official" Pentax webstore. Now, what on Earth could we have done to deserve poor service, delayed merchandise, failure to answer emails, misinformation about expected delivery, delays beyond those that Adorama or B&H exhibit when they run out of on-hand merchandise, and inappropriate (I'm not going to say illegal) credit card billing? THEY decided to price as they did, I had no hand in their pricing strategy (as evidenced by my vocal criticism on their Maximum Assured Pricing strategy several years ago). So, they sold more than they bargained for at low prices (funny how low cost leads to higher sales volume - who'd thought!?). This apparently means that they are worried that they may loose money on the deals - the parameters of which they set themselves. So sad. No, we are not getting what we paid for in these deals. Merry Christmas.
12-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #468
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No, we did not get what we paid for. Here's why. We bought from an Official Pentax dealer. The entire concept of Authorized Dealer is that the ENTIRE company stands behind the items being sold. They are not grey. Beyond that, we bought from THE (singular) "Official" Pentax webstore. Now, what on Earth could we have done to deserve poor service, delayed merchandise, failure to answer emails, misinformation about expected delivery, delays beyond those that Adorama or B&H exhibit when they run out of on-hand merchandise, and inappropriate (I'm not going to say illegal) credit card billing? THEY decided to price as they did, I had no hand in their pricing strategy (as evidenced by my vocal criticism on their Maximum Assured Pricing strategy several years ago). So, they sold more than they bargained for at low prices (funny how low cost leads to higher sales volume - who'd thought!?). This apparently means that they are worried that they may loose money on the deals - the parameters of which they set themselves. So sad. No, we are not getting what we paid for in these deals. Merry Christmas.
For FA31mm, the $773 sale price is also not the lowest one I saw. In 2013, adorama seemed to have k5iis bundle sale which put pentax 31 price ~$740.
12-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #469
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Don't see how as it drives away customers. Do you regularly shop where you know you can get what you want now, or do you go whwere you know you'll likely wait a month or two???

I rest my case!

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 08:42 PM ----------

Pentax / Ricoh makes money no matter who sells their product. Competition amongst distributors and retailers is nothing new. It's the American Way!

If Ricoh/Pentax pisses off B&H and Adorama by seriously undercutting them on price then you'll likely see B&H and Adorama drop the Pentax line as it is insignificant part of their product line and that would be the end of Pentax in the U.S. !!

12-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #470
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
If Ricoh/Pentax pisses off B&H and Adorama by seriously undercutting them on price then you'll likely see B&H and Adorama drop the Pentax line as it is insignificant part of their product line and that would be the end of Pentax in the U.S. !!
Very unlikely for one very significant reason - B&H and Adorama, unlike the "Official" Pentax Webstore, are Customer Service oriented and would not really want to alienate a segment of their customer base.
12-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #471
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very unlikely for one very significant reason - B&H and Adorama, unlike the "Official" Pentax Webstore, are Customer Service oriented and would not really want to alienate a segment of their customer base.
Well, it probably won't ever come to that because most of us are loyal B&H/Adorama customers because they treat us right. I for one won't do business with what I view as borderline dishonest companies like Brand Store. Thank goodness for B&H ! ;-)
12-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #472
Pentaxian

Well, it probably won't ever come to that because most of us are loyal B&H/Adorama customers because they treat us right. I for one won't do business with what I view as borderline dishonest companies like Brand Store. Thank goodness for B&H ! ;-)
As others and I proposed before, it is better for PWS to sell refurbished camera and lenses, which does not compete with those online store and authorized dealers directly.
12-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #473
Pentaxian

If y'all wanted the lenses you could have ordered them from B&H or Adorama, and you'd have them by now. What you WANTED was a great deal. I can't see how endless emails are going to speed up delivery. You'll get them when they are in stock.

Neither Ricoh nor the Pentax Web Store care how angry you become.

Patience.

12-30-2014, 05:03 AM   #474
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
If y'all wanted the lenses you could have ordered them from B&H or Adorama, and you'd have them by now. What you WANTED was a great deal. I can't see how endless emails are going to speed up delivery. You'll get them when they are in stock.

Neither Ricoh nor the Pentax Web Store care how angry you become.

Patience.

Yes, we all wanted a great deal, nothing wrong with that. What's got our panties in a bunch is that PWS advertises "backorders ship within 10 business days", then, after 30 days pass, advise you it may be ANOTHER 30 days before they have any stock! I wasn't aware that taking advantage of a sale meant I had to endure endless delays and misinformation (I've gotten 3 different expected arrival dates)! Had they stated something similar to other retailers, along the lines of "backordered - will ship when available" it would be a different story. When you enter a contract with someone (and a purchase agreement IS a form of contract), you expect the terms to be met, in this case that would be "ships within 10 business days".

Also, they are THE Pentax store. You would think the manufacturers own (contracted) store would be able to get their hands on enough product to fulfill orders in a timely manner!

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 12-30-2014 at 05:23 AM.
12-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #475
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Yes, we all wanted a great deal, nothing wrong with that. What's got our panties in a bunch is that PWS advertises "backorders ship within 10 business days", then, after 30 days pass, advise you it may be ANOTHER 30 days before they have any stock! I wasn't aware that taking advantage of a sale meant I had to endure endless delays and misinformation (I've gotten 3 different expected arrival dates)! Had they stated something similar to other retailers, along the lines of "backordered - will ship when available" it would be a different story. When you enter a contract with someone (and a purchase agreement IS a form of contract), you expect the terms to be met, in this case that would be "ships within 10 business days".

Also, they are THE Pentax store. You would think the manufacturers own (contracted) store would be able to get their hands on enough product to fulfill orders in a timely manner!
any new shipping information?
12-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #476
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
any new shipping information?

Last I heard from them was they ere expecting their shipment to arrive on 12/23, got this after inquiring about the "30 day" email they sent, (which BTW, is an FTC requirement for delayed backorders, not PWS being nice trying to keep us informed), obviously that didn't happen or they'd have started shipping out orders by now. This seems to be the PWS modus operandi, hold a sale, promise delivery in a certain time frame, then fail to deliver. Doesn't reflect too kindly on their namesake!
12-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #477
Pentaxian

There's always late night TV. "Not available in any store!"
12-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #478
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote

Now THATS funny!!

12-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Ricoh-Pentax 30-minute infomercial...

"But wait, there's more. Order the complete K-zz kit now and you'll also receive - absolutely free - this custom-made flash shoe cover in a dazzling array of colours. But hurry, this exclusive offer - the entire kit you see here, AND the flash shoe cover - will not be repeated. Operators are standing by to take your order..."
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #480
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am sorely tempted to cancel my order for the FA 31 and just order the FA 77 from B&H before their sale ends tonight. At least I know I would recieve the lens in a reasonable time frame. And I probably would enjoy it just as much. Decisions decisions :/

Last edited by vZwicky; 12-31-2014 at 08:35 PM.