Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax web store sales
Posted By: Homo_erectus, 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM

The Pentax web store has some great sales today. Official Pentax Online Store | Pentax Digital Cameras | Pentax Webstore

The FA 31mm Limited is on sale for 773! smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) | Pentax Webstore

The D-FA 50mm Macro is 303. smcP D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax Webstore

There are a lot of other lenses on sale as well although the price cuts are not quite as high generally.

I just ordered the 31mm :-)
Views: 44,469
01-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #586

QuoteOriginally posted by ragde Quote
I got my 55-300 with the sale price and it looks new. However, I find that the zoom ring is too stiff and as a result I need to hold the camera too tightly to avoid movement when pointing to a subject; I feel that can't be right. The focus ring in contrast is much looser; however, specially more in one direction than the other, it gives a bit the feeling (sound) of friction against sand trapped in there. I have the 18-135 and its zoom ring is softer and I don't have to hold the camera so tightly to avoid movement while zooming; its focus ring feels very comparable to its zoom ring (with no feeling of sand trapped in there). That is, both rings in the 18-135 feel about the same and in between what I experience with the zoom and focus rings in the new 55-300. The rings in the 18-135 feel normal to me and in comparison those in the 55-300 feel abnormal (zoom is too stiff and focus too loose and sandy). I have made only a couple of test shots, and the 55-300 seems normal otherwise. Even if I decided to live with the stiffness of the zoom ring, the "sandy" focus ring worries me. I'd like to hear from other owners ... Thanks.
Just got my WR 55-300 last Friday. I also was slightly disconcerted by a gritty feeling in the focus ring. My first guess was that it's due to the quick shift mechanism, but this is my first lens with that feature so I had no basis for comparison. Your 18-135 has quick shift though, and is not gritty, so that puts a hole in my theory. Wondering now if I should be worried

01-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #587
Site Supporter

My 55-300 is tight also. I'm pretty sure when I read the forum review of this lens that was indicated. I don't know about a gritty sound or feeling. I will have to check that out.
01-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #588
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by allexinwonderland Quote
My 55-300 is tight also. I'm pretty sure when I read the forum review of this lens that was indicated. I don't know about a gritty sound or feeling. I will have to check that out.
I've just tested my new WR next to my 4 year old DAL version and the WR is slightly harder to turn but it also produces a greater rush of air when turned than does the DAL. This appears to be an effect of the WR seals. Again, mine seems fine to me but I have not used it extensively outside yet.
01-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #589
Site Supporter

Thanks for your replies ... though it is difficult without having other copies at hand to compare, from what I hear from you, I am assuming that the tightness of the zoom ring of my copy is within tolerance. Also that the "gritty feeling in the focus ring" is not abnormal. Thanks.

01-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #590
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I received shipping notice for my Q7 Kit and 55-300 WR last week. It has been a week today and the tracking isn't working. I tried to call them yesterday and their offices are closed due to weather. Even though I was assured the pricing would be right I have also been charged full price for 55-300 and $15 shipping instead of free shipping. Never again.

Edit: I must be a slow learner, this is the 3rd time I've tried to buy from PWS and the 3rd time I've vowed never again. I'm a sucker for a deal I guess....
01-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #591
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
I received shipping notice for my Q7 Kit and 55-300 WR last week. It has been a week today and the tracking isn't working. I tried to call them yesterday and their offices are closed due to weather. Even though I was assured the pricing would be right I have also been charged full price for 55-300 and $15 shipping instead of free shipping. Never again.

Edit: I must be a slow learner, this is the 3rd time I've tried to buy from PWS and the 3rd time I've vowed never again. I'm a sucker for a deal I guess....
Gosh, 2 months from BF 2014...