Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax web store sales
Posted By: Homo_erectus, 11-27-2014, 11:41 AM

The Pentax web store has some great sales today. Official Pentax Online Store | Pentax Digital Cameras | Pentax Webstore

The FA 31mm Limited is on sale for 773! smcP FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited (Black) | Pentax Webstore

The D-FA 50mm Macro is 303. smcP D-FA 50mm f2.8 Macro | Pentax Webstore

There are a lot of other lenses on sale as well although the price cuts are not quite as high generally.

I just ordered the 31mm :-)
Views: 59,412
12-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #451
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
They said the Q7 Kit may not come back in stock
Interesting. They be on the point of discontinuing it,
and possibly even preparing a new higher end Q
if the "S" in the Q-S1 name really does mean "entry level".

At any rate, the other usual suspects should have some good offers on the Q7 soon.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
they reinstated my order and discount for the 55-300 which I was told will be shipping next week.
That's good news. Please keep us posted!

12-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #452

In october, i received a very similar letter after ordering the 50 mm lens.

"Due to an unusually large response, we are temporarily out of stock
of the item(s) you ordered. Additional quantities are on order and
we expect them soon. Your order will receive priority upon receipt
in the warehouse, and we expect to be able to ship order within 30
days or sooner. We are very sorry for the delay and assure you that
we are making every effort to expedite your order.

If you wish to cancel your order, please call us at 1-800-243-8633,
or e-mail us at the address listed above. We believe the wait will
be worthwhile, but of course the choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Customer Service"

I waited it out and did received my lens at the discounted price and for me the price was worth the wait. Hope it works out for you all.
12-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #453
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mamawarrior Quote
I waited it out and did received my lens at the discounted price and for me the price was worth the wait. Hope it works out for you all.

How long did it take? We're all approaching 1 month and counting............
12-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #454

I ordered mine, october 12th and received it December 1st. Took 7 weeks .

12-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #455
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mamawarrior Quote
I ordered mine, october 12th and received it December 1st. Took 7 weeks .
Thanks mamawarrior.

It would seem the PWS has a different sales strategy in that they hold their sale THEN stock up, as opposed to stocking up in advance of a sale, like most retailers!

Guess the silver lining is we're 1/2 way there!
12-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It would seem the PWS has a different sales strategy in that they hold their sale THEN stock up, as opposed to stocking up in advance of a sale, like most retailers! . . . . .
Such a strategy makes your inventory turn sooooooo much better, though.
12-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
They might not have inventory at all.... If you read from the initial thread, you can find that they sold 50s FA 31mm and only have 30s FA 31mm in stock. And it still shows back-order for one month due to the extra 20s! You can find they really have a very low sale volume throughout the year!!!

12-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
They might not have inventory at all.... If you read from the initial thread, you can find that they sold 50s FA 31mm and only have 30s FA 31mm in stock. And it still shows back-order for one month due to the extra 20s! You can find they really have a very low sale volume throughout the year!!!
Given that they have the highest prices, highest shipping costs, and worst customer service of the online options in the US that is not a surprise in the least. They only really move merchandise when they put on a legitimate sale such as the Black Friday sale. The problem is that they do not prepare adequately for such an event despite this happening many times in the past. Failure to alter their behavior would tend to indicate a lack of concern for the abuse their customers suffer due to their failure to stock sufficient quantities.
12-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #459
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Remember it's a fine line. You're not meant to *compete* with your distribution and retail partners, but supplement them.

The day they undercut Adorama/BH/whatever on price or delivery time, they have given up on the 'normal' sales model.
12-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #460
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember it's a fine line. You're not meant to *compete* with your distribution and retail partners, but supplement them.

The day they undercut Adorama/BH/whatever on price or delivery time, they have given up on the 'normal' sales model.
Granted. But on those occasions when they decide to do so mightn't it be appropriate to lay in sufficient stock?
12-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Granted. But on those occasions when they decide to do so mightn't it be appropriate to lay in sufficient stock?
The Webstore is a Dealer just like any other Dealer. It just happens to have Pentax on the canopy over the door.

It was suggested upthread RIAC drop BrandStore as the operator altogether in favor of just merchandising through B&H and Adorama.

Take that idea a step further and investigate whether B&H or Adorama could/would 'operate' the Pentax Webstore on a 'RIAC-branded' basis.
12-24-2014, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #462
Veteran Member

The Webstore is a Dealer just like any other Dealer. It just happens to have Pentax on the canopy over the door.

It was suggested upthread RIAC drop BrandStore as the operator altogether in favor of just merchandising through B&H and Adorama.

Take that idea a step further and investigate whether B&H or Adorama could/would 'operate' the Pentax Webstore on a 'RIAC-branded' basis.
If Pentax wants their own brand on the storefront fine. B&H and Adorama already have very successful companies of their own. Brandstore can't be only one online fulfillment company out there that could provide this service to Pentax USA. BrandStore is one of the worst online retailers I have had the misfortune of dealing with and this isn't new - it goes back at least 4 years over numerous interactions. Pentax USA really, REALLY, needs to get on the stick here and change this situation.
12-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #463
Banned

Don't see how as it drives away customers. Do you regularly shop where you know you can get what you want now, or do you go whwere you know you'll likely wait a month or two???

I rest my case!

---------- Post added 12-24-14 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Remember it's a fine line. You're not meant to *compete* with your distribution and retail partners, but supplement them. The day they undercut Adorama/BH/whatever on price or delivery time, they have given up on the 'normal' sales model.

Pentax / Ricoh makes money no matter who sells their product. Competition amongst distributors and retailers is nothing new. It's the American Way!
12-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Don't see how as it drives away customers. Do you regularly shop where you know you can get what you want now, or do you go whwere you know you'll likely wait a month or two???
Uhmmm - if you don't order until you've sold, your inventory only sits in the warehouse for one day. If you order first and sell second your inventory sits around, well, longer.

That's a faster inventory turnover rate - and it will a pretty dry comment.
12-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #465
Banned

Uhmmm - if you don't order until you've sold, your inventory only sits in the warehouse for one day. If you order first and sell second your inventory sits around, well, longer.

I see, and paying for empty warehouse space and making your customers wait an inordinate amount of time for their purchases is a good business practice in your mind???

Maybe I'm a bit anal about this, but I prefer to spend my hard earned money with sellers that actually have what I want, when I want it! Back Orders happen, but it shouldn't take months to fill them, and the ship date shouldn't change every couple of days. I'll gladly spend a little more for something if the seller A) Can deliver what's promised in a timely manner, and B) Backs that up with good customer service AFTER the sale. If PWS has no qualms about making us wait MONTHS for items, what's the odds their service AFTER the sale is worth a damn?

I'll wait this out, THIS TIME, because it was a self gift, and isn't really needed right away, but I'll never spend another penny at PWS no matter how low they price things!