Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax 1.4x-DA AF Rear Converter $529
Posted By: onlineflyer, 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM

Now $529.95 at B&H. Lowest price i've seen to date.

Pentax 1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter AW for K-Mount 37962

Views: 2,383
12-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Now $529.95 at B&H. Lowest price i've seen to date.

Pentax 1.4x HD PENTAX-DA AF Rear Converter AW for K-Mount 37962
Dang.... and I paid $549 last week at B&H... :-(
12-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
Give them a call, they may credit the difference since it is less than 30 days.
12-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Give them a call, they may credit the difference since it is less than 30 days.

Well, I hate to get picky over $20 bucks. But it might go down more cause it is in my opinion way over priced....

12-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I was fortunate in finding a very lightly used one on the Marketplace by a poster moving to Sony FF. I was very happy...

12-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Well, I hate to get picky over $20 bucks. But it might go down more cause it is in my opinion way over priced....
Yeah, IMHO, it is overpriced.
12-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought it new earlier this year in Tokyo for 46700 yen.. I think it is cheaper; perhaps it is subject to currency fluctuation between yen and USD.
12-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #8

Ordered from Adorama on 11/28 for $496.95 with free shipping. Listed as Available for Pre Order to ship first come first served. To be delivered, UPS Monday 12/8. Hope it works as well as I've read with DA *300 and D FA 100.

12-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #9

I've just ordered this teleconverter seing it was 546 usd from B&H last week . But just before I received it, the price went down to 529 USD. I emailed B&H customer Service explaining my issue and asked for a refund of 17 $. They at once emailed back agreeing to refund the difference.I think you should try your chance too.
12-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is the Pentax TC expensive? - yes.
Is it over-priced? - yes, but not by much IMHO, compared to brand name equivalents.

B&H pricing today:
Sony SAL-14TC 1.4x APO (D) Teleconverter - $548
Pentax 1.4x HD DA AF Rear Converter AW - $529.95
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III - $496.95
Canon Extender EF 1.4X III - $449.00

But the Pentax TC is of course miles more expensive than the current Sigma:
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter - $249

However the price of the new 'Global Vision' Sigma TC has started to creep up:
Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon/Nikon/Sigma - $349.00
12-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by muratozen Quote
I've just ordered this teleconverter seing it was 546 usd from B&H last week . But just before I received it, the price went down to 529 USD. I emailed B&H customer Service explaining my issue and asked for a refund of 17 $. They at once emailed back agreeing to refund the difference.I think you should try your chance too.

Maybe I will.... the difference would buy me a nice SanDisk 32 GB memory card! ;-)

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 04:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Is it over-priced? - yes, but not by much IMHO, compared to brand name equivalents.

B&H pricing today:
Sony SAL-14TC 1.4x APO (D) Teleconverter - $548
Pentax 1.4x HD DA AF Rear Converter AW - $529.95
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III - $496.95
Canon Extender EF 1.4X III - $449.00

Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter - $249

Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon/Nikon/Sigma - $349.00

I'd agree that it is in line with the other high end lens manufacturers but I'd say that they are all fleecing their customers. What is it about that little piece of glass, metal and plastic that makes it more expensive than probably dozens of lenses also made by those same lens manufacturers that use three or four times as much material and take more time to actually fabricate? Doesn't add up...
12-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doesn't add up...
Agreed. TC's seem relatively simple devices. But who really knows the true cost of their production. Maybe the limited production run they make of these things means unit costs will always remain high. If they decided they needed to manufacture 2 million of them because of huge demand from China or something, maybe the unit cost would be peanuts and they could sell them much cheaper.
12-06-2014, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. TC's seem relatively simple devices. But who really knows the true cost of their production. Maybe the limited production run they make of these things means unit costs will always remain high. If they decided they needed to manufacture 2 million of them because of huge demand from China or something, maybe the unit cost would be peanuts and they could sell them much cheaper.
I attribute the high cost to their specialization. There are many options when choosing lenses--you don't have to buy the 30 f/1.4 if there's a 28 f/1.4 available (perhaps from a 3rd party). But then a 35mm f/2.4 or f/2 might also get the job done. But if these lenses are too expensive, then users will stick with what they have, so pricing is competitive within brands. A TC...well, they come as 1.4x, 2x, and very rarely 1.7x. That means each brand is only going to make one, so competition is between brands, not brands and models. Plus, there's nothing else like them, so the choices are have one or don't. Once the first one comes out, the others will price theirs similarly and see how sales go. Prices will vary accordingly, but if the first TC came out and sold as expected for $500, that is going to be the price.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 06:53 PM ----------

There's really just no way for the manufacturing cost of a TC to be very high. A 1.4x TC is usually four elements, fewer than found in the DA35. Electronics should be about the same between the two. Sure, fewer are sold, but the development and cost can't be all that high, due to the relatively simple optics inherent to the device.
12-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is pretty expensive but from what I've seen it's a real game changer in combination with the DA*300/4. It looks to me that that TC takes that lens to "a whole 'nuther level".
12-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H pricing today:
  • Sony SAL-14TC 1.4x APO (D) Teleconverter - $548 - found no information
  • Pentax 1.4x HD DA AF Rear Converter AW - $529.95 - Composed of four elements in three groups, the HD PENTAX DA AF 1.4X AW rear converter features superior optics and incorporates the PENTAX-developed HD coating.
  • Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III - $496.95 - the 7 element AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III achieves superb 1.4x enlargement with only a 1-stop loss of light. Fluorine coatings protect the front and rear surfaces, and a durable lens barrel with water-drop resistance ensures the AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III
  • Canon Extender EF 1.4X III - $449.00 - is an eight-element design, and is optically and completely different from the standard accessory EF 1.4x III extender
Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter - $249 - 5 elements in 3 groups

Sigma TC-1401 1.4x Teleconverter for Canon/Nikon/Sigma - $349.00 - utilize a splash and dust proof construction for long lasting durability
Well, the Pentax TC is not the most complex optical design, nor is it the only sealed one. It appears that they all offer automatic AF adjustment. Their market size is 1/10 that of Nikon and Canon, so their volume is going to be substantially lower, thus their overall profitability is capped in comparison.

Without really siting down and doing a comparison in IQ across DR, noise, any difference in character, its essentially impossible to do any type of comparative analysis in over all image quality. I think that at this time all you can say is that its excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I attribute the high cost to their specialization. There are many options when choosing lenses--you don't have to buy the 30 f/1.4 if there's a 28 f/1.4 available (perhaps from a 3rd party). But then a 35mm f/2.4 or f/2 might also get the job done. But if these lenses are too expensive, then users will stick with what they have, so pricing is competitive within brands. A TC...well, they come as 1.4x, 2x, and very rarely 1.7x. That means each brand is only going to make one, so competition is between brands, not brands and models. Plus, there's nothing else like them, so the choices are have one or don't. Once the first one comes out, the others will price theirs similarly and see how sales go. Prices will vary accordingly, but if the first TC came out and sold as expected for $500, that is going to be the price.

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 06:53 PM ----------

There's really just no way for the manufacturing cost of a TC to be very high. A 1.4x TC is usually four elements, fewer than found in the DA35. Electronics should be about the same between the two. Sure, fewer are sold, but the development and cost can't be all that high, due to the relatively simple optics inherent to the device.
I do wish the price was lower. The MSRP is $597, which is just crazy. To top it off, the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales only offered a $50 discount. When Kennedy the distributor down in OZ matched on Black Friday, it was 15% off on everything - based on a sale price and not MSRP - so down in OZ it was something like $460 out the door (one day only). I did find a used one for $450 that I snapped up. A lower price would allow more folks to acquire it - but I have given up trying to understand anything that has to do with marketing and Pentax. The two terms are incompatible.

I used mine for the first time today. The results looked good. So, overall right now I am happy - but my wallet is a lot thinner.