Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Used DA 20-40mm condition 9+ for $575
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 12-09-2014, 08:12 AM

Offered used by B&H, with a 90 day B&H warranty and extended holiday returns until February 1, 2015:

Condition 9+ (Shows little or no signs of wear), with box, Pentax DA 20-40mm, for $575
Used Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR 23000

Or get one brand-new with full 1-year Pentax warranty for $679
Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR Lens 23000
Views: 1,177
12-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great price, I was actually hoping for a used lens in that price range based on the recent sale price, but I couldn't resist long enough and bought one at the sale price.
12-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The only concern I have is that these used models are returns from people who found them to be decentered or have other problems. But I'm hoping that the returns are people who just didn't like it.. In any case, they must have more than one in stock in their used department because I bought one and then they relisted another one, at the same 9+ condition! Can't wait to put it through the paces and see if there is anything wrong with it; I've been wanting this lens for a while but not at the $1000 price, or even $800, but sub-$700, it definitely has appeal. If I can get a good-condition, fully functioning used one for sub-$600, then I'll be even happier!
12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Given the price, I can only assume it was a return from a Black Friday sale purchase - so at most it is a week old, and more likely a return out of impulse purchase than any issues. Or at least that's what I'd tell myself lol.

12-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, I hope you're right. Also, one person's trash is another person's treasure. I'm not the biggest pixel peeper and my standards/expectations aren't sky high. I am also more forgiving of faults if I didn't spend too much on the lens.
12-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

And as an FYI to any New Yorkers, B&H is willing to let you test the lens right in the store. I've done it before with used lenses, where I ask if I can mount it on my camera and test shot. I just set it down on the counter, focus on the back wall, and timed shutter to get a decent shot for testing.
12-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

Hm - the hood and pouch aren't listed under the "In the Box" tab. Maybe the previous owner lost them, or perhaps they were never included?
12-09-2014, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

It's a curious lack, but the lens cap won't fit on the lens without the hood. I suspect that B&H didn't realize the hood is already mounted on the lens. Would be worth asking though (does the lens cap fit onto the front of the lens?).

12-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
Hm - the hood and pouch aren't listed under the "In the Box" tab. Maybe the previous owner lost them, or perhaps they were never included?
You know, I noticed that as well. I'm a little worried about that but can't imagine that they would ship a 9+ condition lens without the hood, but with the lens cap, where the lens cap only fits on the lens if the lens has the hood attached. So I'm hoping that it was just an oversight in the listing. I'll find out for sure on Thursday, when my used lens arrives!

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 02:17 PM ----------

Just did an online chat with B&H and the guy originally said no hood or pouch. Then I pointed out that the lens cap only fits if there is a hood. He told me to wait while he checked on it and then wrote:

"hood YES no pouch"

So, it's a bit disappointing to be missing out on the lovely faux-leather limited lens pouch but I guess the discounted price helps with that omission a bit.

---------- Post added 12-09-14 at 02:24 PM ----------

A replacement pouch, P70-150 Soft Case, costs $60.
Pentax P70-150 Lens Soft Case for HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm 37758 B&H

So this used deal is not looking quite as good as just getting the lens brand-new.... oh well.
12-11-2014, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just received the lens and have been taking a few quick snapshots. First, mine came with the box, looked practically brand-new, no paperwork of any kind, and there was the faux-leather pouch (which the lens was inside) and the lens hood along with both caps. I'm very impressed with how light and compact it is for a zoom capable of f/2.8, even if it's only from 20-23mm. Vibrant colors, looks a lot like the images taken with my DA 21 and DA 40. Seems sharp enough, even wide open. Autofocus speed isn't as slow as I had feared but it's not lightning fast either. A really beautifully constructed metal body. I have mine mounted on my K-50 and haven't yet tried it on my K-01. I think I'm going to really love using this new zoom for the upcoming Christmas holidays and my trip to San Francisco!

Thank you, Santa, for the early Christmas present!!!
12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Enjoy! Just a word of warning: When using the lens outside with a glove in cold temperatures, touching the lens with bare skin may be shocking as to how cold it can become!
12-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Given the price, I can only assume it was a return from a Black Friday sale purchase - so at most it is a week old, and more likely a return out of impulse purchase than any issues. Or at least that's what I'd tell myself lol.
The point is that if it is a customer return out of impulse purchase, why would B&H sell it as 'used'... they would lose money for every one of these if customers return them for no reason other than 'don't like it'. It would be safe to assume this is the case if this is in Asia, where you have to pay restocking fee unless defective.

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 04:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
For a 'limited' lens, it better have hood and pouch included...

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-11-2014 at 02:44 PM.
12-11-2014, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I have mine mounted on my K-50 and haven't yet tried it on my K-01.
The PDAF on my K-50 doesn't always get my DA 20-40 focused to the lens's full sharpness at the wide end
(without using the parfocal property focusing at 40mm and then zooming out),
so recently I've been enjoying the lens on a K-01.
12-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The point is that if it is a customer return out of impulse purchase, why would B&H sell it as 'used'... they would lose money for every one of these if customers return them for no reason other than 'don't like it'. It would be safe to assume this is the case if this is in Asia, where you have to pay restocking fee unless defective.

---------- Post added 12-11-2014 at 04:27 PM ----------

For a 'limited' lens, it better have hood and pouch included...
I can't imagine them selling it as anything BUT used... it's been used. And I assume they sell it at a price where they don't lose money over the actual cost of lens to them - i.e. B&H gets the lens for $400, they sell it at $600 per the MAP from Pentax, and they'll sell the recently used lens at $500. Obviously the actual margin is way closer, but that's just an example from me.

Unless they have an Open Box category, I don't see them relisting the lens as new.