PENTAX Pentax-DA 18-55 mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR : 80 CAD
Pentax D-FA Macro 50 mm f2.8 : 200 CAD
PENTAX Pentax-DA 50 mm f1.8 96 CAD
METZ Metz 50 AF-1 Pentax : 104 CAD
Views: 7,059
12-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Bought the Tamron, 50 macro and two metz flashes. Page is now giving access denied so I hope its not a mistake lol

12-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #17

Made an order 2 days ago and now received email that items ( Tamron 90, Pentax 50 Macro) are not in stock.

I hope they are not just scamming to get my credit card info.

Time to call MasterCard.
12-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, they don't ship outside of Canada, they don't accept credit cards with non-Canadian addresses even if shipping in-Canada, and they don't update their online in-stock listing with reasonable frequency. As far as I am concerned, they can go kiss my arse.
12-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

They better fufill all orders that went through though. I'll wait for stock to come in lol

12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bodson Quote
They better fufill all orders that went through though. I'll wait for stock to come in lol
QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
Made an order 2 days ago and now received email that items ( Tamron 90, Pentax 50 Macro) are not in stock.

I hope they are not just scamming to get my credit card info.

Time to call MasterCard.
I think they're reputable, just have a terrible online store that doesn't keep track of stock.

Don't count on restock, these are all probably 'clearance'. My 50mm macro order was cancelled, as was a lensbaby order I made on black friday (with no Credit Card problems). I'm now 0 for 2 with Lens and Shutter, I don't think they'll get a chance at a 3rd disappointment for me.
12-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welp. My order got cancelled. I guess all three of the items were out of stock I had better luck with them when I ordered on Black Friday.
12-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I think they're reputable, just have a terrible online store that doesn't keep track of stock.

Don't count on restock, these are all probably 'clearance'. My 50mm macro order was cancelled, as was a lensbaby order I made on black friday (with no Credit Card problems). I'm now 0 for 2 with Lens and Shutter, I don't think they'll get a chance at a 3rd disappointment for me.

My understanding is that the Pentax 50mm Macro and Tamron 90mm Macro are still in production and available for dealers to order.

In my world, a reputable dealer would simply offer to order the items is order to honor the contract or admit that there was a pricing error and offer at least token compensation.

If they have a defective website, they should take it offline and fix it. To continue to enter into sales agreements, wasting consumers time and tie up credit accounts, is simply unconscionable.

They need to step up and take responsibility.

12-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Well, they don't ship outside of Canada, they don't accept credit cards with non-Canadian addresses even if shipping in-Canada, and they don't update their online in-stock listing with reasonable frequency. As far as I am concerned, they can go kiss my arse.
I accept the later complaints about cancelled orders, but why are you so vocal? A Canadian store that keeps all its shipping in Canada and chooses to limit its business costs and the risk for fraud? Happens to me in reverse for US sites, or if my in-laws try to order something for us with a non Canadian credit card. There are costs associated with verification of credit cards and if they don't want to access non Canadian databases so be it.

---------- Post added 12-29-14 at 10:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by traxino Quote
I cannot reach the site from the US. Is it down or is it still available from Canada?
Site is up. Link to the Tamron lens brings you to a page that the site is down, but that is their way of saying the link is dead. Other Tamron (non-Pentax) lenses are still up for sale in the blue dot section. All the Pentax lenses have been removed from the blue dot section, but the flash is still listed.
12-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I expect that we are going to see a whole stack of cancellations again. The chain has 3 physical locations and I doubt that they have as many as 2 copies per store of their higher value clearance merchandise (*unless the person making the chain's inventory buying decisions several years ago was very bad at their job) . With a reasonable sounding guess at somewhere between 1 and 6 copies of any given clearance item and a webstore that doesn't take inventory levels into account your chances of making a successful purchase aren't very good unless you are one of the very first people to decide to buy.

I do wonder how long some of the clearance merchandise has been kicking around on store shelves - those DBG-2 grips and D-LI50 batteries were discontinued with the K20d in 2009, and they could be several years older than that. Several local stores cleared out their remaining D-LI50s at $5 a piece years ago.
12-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
My understanding is that the Pentax 50mm Macro and Tamron 90mm Macro are still in production and available for dealers to order.

In my world, a reputable dealer would simply offer to order the items is order to honor the contract or admit that there was a pricing error and offer at least token compensation.

If they have a defective website, they should take it offline and fix it. To continue to enter into sales agreements, wasting consumers time and tie up credit accounts, is simply unconscionable.

They need to step up and take responsibility.
I agree completely. 'Honest' would have been a more appropriate word than 'reputable' in my post- I don't think it was a scam so much as an error (a bad one). An error they've made before, but this seems to be on a larger scale so hopefully they'll clue in that this is no way to run the online portion of their business.
12-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I agree completely. 'Honest' would have been a more appropriate word than 'reputable' in my post- I don't think it was a scam so much as an error (a bad one). An error they've made before, but this seems to be on a larger scale so hopefully they'll clue in that this is no way to run the online portion of their business.
You'd think they'd learn that awesome deals on Pentax equipment will get publicized on this forum and gobbled up
12-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #27
Forum Member

I have no problem with it but in Canada only, happens all the time of Amazon and other sites or you pay huge impact fees and shipping. The problem is that they need to have better inventory markings and simply counter stating what's left would suffice
12-30-2014, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Inactive Account

Hello Pentax Lovers,

Just wanted to quickly post up some info regarding our store and the Blue Dot Boxing week sale.

1) Our sincere apologies for the inventory issues. Yes, we have a problem. The inventory for some products was not calculating correctly and we unfortunately accepted more orders than we had stock to supply.

This was in no way intentional. All of our team has been working over time to deal with this. We are doing our very best to catch up with the orders, communicate with all affected clients and where possible find alternative products. (not possible with products like the Pentax 50mm F2.8 Macro, but we have been doing a lot of mix and matching with tripod components)

We are updating the site and removing sold out products as soon as they are discovered. Unfortunately with inventory in three stores it sometimes take a bit of back and forth to determine where a specific product is.

2) We do not charge anything to your credit card until the order is processed and ready to ship.. There is only a preauthorization run. This means that your bank checks to see that there is an available balance on your card to cover the sale, and places a hold for that amount. For any orders that are cancelled we release that immediately.

3) I understand the frustration that some of you are feeling and I again apologize for disappointing you. We've been working very hard to restablish Lens & Shutter and I can tell you it is quite heartbreaking to fail at making customers happy. We are not an Amazon, or other type of super store. We're mostly just a bunch of photographers trying to make a living doing what we love. We're sorry we messed up, but I'm here to tell you that we are listening and we do care.

Feel free to comment here or email us directly. info@lensandshutter.com

Matt, David and the rest of The Lens & Shutter team.
12-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response. You may also want to head reply over at [LensAndShutter.com] Photography equipment deals - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

QuoteOriginally posted by Lensandshutter Quote
We are not an Amazon, or other type of super store.
This, for me, is also part of the disappointment because I'm rooting for the smaller Canadian camera stores to make a go at an online presence, especially the ones that stock Pentax products. The more available shops the better, so I hope you guys are able to make the changes necessary to prevent this sort of thing from happening again and still offer crazy clearance deals to the few lucky enough to nab them.

All the best
12-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Thanks for the response. I'm waiting for news on availability for a gimbal. I'll be watching your site the future when I'm buying. I thought you had closed, and am glad to see you are still operating.