Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
L-Bracket for K-3 and Nodal Rail less than $60
Posted By: mikeodial, 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

After much searching I purchased and received these two items to complete a panormas set up for the K-3. I have the Acratech GP ballhead which has a Panoramic Base and Gimball and is small enough to be transportable.

Was trying to avoid spending many more dollars on a custom L bracket and nodal system. These two items complete the deal for me (at least for now) for less than $60.

The L Bracket ($29.95)

Amazon.com : Desmond L Plate DAL-1 Quick Release Arca Swiss Compatible for Camera / Tripod Head : Camera L Bracket : Camera & Photo

The Nodal Rail ($28.96)

Amazon.com : Neewer 140mm Professional Rail Nodal Slide Metal Quick Release Clamp for Camera with Arca Swiss Compatible : Camera & Photo

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by mikeodial; 01-26-2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Pictures added
Views: 3,523
01-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a newb on panorama. Why is the nodal rail needed when it seems you could just attach the l-bracket on your ball head?
01-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I am a newb on panorama. Why is the nodal rail needed when it seems you could just attach the l-bracket on your ball head?
So that the lens is aligned with the nodal point to eliminate parallax.

FINDING THE NO-PARALLAX POINT

But I think I would just spend the extra $30 or so on a Panosaurus

The Panosaurus Panoramic Tripod Head Home Page

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-26-2015 at 11:08 AM.
01-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was just going to ask the same thing. Also new to panoramas but would like to try some. Any good guides to all the details?

01-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I was just going to ask the same thing. Also new to panoramas but would like to try some. Any good guides to all the details?
The following forum has a lot of information. And much on the products involved.

VRwave.com - Your guide to panoramic photography • Index page

---------- Post added 01-26-15 at 01:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So that the lens is aligned with the nodal point to eliminate parallax.

FINDING THE NO-PARALLAX POINT

But I think I would just spend the extra $30 or so on a Panosaurus

The Panosaurus Panoramic Tripod Head Home Page

I did consider this, but with the L-bracket I can use K3 with my gimball head easily and now that I have it, the L-bracket actually seems to help me hold the camera more stable. This way for standard tripod shooting the only thing I need to add when I start shooting panoramas is the rail and set it for the "nodal point" for the specific lens. I also can carry the rail in my tripod bag with the GP set with the pano base already to go as shown in the picture.

Another reason, I do plan to try and use the nodal rail for Macro work, also easier with the single rail set up.

Nothing against the Panosaurus at all.
01-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
The following forum has a lot of information. And much on the products involved.
Thank You!
01-27-2015, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #7

While I went for original $150 RRS L-Plate for my K-3 body (no battery grip, as I disliked grip of my earlier K10d) I also purchased bargain
www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-MPU100-Release-L-Plate-Bracket-For-Camera-Body-Arca-Swiss-Kirk-NEX6-7-/111568465847
- very good quality for very good price. I keep this as a spare.

01-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That looks just the same as the one I just paid $29 for. Have ordered one for my K-01.
01-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep an arca swiss tripod plate on my k-3 all the time. For those few times when an L bracket would be useful, like panos, is there an L bracket with A/S clamp that would mount on my existing plate without having to take it off?

---------- Post added 01-27-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

Mike, do you keep your Acratech GP upside down all the time or just switch over when you want to use it for panos?
01-27-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep an arca swiss tripod plate on my k-3 all the time. For those few times when an L bracket would be useful, like panos, is there an L bracket with A/S clamp that would mount on my existing plate without having to take it off?
I do as well. Barring that you can get a clamp and attach it to the cheap L bracket above.
01-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster

---------- Post added 01-27-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

Mike, do you keep your Acratech GP upside down all the time or just switch over when you want to use it for panos?
I keep it that way all the time (90%) unless I need to use the gimball. Now with the L bracket probably keep it that way, just switch the camera to vertical position. The ballhead is fully adjustable on the GP and you can level it each time with the panning base.
01-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

I keep Really Right Stuff L-Bracket all the time on the K-3 body, you almost forget it is there, you appreciate L-Plate when shooting vertical with the camera shutter buttons down (hot-shoe flash to the right side) with much better handling of the camera body (you hang your camera with your left hand which I prefer rather than support camera baody with your right hand operating the shutter).
To be honest RRS L-Bracket makes accesing AF/MF and RAW buttons (on the left front side of the body) very difficult.
Generic L-Bracket might be very similar with the above.

-----
01-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Forum Member

I have looked at the Desmond L Plate but was unsure if you can access the HDMI plug on the LH side of the camera or do you have to take the bracket off? I like that you can get to the battery with it on. It's nice to see what it looks like on a pentax. Thanks for the info.
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theskonesdad Quote
I have looked at the Desmond L Plate but was unsure if you can access the HDMI plug on the LH side of the camera or do you have to take the bracket off? I like that you can get to the battery with it on. It's nice to see what it looks like on a pentax. Thanks for the info.
You have to take it off to get to that. For me that's not a big deal but if you use it a lot that might be a nuisance. Access to the memory cards and the cable release are more important to me.
01-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
You have to take it off to get to that. For me that's not a big deal but if you use it a lot that might be a nuisance. Access to the memory cards and the cable release are more important to me.

I agree with you on this as it was a secondary concern for me,my primary concern was battery access. I do not use it a lot but was curious if it was accessible. Thank you for the reply,much appreciated.