Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
HUGE Sigma going "cheap" for Canon
Posted By: i_trax, 01-31-2015, 02:42 AM

Sigma EX 200 500mm F 2 8 APO DG Lens FOR Canon DSLR Full Frame Cameras 085126597542 | eBay

Attached Images

Views: 3,900
01-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Had one, gave it up as unwieldy when every time I went to take a photo here in Maine I'd get a shot of Canada, Mexico, or (once) France instead.

Very annoying.

01-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Are there any real reviews of this lens somewhere?
Just a few fun posts and test shots from Lens Rentals is all I've seen.
It seems a very sharp lens.

LensRentals.com - A Big Addition
LensRentals.com - A Little More Sigma 200-500 Fun
01-31-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not available in Pentax mount. Pentax is dead.
01-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
Not available in Pentax mount. Pentax is dead.
Correction - the phrase is "Pentax is DOOMED!"

01-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Correction - the phrase is "Pentax is DOOMED!"
Ya ^, do we have to teach you everything?

That will fit on a ti3 right?
02-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Just curious. Are there any real reviews of this lens somewhere?
from amazon.com

Though I haven't dished out $30k to buy this, (no average Joe will)I was able to borrow it for a few from a friend's dad, who owns a large photography company in my town. I thought I would give an actual honest review.

Alas, it's large. Paraphrase that a bit better -- it's huge. It is virtually impossible to take rewarding photos without a heavy-duty tripod. It weighs about as much as my three year old son does. That being said, this lens is downright outstanding for nature, animal, or sport photographers. I personally used it for scenic photos, and it got the job done in a fashion never thought possible. I was able to take a photo of small birds from great distances in a way that I could see the specks of dirt on their feathers. Keep in mind, its not a considerably long focal range. 200mm in reality is not very long, but when used with a tele-convo, I can take pictures at focal lengths close to 1000mm. All in all, build quality is stellar.

When used on my 5D MII and 1D Mark III, I noticed the colors didn't pop as much as my other lenses, in particular the ones apart of the "L" series by Canon, but I did notice that this lens works great in a large array of light sources. At a mere f/2.8 or so, you can take pictures without having to worry about low light conditions. Obviously, larger light = clearer pictures.

If your looking for a great lens that portrays a great focal range, great build quality, and a nice companion for your (hence) professional photo career, this lens is for you. Its no small cost, obviously you all know that. Besides the cost, there is nothing bad to say about this bad boy. Honestly though, I don't truly recommend this to any hobbyist because I know you all can use the money toward something a little bit more 'down to Earth'. If you make a decent amount of profit from your company, go for it. You won't regret taking the plunge if you do.
02-01-2015, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard that with high levels of humidity you do not find fungus but sequoias inside.
02-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, for 6€ today at a swap, I bought a 14 blade Isconar 135/4 ... top that you big green Sigma Hulk !!!

02-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
from amazon.com

Though I haven't dished out $30k to buy this, (no average Joe will)I was able to borrow it for a few from a friend's dad, who owns a large photography company in my town. I thought I would give an actual honest review.

Alas, it's large. Paraphrase that a bit better -- it's huge. It is virtually impossible to take rewarding photos without a heavy-duty tripod. It weighs about as much as my three year old son does. That being said, this lens is downright outstanding for nature, animal, or sport photographers. I personally used it for scenic photos, and it got the job done in a fashion never thought possible. I was able to take a photo of small birds from great distances in a way that I could see the specks of dirt on their feathers. Keep in mind, its not a considerably long focal range. 200mm in reality is not very long, but when used with a tele-convo, I can take pictures at focal lengths close to 1000mm. All in all, build quality is stellar.

When used on my 5D MII and 1D Mark III, I noticed the colors didn't pop as much as my other lenses, in particular the ones apart of the "L" series by Canon, but I did notice that this lens works great in a large array of light sources. At a mere f/2.8 or so, you can take pictures without having to worry about low light conditions. Obviously, larger light = clearer pictures.

If your looking for a great lens that portrays a great focal range, great build quality, and a nice companion for your (hence) professional photo career, this lens is for you. Its no small cost, obviously you all know that. Besides the cost, there is nothing bad to say about this bad boy. Honestly though, I don't truly recommend this to any hobbyist because I know you all can use the money toward something a little bit more 'down to Earth'. If you make a decent amount of profit from your company, go for it. You won't regret taking the plunge if you do.
We could use the $$ to buy a house in St. John, AVI! Escape the snow, take pics of beach people, windsurf to St.George. No tripod required.
02-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Each lens comes with a free Nissan Versa for transport.
02-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The handle on the top is for the truck crane hook.
02-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Questions and answers about this item
Q: Would you swap for a very good condition Canon 500mm L series?
A: No.

02-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You also get a surplus siege gun carriage to serve as a tripod.
02-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
You also get a surplus siege gun carriage to serve as a tripod.
You don't need a seige gun, you could kill someone with that lens alone.
02-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Kind of changes the meaning when you mount a "Canon" camera to it.