Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Not much good if you live in Australia! where you have to pay $50+ postage and then the very poor exchange rate.

02-26-2015, 02:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Not much good if you live in Australia! where you have to pay $50+ postage and then the very poor exchange rate.
Don't complain ...

At least (for purchases under $1000), there is no GST/VAT/import duties for Australians. Our European friends have to pay 20%+ VAT, and customs duties, and freight AND deal with the exchange rate. Aussies have it pretty good.

And you should have tried buying from the US in 2008/2009, when the AUD fell to US60c or so, and the exchange rate fluctuated wildly for about 6 months too. Those were bad days.
02-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
B&H's web site says that the DA* 200mm deal expires on March 1st, but I don't know about the others. Will keep you guys posted once I learn more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Don't complain ...

At least (for purchases under $1000), there is no GST/VAT/import duties for Australians. Our European friends have to pay 20%+ VAT, and customs duties, and freight AND deal with the exchange rate. Aussies have it pretty good.

And you should have tried buying from the US in 2008/2009, when the AUD fell to US60c or so, and the exchange rate fluctuated wildly for about 6 months too. Those were bad days.
Agree. We do have it lucky in most respects. There are means and ways around the postage issue too. It all depends on how you approach the issue.

03-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Just FYI ... my B&M's website lists the 200/2.8 at 939€ ... Pentax 200 / 2,8 ed if sdm garanti 2 ans - Pentax
03-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Try DCXpert on Ebay. It's the Ebay arm of C R Kennedy and they have prices that are very competitive with these. Stuff gets from Melbourne to Perth in a couple of days.
03-02-2015, 05:29 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Looks like the B&H lens specials are still going on. I didn't check the prices with Adam's original post but here is the current list:

Pentax Lenses | B&H Photo Video

03-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Looks like the B&H lens specials are still going on. I didn't check the prices with Adam's original post but here is the current list:

Pentax Lenses | B&H Photo Video
Prices have gone up on several lenses, but not back to list prices. For example, several of the silver lenses previously were priced lower than their black counterparts.

Another example:
  • Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 HD Macro Limited Lens - Silver 21460 was $519 and $596 for black. It is now $596.95 for both black and silver.

So, while 'sale' prices, they aren't (all?) as good as they were before March 1st by a noticeable amount.

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 12:36 PM ----------

Actually, thanks for bringing this up! I just found the HD DA 15mm f/4 LTD was lowered in price with the new updates:

Was $596 (Black) and $566 (Silver) and now both are $546.95.

So, keep checking those prices. Some are getting better while others are going up!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-02-2015 at 11:36 AM.
03-06-2015, 03:04 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
FWIW there is a slight difference on sealing with DA*, which used to be called 'AW', which is claimed superior to 'WR'.
This white paper explains it
So DA* wins because they are also dust proof?
03-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #25
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
So DA* wins because they are also dust proof?
DA* lenses and any lens that's marketed as AW instead of WR. This includes all 645 lenses, the 560mm, and the two new telephoto zooms.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
DA* lenses and any lens that's marketed as AW instead of WR. This includes all 645 lenses, the 560mm, and the two new telephoto zooms.
But only a handful of current lenses are marked DA* Im confused now
03-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
But only a handful of current lenses are marked DA* Im confused now
DA* and AW lenses are also sealed against dust. DA*, AW, and WR lenses are sealed against moisture. Here's a link to a list of current Pentax lenses:

All Current K-Mount Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam

03-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Prices have gone up on several lenses, but not back to list prices. For example, several of the silver lenses previously were priced lower than their black counterparts.

Another example:
  • Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 HD Macro Limited Lens - Silver 21460 was $519 and $596 for black. It is now $596.95 for both black and silver.

So, while 'sale' prices, they aren't (all?) as good as they were before March 1st by a noticeable amount.[COLOR="Silver"]

[SIZE=1]
Yup, I was about to order the silver 35, hesitated for a few days, finally decided, but saw the increased price, and I guess, I'll be waiting for another BFS.