Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Cactus RF60 & V6 Bundle $174
Posted By: Roob-N-Boots, 02-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Free Cactus V6 transceiver with the purchase of a Cactus RF 60 flash. $174.95 with free expedited 2-3 day shipping.

Cactus RF60 Wireless Flash With Wireless WRLS Flash Transceiver V6 Single DICFLACACRF60 A

Views: 4,458
02-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
I've read the reviews and was about to get one, but based on your comment if research to see if it's your cup of tea, am I missing something as to a downside of this flash? I realize it is just ttl, not P-ttl, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but is there something else negative that I should be aware of?
Like so many other photographic gizmos, the Cactus system is a tool that performs a specific job. Namely it provides remote manual power control over off-camera speedlights.

Before buying any piece of photography gear, you should understand how the tool will fill your needs. If you don't understand why you need it, then you don't truly need it. Don't misunderstand me though, I can highly recommend the Cactus system if your needs match my own. For me it is the ideal tool. How do you work? <-(rhetorical)

02-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #17
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're not sure, you can always get the NPT-04 triggers. Not nearly as robust as the Cactus triggers, but at a much much lower cost. Great for practicing imo with off camera remote flash setups. I'm playing with the Neewer branded NPT-04 triggers, an AF540fgz and a Metz 50 AF1. It works fine for basic use. Could probably even go cheaper and get the yongnuo manual flashes and the cheapy triggers too if unsure of your use of off camera flash (to play/practice) since you'll be likely using manual mode anyways.

Don't forget light modifiers into your pricing too.. diffusers, umbrellas, reflectors, gels, tripods, adjustable heads, etc etc. your setup will probably add up quickly (unless you diy a lot).
02-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Like so many other photographic gizmos, the Cactus system is a tool that performs a specific job. Namely it provides remote manual power control over off-camera speedlights.

Before buying any piece of photography gear, you should understand how the tool will fill your needs. If you don't understand why you need it, then you don't truly need it. Don't misunderstand me though, I can highly recommend the Cactus system if your needs match my own. For me it is the ideal tool. How do you work? <-(rhetorical)
Yes, this exactly! I think this is a great solution for many photographers. I have some speedlight softboxes where the flash is completely encased inside the light modifier when in use. So adjust power on the flash means you have to un-velcro the front of the unit and adjust the power, then put it back together. Have the ability to remotely change power settings would be very helpful for this!
02-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter

So, does this mean it won't work this way with the AF 360 II?

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yes, it works that way, too. The RF60 can be both a Master flash (controlling other V6 or RF60's) or a Slave unit. In fact, if your AF-360 isn't the latest "II" version, there is a setting built into the V6 to control its power remotely from the back of the RF60.

02-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, does this mean it won't work this way with the AF 360 II?
The latest firmware version for the V6 -- you can upgrade the firmware yourself with a respective USB cable -- includes a profile for the AF 360 FGZ II (and AF 540 FGZ II).

In other words, the V6 also supports (manual) remote power control with the FGZ II models and you can use an RF60 as a master to control the power levels of V6 receivers (with FGZ II models attached).

Panoguy's restriction applied to older firmware versions for the V6.
02-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Cactus RF60 Review - Competition | PentaxForums.com Reviews This page of the RF60 review also enlightened me in an overview of many subjects touched in this thread.
02-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter

So, if you own the AF 360 or 540, and want the Cactus V6, there is no compelling reason to get the Cactus flash also (unless you want an additional flash). Is that a correct assumption?

Another question. Can you set the power on a Pentax flash using the V6? My understanding is that Pentax flashes require that you set power on the flash body itself rather than being able to control it through a camera body/remote.

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The latest firmware version for the V6 -- you can upgrade the firmware yourself with a respective USB cable -- includes a profile for the AF 360 FGZ II (and AF 540 FGZ II).

In other words, the V6 also supports (manual) remote power control with the FGZ II models and you can use an RF60 as a master to control the power levels of V6 receivers (with FGZ II models attached).

Panoguy's restriction applied to older firmware versions for the V6.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 02-26-2015 at 08:33 AM.
02-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter

So, if you own the AF 360 or 540, and want the Cactus V6, there is no compelling reason to get the Cactus flash also (unless you want an additional flash). Is that a correct assumption?

Another question. Can you set the power on a Pentax flash using the V6? My understanding is that Pentax flashes require that you set power on the flash body itself rather than being able to control it through a camera body/remote.

Thanks
you would need 3 cactus v6 one for camera and one for each flash

02-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Just to make sure, I could:

1. Get one V6 (for camera) plus Cactus flash (which has receiver), or
2. Get two V6s - one for camera and one for the Pentax flash (if I use one flash).

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
you would need 3 cactus v6 one for camera and one for each flash
Does anyone know if you use the V6 with a Pentax flash you can control of flash power through the V6 remotely? Or, is that something you have to set on the flash body? I know that with the V6 and Cactus flash you can manually set the flash power with the V6 transmitter from the camera side.
02-26-2015, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Just to make sure, I could:

1. Get one V6 (for camera) plus Cactus flash (which has receiver), or
2. Get two V6s - one for camera and one for the Pentax flash (if I use one flash).

Does anyone know if you use the V6 with a Pentax flash you can control of flash power through the V6 remotely? Or, is that something you have to set on the flash body? I know that with the V6 and Cactus flash you can manually set the flash power with the V6 transmitter from the camera side.
Your two points above are correct. And yes you could control the Pentax flash power remotely from the V6. That's what makes the V6 so much cooler than the V5. :-)
02-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

So, if you own the AF 360 or 540, and want the Cactus V6, there is no compelling reason to get the Cactus flash also (unless you want an additional flash).
Correct, unless you always wanted to control the zoom setting remotely as well. The RF60's zoom setting can be controlled with the V6.

Another advantage of using an RF60 is that you don't have to deal with an extra add-on receiver with its batteries. An RF60 is a bit less bulky and easier to set up than a regular flash plus V6 receiver attached. On the flip side, the built-in receiver uses some of the capacity of the four AA batteries in the RF60, so if size/handling is not an issue, the combined power of six AAs in a regular flash + V6 may provide longer battery life.

The RF60 may also be faster regarding recycle times. It takes about 3.3s to recycle after a full power shot when using Sanyo Eneloop NiMh rechargeables. I'm not sure what the real world times for the 540 FGZ (II) are with the same type of battery (<- matters quite a bit).

Can you set the power on a Pentax flash using the V6?
Yes, as devorama already confirmed, you can.

The V6 will even allow you to explore power levels that the 360/540 normally don't support. It is quite a cool system.

Last edited by Class A; 02-26-2015 at 06:10 PM.
02-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
I've seen the price only at $195 not $174. When was this $174?
02-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

the price has gone up recently
03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
I've seen the price only at $195 not $174. When was this $174?
It was at $174 when initially posted. I hesitated too and noticed it at $195 now.

The Cactus V6 system is vedry nice - I believe it can "learn" the Yongyou profiles, though, so a Yongyou and V6 unit will be cheaper.
03-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinG Quote
The Cactus V6 system is very nice - I believe it can "learn" the Yongyou profiles, though, so a Yongyou and V6 unit will be cheaper.
I don't think there is any Yongnuo flash that supports analogue TTL which would be required for the V6 to be able to profile the flash.

That only leaves the Yongnuo YN568EX (II) for Canon to be supported for power control and you need a V6 receiver for it.

Unless one already has the YN568EX (II), I don't think the Cactus/Yongnuo combination is very attractive.