Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K-3 new for $659.99
Posted By: ragde, 03-04-2015, 10:13 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Also from quickdone in ebay

Pentax K 3 23 4 MP Digital SLR Camera Black Body Only | eBay

Views: 3,037
03-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, another round of promotional price... good for those who haven't got it yet..

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-04-2015 at 11:01 AM.
03-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

And every time the price is a bit lower. I'm waiting for the $500 mark.
03-04-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Great price. Has the seller confirmed that the camera is being sold with the full 2-year Canada warranty?

Steve

03-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Great price. Has the seller confirmed that the camera is being sold with the full 2-year Canada warranty?

Steve

Based on the item the description it comes with Limited 1-Year Warranty.

Istvan
03-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
I believe in one of the other threads someone had talked to Ricoh and they stated there was no longer such a thing as an international warranty. You got the same warranty no matter where you bought it. I'm on my mobile right now so I can't search for it, but I'll check when I am back in front of my PC.

---------- Post added 03-04-15 at 04:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
I just emailed them with a copy of the invoice attached and asked if they would accept it. They replied........ "PENTAX International warranty was discontinued and RICOH does not issue "international warranty" coverage. Should your product require warranty service within the US or Canada, warranty will apply - (provided no physical damage to the product). However, outside of the US and Canada, a repair charge would apply for service - regardless of the age of the product."
Found it. It is also my understanding that you can purchase the extended warranty through Adorama or B & H and it would cover you out to 3 years.
03-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kylv Quote
Found it. It is also my understanding that you can purchase the extended warranty through Adorama or B & H and it would cover you out to 3 years.
Could someone please confirm this, as it currently stands? In reading certain threads from a while back, this was given as the official word: that one could purchase the extended warranty even though it wasn't originally purchased at that place or time (within 30-60 days). Then a little after that, I started seeing threads that this was no longer the case and it had to be purchased from those retailers. What makes it extra confusing is that the threads don't directly say this, but imply it. Can we get a clear and current answer regarding the extended warranty please? It'd help a lot. Especially if it answers the question in the context of this particular deal being posted. Thanks!

03-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

The same seller had these for $599.99 a couple of months ago but sold out. I don't know about them reaching $500, but that price is likely to return for those that can be patient.
03-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bill_k Quote
The same seller had these for $599.99 a couple of months ago but sold out. I don't know about them reaching $500, but that price is likely to return for those that can be patient.
Black friday.. by then the FF body should be out and this one in it's shadow.. expecting around 500 dollar pricing then.
03-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax/Ricoh have said that the extended warranty can only be applied to US purchase.

---------- Post added 03-04-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
Could someone please confirm this, as it currently stands? In reading certain threads from a while back, this was given as the official word: that one could purchase the extended warranty even though it wasn't originally purchased at that place or time (within 30-60 days). Then a little after that, I started seeing threads that this was no longer the case and it had to be purchased from those retailers. What makes it extra confusing is that the threads don't directly say this, but imply it. Can we get a clear and current answer regarding the extended warranty please? It'd help a lot. Especially if it answers the question in the context of this particular deal being posted. Thanks!
The camera I purchased from Quickndone in Canada is covered for one year in US. When I asked Pentax if coverage was there I also presented them with receipt and exif showing born on date and shutter count to assure them camera was new. I asked about extended plan. That only works for US dealer purchases and warranty can be bought separately within short time. Original receipt and extended warranty card must be presented when service is required.
My camera does not qualify for the extended warranty.
Hope this helps clear things up
03-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

So basically no warranty for us in Europe ,which maybe means UK cameras via/HK also are SOL...
03-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Has the seller confirmed that the camera is being sold with the full 2-year Canada warranty?
What I've find-out, the 2-year Canadian warranty is not transferable .
How transferable/non-transferable warranties work, in practice?

Is Ricoh/Pentax America extended warranty bought in Adorama/B&H ($19.95) for US purchase transferable?

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
So basically no warranty for us in Europe, which maybe means UK cameras via/HK also are SOL...
Well, you may ship your camera from Europe to US, pls keep a proof of shipment to avoid taxes when camera is back. Actually I'm considering this with my K-3 (Focus Camera out of Amazon). As I am not very sure about camera fault (faulty focussing?) it would be a hell easier to deal locally.
AFAIK my local Pentax authorized service offers free quotation, so I may go this way (ask them if camera body is faulty and how much would be to repair), as they are in my town.

Last edited by Prakticant; 03-05-2015 at 12:39 AM.
03-05-2015, 02:12 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Pentax/Ricoh have said that the extended warranty can only be applied to US purchase.

---------- Post added 03-04-15 at 09:03 PM ----------

The camera I purchased from Quickndone in Canada is covered for one year in US. When I asked Pentax if coverage was there I also presented them with receipt and exif showing born on date and shutter count to assure them camera was new. I asked about extended plan. That only works for US dealer purchases and warranty can be bought separately within short time. Original receipt and extended warranty card must be presented when service is required.
My camera does not qualify for the extended warranty.
Hope this helps clear things up
Yup, crystal clear and straight forward. Thank you very much!
03-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traxino Quote
Based on the item the description it comes with Limited 1-Year Warranty.

Istvan
Item description also includes two lenses...copied from marketing materials...

Steve
03-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My understanding is that warranty depends on point of sale, whether the seller is an authorized dealer, and who the dealer gets stock from (Pentax Canada vs. gray market). Yes, even authorized dealers will sometimes sell out-of-channel "white box" product.

Edit: All of the struck out text is non-pertinent
For example, I bought my FA 77/1.8 Limited several years ago on eBay from ProDigital2000 for $515 USD (yeah...great deal :) ), an online storefront for an Ontario camera store who is an authorized dealer with Pentax Canada. When I took delivery this is what I found:
  • Lens box with sticker indicating Pentax Canada as distributor and another sticker indicating a two year warranty in both English and French
  • Inside was the Pentax Canada warranty card (also English/French) for the 2-year Canada warranty
  • The warranty card states that the first year warranty is granted by Pentax and its authorized distributors and service centers worldwide and that a second year is granted by Pentax Canada. Both warranties are limited to the original purchaser. In BOLD print at the bottom of the card it states, "THIS 2-YEAR WARRANTY IS VALID IN CANADA ONLY".
I live in the U.S. and was a little concerned about what this might mean should I have a problem with the lens, particularly since all I had were the eBay and PayPal transaction records. I contacted the seller directly and they responded by e-mail as follows:
  • The first year warranty will be honored by Pentax distributors and service centers worldwide (like it said on the card)
  • The additional year warranty will be honored in Canada only meaning that any repairs must be done by a Pentax Canada authorized repair facility. I would have to ship the lens to Canada.
  • In addition, they sent me a hard-copy receipt from the brick-and-mortar store in Ontario as proof of purchase
Granted, things have changed since then and most of the above can probably be ignored. For example, Pentax Canada service is now contracted to Sun Camera Service and Pentax is no longer owned by Hoya. That being said, I suspect that the basic provisions still hold, assuming that the product is not being sold as gray (grey) market.

My K-3 (purchased about a year ago from Adorama) did not have a separate warranty card. The one-year warranty information was included in the English user manual (p 104, available for download from Ricoh). Also included was a list of authorized service facilities worldwide.

The general rules as I have been able to determine from the user manual along with the Pentax Canada and Pentax USA Web sites are:
  • Ricoh Imaging (Japan) will provide warranty service for cameras worldwide, though it may take a long time and there may be complications related to customs
  • Local distributor's warranty policies may override the provisions of the general warranty such that they may not honor warranties for out-of-country purchases
  • Pentax Canada will only provide warranty service within Canada, but will honor the one-year general warranty regardless of where the camera was purchased
  • Pentax USA will only provide warranty service within the United States. It is unclear as to whether Pentax USA will provide service for cameras purchased outside the USA.
  • 2-year warranty extension is available for US purchases only
  • Although new Pentax products no longer ship with an international warranty card, such warranty still exists. Pentax USA will provide an international warranty card on request for cameras purchased within the USA.
Even so...as a point of practice, it is always good to determine whether an online merchant or eBay seller is an authorized dealer and that the item has warranty papers appropriate to that country's distributor.

Steve

P.S. In regards to the comment above that the worldwide warranty no longer exists, there is a recent thread on this site where the owner of a K-50 had a failed camera. The camera had been purchased in Europe, but the owner was employed on a cruise ship in the western Pacific. I don't remember the exact specifics, but the warranty was honored by Pentax service in one of the ship's ports-of-call.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-05-2015 at 11:15 AM.