Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
Pentax K-S1 White Body $347.63
Posted By: reduno, 03-06-2015, 03:09 PM

Amazon.com : Pentax K-S1 SLR Body Kit (White) : Camera & Photo
Amazon currently has the Pentax K-S1 body in white for only $347.63 US. Just picked one up to match the white K-30 I got last week. They also have the Blue Cream Soda model with lens I think (description say lens kit and body only) for $356.83.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-S1-Lens-Blue-Cream/dp/B00OVVR4O4/ref=sr_1_6?s...rds=pentax+ks1
Currently only 4 of each left.
Views: 4,114
03-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm...I notice that none of the various K-S1 kits on Amazon have any customer reviews. That surely can't be a good sign for sales!

03-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Hmmm...I notice that none of the various K-S1 kits on Amazon have any customer reviews.
Perhaps that might mean they haven't sold very many...?
03-14-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Perhaps that might mean they haven't sold very many...?
That's what I'm thinking.
03-14-2015, 08:57 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm...I notice that none of the various K-S1 kits on Amazon have any customer reviews. That surely can't be a good sign for sales!
The K-S1 is relatively new, with only two reviews (5-star) on the B&H site and none on the Adorama site.

03-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
The K-S1 is relatively new, with only two reviews (5-star) on the B&H site and none on the Adorama site.
It's not that new is it? Hasn't it been available for a few months?
03-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not that new is it? Hasn't it been available for a few months?
Since August 2014. Based on the number of search hits my comparison pictures get daily on flickr, there appears to be some interest, but with only a half-dozen active PF members with K-S1s, I'd say it is a flop, at least outside of Japan (in the PF/CP+ interview, they admitted that it didn't achieve its goals). Given the extremely vocal hostility at its launch (including here on PF), anyone in the target market looking for reviews of the KS-1 in English would quickly find that it is terrible, terrible camera. Why would anyone buy that? (even though it's actually a pretty capable little DSLR.) Maybe closeout prices this Christmas will breath some new life into it.
03-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

The K-S1 needed to be released with weather resistance, the new 18-50 kit lens, and/or a lower price. That would have changed everything.
03-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would have changed everything.
Yes, it would have been the K-S2. The "Product Story" for the K-S1 makes it pretty clear that WR was sacrificed for size. So a K-S1 with WR would have to be a larger body.

03-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-S1 ($306.46) just arrived yesterday, ordered on the Mar 16 and shipped through forwarder. Shutter count started at 22.

03-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
My K-S1 ($306.46) just arrived yesterday, ordered on the Mar 16 and shipped through forwarder. Shutter count started at 22.
I'm guessing that is the one from the Amazom warehouse. With a shutter count of 22 I suspect it was a customer return. Looks just like the one I have now (except I don't have the strap installed). Still getting used to the grip but cupping the camera in my right hand seems to work. Probably won't be the camera of choice for a long photo session but I really only intended it for travel. Enjoy!
03-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
I'm guessing that is the one from the Amazom warehouse. With a shutter count of 22 I suspect it was a customer return. Looks just like the one I have now (except I don't have the strap installed). Still getting used to the grip but cupping the camera in my right hand seems to work. Probably won't be the camera of choice for a long photo session but I really only intended it for travel. Enjoy!
Hi Reduno,

It's such a small camera that for me, I hold it with the *left* hand from underneath, especially when focusing large lenses.

The right hand is loose and relaxed, with the ring and pinky fingers curled underneath the body.
03-20-2015, 05:13 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's such a small camera that for me, I hold it with the *left* hand from underneath, especially when focusing large lenses.

The right hand is loose and relaxed, with the ring and pinky fingers curled underneath the body.
This is how I held all my old film cameras, and pretty much how I hold all cameras for that matter since it takes a lot of strain off your right wrist. I don't know where and when this "have to shoot one handed" stuff came around. Probably with the introduction of the Canon T90 grip which all Canikons still seem to be designed after. I might actually pick up a K-S1 once the prices plummet again. The more people that hate it/ can't figure out how to hold it the better for me!
03-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is how I held all my old film cameras, and pretty much how I hold all cameras for that matter since it takes a lot of strain off your right wrist. I don't know where and when this "have to shoot one handed" stuff came around.
Exactly! :-D

I'm a bit baffled by people whose technique has come about with small lenses and big handgrips.

Can't shoot a small mirrorless with a big lens that way.
03-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Wow I like that blue cream soda model! Much better than the metallic blue model.
The Soda deals generally include the FluCard too. I see now $459 with 18-55 and FluCard in lemon..
04-19-2015, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just wanted to include a photo of the white K-S1 with silver HD DA 40 2.8 Limited attached. Picked up the lens used in like new condition from the Amazon Warehouse for $207.61. In my opinion, the silver Limited matches the silver trim on the KS-1 very nicely and makes for a very compact travel setup.
Attached Images