Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
eBay auction deal on macro gear
Posted By: cooltouch, 03-29-2015, 02:25 PM

I ran across this auction on eBay just a short while ago. Current bid amount is $94. It has 1 day and 18 hours left as of the time of this posting:

Pentax ZX 50 Medical Production Camera w Dine Auto Macro Ring Flash Lester | eBay

The eBay ID is 381203984343

This eBay listing is for a Lester Dine dental photography kit. It includes a Pentax ZX50 film camera, which is okay, I guess, but also in this kit is the Dine 105mm f/2.8 macro lens and Dine ringflash. This lens is actually the famed Kiron manual focus 105mm f/2.8 1:1 macro and the flash is made by Yuzo, a semi-obscure maker of flashes, but it is a quality product, plus it has a TTL module for Pentax. So it's TTL for film Pentaxes and I don't know if it will provide TTL with digital, but it is what it is.

Those of you who are familiar with the Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro know what kind of a possible great deal this may be. I would bid on this outfit myself but I don't have the available funds right now. The Dine version has labels on the lens barrel giving instructions on exposure for different parts of the mouth.

A few years ago, I found this lens in Nikon mount and the flash with a Nikon TTL module at a local camera shop, paid $200 for the pair, and I was stoked. The Kiron 105/2.8 macro is every bit as good as people say it is.

Good luck!

Last edited by cooltouch; 03-30-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Views: 1,025
03-29-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I have a Yuzo macro flash and while it doesn't provide TTL with digital cameras, it does provide auto-exposure like an older thyristor flash. It also features a point light source for more directional lighting.
03-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Yuzo flash also has a 1/16th power setting which is more useful than the auto flash. The TTL module will not work with P-TTL cameras except some of the *ist models. It will set the shutter speed to 1/180th in Av mode.

You can either peel off the metal label on the back of the Lester Dine flash or carefully cut away part of the label to the left of the auto-TTL switch. There are actually 3 positions - 1/16 - Auto - TTL in that order. There are indicator lights, scales and an ASA/ISO selector on the back that are covered by the metal label.

In 1/16th power I did an exposure series with a gray card using the histogram function to determine the distance and magnification for each f-stop.