Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Greentow and a Sigma 18-35/1.8 for $710 (new w/ warranty)
Posted By: interested_observer, 04-24-2015, 01:07 PM

But - there is a story....

Since late last year, I have run across various web ads for this Greentoe - a web based online "buying service". As I understand it, mainly for photography and other electronic products, you put in a bid (and a time frame), and then the retail stores decide if they want to fill your order (for that price - all included, product and shipping). Supposedly, the retail stores that they use are authorized retailers - supplying new - not used, refurbished or grey market items. So much for marketing.

Of late, I have been thinking about - yet another semi wide angle lens, a Sigma 18-35/f1.8 mainly for night, astro, landscape images. I needed something wider than the 31Ltd, and faster than my Contax 28/2.8, and my 12-24 @ f4 is not fast enough for what I want to do. So, I have been saving my lunch money (and I am down 12 pounds - yea!!!!!). Earlier this week, I decided to go ahead, and possibly give this Greentoe a try.

$799 was the standard pricing - everywhere, B&H, Adorama, Amazon, BuyDig, Beach Camera, etc. - all the usual suspects, with the exception of 42nd Street Camera @ $729. I decided, I really did not want to deal with them, so I tried Greentoe.

I created an account and selected the lens (Pentax mount), and decided to try $650 with a 2 day time frame. Nothing. After a day, I bumped it to $700. I was then reading about the service, where they claimed that an average price was a 12% discount. I then raised the bid to $705 - last night (which is just a few cents above the 12% discount price). This morning I checked - crickets! So, I decided to bump it one last time to $710 and that was it for this "failed experiment".

A couple of minutes ago, I checked back - since the time frame had expired - and I was much surprised to see that the bid was accepted, order being processed, and the lens was pending shipping by A****a (one of the usual suspects from the above list). I am guessing that I am not getting their additional 4% back , but that is an $89 discount, or 11.1% - so far, I am pretty pleased (I'll trade a 4% discount for an 11% discount, any day of the week). It should be new, with a full Sigma warranty. So far, so good. We will see what arrives by Pony Express next week....

Just an update - It was shipped it via UPS Ground (7 day delivery) with a Scheduled Delivery of Thursday, 04/30/2015, By End of Day
I did get an email from Greentoe indicating that the bid was accepted for the price by the named retailer. Also, they asked that the retailer not be named - OK, fair enough - given that everything works out. I received an email from the retailer (with whom I have done lots of business with in the past), and it was just like I ordered it was ordered directly - with a tracking number for UPS Ground. Clicking on the tracking number brought up the UPS site and confirmed that its currently sitting in their distribution warehouse, being sorted for shipment. The only thing that was not offered was any shipping options or any additional warranties. I can live with that.

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-24-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Views: 701