Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
eBay: FA 100 macro for $194
Posted By: yusuf, 05-11-2015, 02:24 AM

Slight fungus but seems like a very good price to me.

Excellent Minus Pentax SMC Pentax FA 100mm F2 8 Macro from Japan | eBay
Views: 1,055
05-11-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm very dubious. It looks completely fungal and the pics don't use anything but the center of the lens.

QuoteQuote:
Fungus - The fungi are generally thin, but on the front element, rear element and internal elements.
I can see the fungi under room light.
As I took a lot of photos, I almost didn't see the effect.
However please note that the possibility they might affect the image quality especially under tough circumstances like strong backlight or even under normal circumstances could not be entirely excluded.
Test photos attached (just the above last 3 photos), tested with this
lens through a mount adapter on a mirrorless
micro
4/3
camera.
05-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ugh, those sample pics do not inspire. I would stay away from that lens.
05-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Gotta love the "generous" condition ratings given by a lot of the Japanese resellers on eBay. "Excellent Minus" for a lens that on most US-based used equipment sites would be "Ugly" or "Parts/Repair."

05-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Gotta love the "generous" condition ratings given by a lot of the Japanese resellers on eBay. "Excellent Minus" for a lens that on most US-based used equipment sites would be "Ugly" or "Parts/Repair."
Is that a general trend in Japanese sellers? Wondering because I plan to order some other Olympus enses from Japanese seller. In past I bought one lens from Japan and turned out to be as described but that could be an exception.
05-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I find that they do tend to scrupulously reveal defects, but then still give it an overly generous grade. So something like: "Excellent condition: just a few dings in the barrel, some scratches on the front element, and light fungus."

What's probably at work here: under the eBay return policy, the seller is on the hook for return postage if there is an undescribed problem (as opposed to regular "no-hassle" returns where the buyer pays). I think many of these sellers are trying to play both sides here, trying to encourage buyers while protecting themselves from additional charges if the buyer is unsatisfied.

Moral of the story: read through the entire ad carefully before purchasing.

Of course, I do on the other hand feel that many buyers do tend to go overboard on demanding perfection in their lenses. I've sold l lots of stuff on ebay, and I've had several occasions where I've had buyers getzzncredibly indignant that I've had the temerity to describe a beautiful lens as "excellent" when there are DUST PARTICLES! in it. Never mind that the lens is 50 years old, has an open design, and wasn't built in a clean room to begin with. I've actually had to add a disclaimer to my listing explaining why all vintage lenses have some amount of dust in them

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Is that a general trend in Japanese sellers? Wondering because I plan to order some other Olympus enses from Japanese seller. In past I bought one lens from Japan and turned out to be as described but that could be an exception.
05-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I find that they do tend to scrupulously reveal defects, but then still give it an overly generous grade. So something like: "Excellent condition: just a few dings in the barrel, some scratches on the front element, and light fungus."

What's probably at work here: under the eBay return policy, the seller is on the hook for return postage if there is an undescribed problem (as opposed to regular "no-hassle" returns where the buyer pays). I think many of these sellers are trying to play both sides here, trying to encourage buyers while protecting themselves from additional charges if the buyer is unsatisfied.

Moral of the story: read through the entire ad carefully before purchasing.

Of course, I do on the other hand feel that many buyers do tend to go overboard on demanding perfection in their lenses. I've sold l lots of stuff on ebay, and I've had several occasions where I've had buyers getzzncredibly indignant that I've had the temerity to describe a beautiful lens as "excellent" when there are DUST PARTICLES! in it. Never mind that the lens is 50 years old, has an open design, and wasn't built in a clean room to begin with. I've actually had to add a disclaimer to my listing explaining why all vintage lenses have some amount of dust in them
Thanks, in fact I noticed this "Excellent with exceptions" items from Japan but didn't hit my mind that some of them might be doing it purposely.