Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sold-Ebay: Super-Takumar 8 elements $85 shipped
Posted By: Stavri, 05-12-2015, 08:17 AM

You're looking at the highly sought after early version 8-elment super takumar In good condition, someone should get it before I buy it myself as a second copy...

Pentax 50mm F1 4 Super Takumar M42 Screw Mount Lens Nice EX | eBay

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 08:29 AM ----------

...and it's gone..

Last edited by Stavri; 05-12-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Views: 754
05-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well that did not last long........................
05-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Someone owes me a drink
05-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #4
Lens Buying Addict

Did you buy it?

I had it up but I goofed around for 15 minutes and when I ame back to bid it was gone.

05-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I already have one, was really tempted though...
05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
Someone owes me a drink
I think you should be PM'ing me these deals *before* you make them public here, then you'll get your drink!
05-12-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope it was a PF user and not some CanoNikon gassbag..
05-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Well that did not last long........................
Hello Stavri,
Thanks for your Posting, I bought it.
I have SMC 7 Element and I like to see what is the different in this One 8 Element !!
Thank you,
steve

05-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewong Quote
Hello Stavri,
Thanks for your Posting, I bought it.
I have SMC 7 Element and I like to see what is the different in this One 8 Element !!
Thank you,
steve
When you do, make sure your seat is in the upright position and you seat belt clicked in place (it'll rock your socks off)
Glad to be of help, regards
05-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When you do, make sure your seat is in the upright position and you seat belt clicked in place (it'll rock your socks off) Glad to be of help, regards
Wow what a price ! Congrats !! - As long as the lens is clean and crisp it will amaze you, very sharp from wide open especially in lower light. Easy focusing and really distinctive smooth rendering . You will love it
05-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

When you do, make sure your seat is in the upright position and you seat belt clicked in place (it'll rock your socks off)
Glad to be of help, regards
Thanks Stavri,
my eyes are getting weak to use with Manual len for Right Focus !!.8 Elements glass is not Yellow as SMC 7 Element.That may help for focus !!
Thanks,
steve

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Wow what a price ! Congrats !! - As long as the lens is clean and crisp it will amaze you, very sharp from wide open especially in lower light. Easy focusing and really distinctive smooth rendering . You will love it
Thanks manntax,
This 8 Element price is lower than the SMC 7 Element that I bought last year.The SMC 7 Element has more Blades.
Thanks,
steve
05-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #12
Marketplace Reseller

I'm one of the few who takes the position that the 8 element isn't any better than the 7 element, and that its "superior" reputation is almost entirely based on hype due to its rarity. The urban legend that it was sold at a loss as a "Planar killer" helps to drive up prices as well, but I've heard from old-time Pentax employees that this story simply isn't true, and the cost of the additional element was negligible (the special Thorium glass used in the 7 element actually being more expensive) at the time.

The rendering is a little different, which some might prefer, but it isn't any sharper in the center than the 7 element and is actually less so on the corners I prefer the bokeh on the 7 element as well. I've tried somewhere between 10-15 samples of the 8 element and literally hundreds of the various 7 element versions, and a properly de-yellowed SMC Takumar 7 element is the best of the bunch. No surprise there, considering it was the latest, had the most advanced coatings, etc.

Definitely nice to have as a collectible, though, and i fyou do ever decide to sell it, I'm sure you can make a tidy little profit off of it.
05-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
(perhaps i drank the coolaid but..) I love my 8-element super-takumar, to me its worth every penny. I bought mine for FA 50 f1.4 money in mint condition attached to a spotmatic in its original styrofoam enclosure. I personally think is right up there with the Ultron 50/f1.8 (and Color Ultron) in terms of sharpness, aberration and CA control, but I do regret seeing how much confused and misinformed sellers have inflated the prices of other versions (it's hard getting bargain 50 f1.4 Super-taks nowadays on the web)

Wide open:

Last edited by Stavri; 05-12-2015 at 12:59 PM.
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

I am similar to many film guys here. Somehow through gifts and gifts alone I have collected 9 Super-Takumar, S-M-C and SMC 50/1.4's and 55/1.8's. I also own through purchase an SMC 'K' 50/1.4', two 55/1.8's, an M50/1.7 and an FA50/1.4. I recently sold an A50/1.4 as superfluous. Those are just off the top of my head.

Though I looked at the lens, my only real interest aside from unabashed lens lust was to use with my SV as its native lens - then again my SV has the orange R, so what's a native 50/1.4 for that camera?

In any event I'm happy a PF member got the lens.
05-12-2015, 11:10 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I'm one of the few who takes the position that the 8 element isn't any better than the 7 element, and that its "superior" reputation is almost entirely based on hype due to its rarity. The urban legend that it was sold at a loss as a "Planar killer" helps to drive up prices as well, but I've heard from old-time Pentax employees that this story simply isn't true, and the cost of the additional element was negligible (the special Thorium glass used in the 7 element actually being more expensive) at the time.

The rendering is a little different, which some might prefer, but it isn't any sharper in the center than the 7 element and is actually less so on the corners I prefer the bokeh on the 7 element as well. I've tried somewhere between 10-15 samples of the 8 element and literally hundreds of the various 7 element versions, and a properly de-yellowed SMC Takumar 7 element is the best of the bunch. No surprise there, considering it was the latest, had the most advanced coatings, etc.

Definitely nice to have as a collectible, though, and i fyou do ever decide to sell it, I'm sure you can make a tidy little profit off of it.
Thanks dcshooter,
For your input about 7 Elements & 8 Elements are Not much different !.
I have not have much times to send My Takuma and Russian lens in for your service. My right foot ankle boke, I could Not drive a car for now.I will do when I am getting better !!
Thank you,
steve

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am similar to many film guys here. Somehow through gifts and gifts alone I have collected 9 Super-Takumar, S-M-C and SMC 50/1.4's and 55/1.8's. I also own through purchase an SMC 'K' 50/1.4', two 55/1.8's, an M50/1.7 and an FA50/1.4. I recently sold an A50/1.4 as superfluous. Those are just off the top of my head.

Though I looked at the lens, my only real interest aside from unabashed lens lust was to use with my SV as its native lens - then again my SV has the orange R, so what's a native 50/1.4 for that camera?

In any event I'm happy a PF member got the lens.
Thanks for your though about Takuma lens !!
steve

---------- Post added 05-12-15 at 11:24 AM ----------

I love my 8-element super-takumar, to me its worth every penny. I bought mine for FA 50 f1.4 money in mint condition attached to a spotmatic in its original styrofoam enclosure. I personally think is right up there with the Ultron 50/f1.8 (and Color Ultron) in terms of sharpness, aberration and CA control, but I do regret seeing how much confused and misinformed sellers have inflated the prices of other versions (it's hard getting bargain 50 f1.4 Super-taks nowadays on the web)

Wide open:
Thanks Stavri,
It looks very sharp at 1.4, it is very nice image of your cat !!
steve

Last edited by stevewong; 05-12-2015 at 04:48 PM.