Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
K-50 for $307.99
Posted By: Adam, 05-14-2015, 02:43 PM

The Pentax K-50 just keeps on dropping, but I fear that it will soon go out of stock for good:

Pentax K-50 Body:
@ B&H - $307.99 + free SD card

@ Amazon - $321.21

Views: 2,280
05-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photoliv41 Quote
Update, I took my K-30 to the repair shop. After testing out all the settings, checking the aperture response to various settings and different lenses, it was determined that the camera is not communicating with the lens properly so that the aperture is closing almost completely each time, despite settings. It would cost in excess of $250 for repairs and a new camera would cost approx $325 or more for just the camera body (currently owned lens works properly).

He suggested that I research Maine's 4 year Implied Warranty law since I bought my camera 2 years ago. I researched & read it completely. It appears that Maine does indeed have an Implied Warranty of Merchantability Law which applies to any item purchased within 4 years after purchase. The implied warranty supersedes any manufacturer express warranty, or purchased extended warranty. If within 4 years of the purchase date, the purchased item no longer performs the functions it is designed to perform, due to malfunction, not abuse or wear & tear, then both the seller & manufacturer are liable for repair, or replacement at no cost to the buyer (including NO deductible). Neither the seller, nor the manufacturer can disclaim their responsibility.

I do have to submit a statement from the repair shop as to the nature & extent of the repairs necessary, as well as the cost. I also have to send a formal letter of complaint to both the seller & manufacturer notifying them of the defective camera and of their equal responsibility to repair or replace the defective camera.

At least this gives me hope. If either or both of them refuse to honor this law, I can take legal action, but I'm doubtful it will go that far as few companies want law suits.
Interesting- good luck! I just hope they don't dismiss it as wear-and-tear of the actuator.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-18-2015, 01:55 AM   #17

The camera no longer takes pictures as it is designed & intended to do after only 2 years of light use. I sincerely doubt they can dismiss it as wear & tear on anything. If they do, they could be looking at legal action against them, so guess we'll see. Thank you for the wishes of good luck. Hopefully they will be reasonable & I won't need it.
05-18-2015, 04:09 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The camera no longer takes pictures as it is designed & intended to do after only 2 years of light use. I sincerely doubt they can dismiss it as wear & tear on anything. If they do, they could be looking at legal action against them, so guess we'll see. Thank you for the wishes of good luck. Hopefully they will be reasonable & I won't need it.
I researched the law and it looks like as long as you purchased the camera in Maine, you should be covered. Not sure if they'll go with the 4 year rule, or 1 year since that's the warranty offered in the US. Please let us know what happens!

BTW, there's also the 2-year warranty extension available from retailers for $19.95 which gives you extra peace of mind regardless (3 years total in the US).

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with the camera. My K-50 is doing well. However, if it were to crap out tomorrow, I'd probably get another one (since they're so cheap right now) or perhaps look into a K-5II or even K-3 if the price was right. But I don't blame you for trying to get the defect remedied-- you are entitled to get what you paid for!

05-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
I'm pretty certain I would buy it if the 18-135 lens went on sale with it.
In the meantime, KEH is showing a white or red body with 18-135 for $499 and a black body with 18-135 for $529. All rated like new.
05-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ragde Quote
You can find "k-50 + 18-135" in amazon from "Focus camera" (is it gray market?) for $613 ... so the 18-135 for about $300 ... I doubt you can get much lower than that.
Amazon price for the black K50 with 18-135 is down to $600.01 at this moment. Focus Camera (NY) is also listed on the Ricoh Imaging website as an authorized dealer.
05-20-2015, 05:29 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Another price reduction it seems- down to $307 now!

Adam

05-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H is out of stock of the black model at the new price. Their web site indicates more arriving in 7-14 days. Adorama has stock at the same price and is including a SD card and AF-200FG flash as well.