Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
K-50 for $307.99
Posted By: Adam, 05-14-2015, 02:43 PM

The Pentax K-50 just keeps on dropping, but I fear that it will soon go out of stock for good:

Pentax K-50 Body:
@ B&H - $307.99 + free SD card

@ Amazon - $321.21

Views: 3,091
05-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

I'm pretty certain I would buy it if the 18-135 lens went on sale with it.
05-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I notice that these sales are for black only. Does this mean an over supply of black bodies?
On the other hand, I've been carefully watching eBay, and most of used-like-new ones for sale there are white.
05-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

amazing price on an awesome camera. I love my K-50!

05-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
You can find "k-50 + 18-135" in amazon from "Focus camera" (is it gray market?) for $613 ... so the 18-135 for about $300 ... I doubt you can get much lower than that.
05-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
amazing price on an awesome camera. I love my K-50!
May I ask how long you've had your K-50? A little apprehensive about buying another, since my K-30 seems to be a lemon, or at the very least seems to be experiencing an issue apparently common to many other users. After about a year of wonderful results, it no longer takes anything but extremely dark images (unless I manually increase exposure to max). I paid out about $600, so that makes me a bit apprehensive, since it appears to be a known issue which I never saw mentioned in any of the multiple reviews I read prior to purchasing it
05-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
Here you go:
Amazon.com : Pentax K-50 16MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with DA 18-135mm WR f3.5-5.6 Lens (Black) : Camera & Photo

I don't think this one is grey market since the price is close to what the lens costs in new kits.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photoliv41 Quote
May I ask how long you've had your K-50? A little apprehensive about buying another, since my K-30 seems to be a lemon, or at the very least seems to be experiencing an issue apparently common to many other users. After about a year of wonderful results, it no longer takes anything but extremely dark images (unless I manually increase exposure to max). I paid out about $600, so that makes me a bit apprehensive, since it appears to be a known issue which I never saw mentioned in any of the multiple reviews I read prior to purchasing it
I think this might be a singular issue in your case; at least I haven't heard any reports of it being a widespread defect. My K-50 has been chugging along nicely since it came out in 2013

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my K-30 for quite some time (years) and not having any exposure issues with it. I try to keep up with any defect reports for self-protection/knowledge, and I have not heard of exposure issues.

Have you checked everything regarding the lens(es) you use with it, etc?
05-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
everything
What do you mean?

Adam

05-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

I'm taking my K-30 to the repair shop to trouble shoot if it is a problem with the lens or the camera body as I don't have a 2nd lens to trouble shoot with. If the problem turns out to be with the camera body & is too expensive to repair, I am strongly considering getting a new camera. If there is no problem with the lens, then I only need a camera body & will begin to shop for one, possibly the K-5, but we'll see... limited funds
05-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you mean?
Well, "everything" ... like whther the aperture blades are sticky or slow or oily. Since they didn't say which lens was being used, "everything" might also include clean contact pins. In other words, my thought was that the lens should be checked as well as the camera and some of the checking could be done quickly at home by the poster.

As it turns out, Photoliv41 only has the one lens, so there's no way to do a quick comparison, but I didn't know that at the time of posting. And posting via phone isn't always conducive to thorough conversations online.
05-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

I'm taking my K-30 to the repair shop to trouble shoot if it is a problem with the lens or the camera body as I don't have a 2nd lens to trouble shoot with. If the problem turns out to be with the camera body & is too expensive to repair, I am strongly considering getting a new camera. If there is no problem with the lens, then I only need a camera body & will begin to shop for one, possibly the K-5, but we'll see... limited funds

You mentioned 'about a year' of taking photos... if the camera is under a year old, it should be under the manufacturer's warranty still...
05-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Well, "everything" ... like whther the aperture blades are sticky or slow or oily. Since they didn't say which lens was being used, "everything" might also include clean contact pins. In other words, my thought was that the lens should be checked as well as the camera and some of the checking could be done quickly at home by the poster.

As it turns out, Photoliv41 only has the one lens, so there's no way to do a quick comparison, but I didn't know that at the time of posting. And posting via phone isn't always conducive to thorough conversations online.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it could well be the lens.

Adam

05-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #15

Update, I took my K-30 to the repair shop. After testing out all the settings, checking the aperture response to various settings and different lenses, it was determined that the camera is not communicating with the lens properly so that the aperture is closing almost completely each time, despite settings. It would cost in excess of $250 for repairs and a new camera would cost approx $325 or more for just the camera body (currently owned lens works properly).

He suggested that I research Maine's 4 year Implied Warranty law since I bought my camera 2 years ago. I researched & read it completely. It appears that Maine does indeed have an Implied Warranty of Merchantability Law which applies to any item purchased within 4 years after purchase. The implied warranty supersedes any manufacturer express warranty, or purchased extended warranty. If within 4 years of the purchase date, the purchased item no longer performs the functions it is designed to perform, due to malfunction, not abuse or wear & tear, then both the seller & manufacturer are liable for repair, or replacement at no cost to the buyer (including NO deductible). Neither the seller, nor the manufacturer can disclaim their responsibility.

I do have to submit a statement from the repair shop as to the nature & extent of the repairs necessary, as well as the cost. I also have to send a formal letter of complaint to both the seller & manufacturer notifying them of the defective camera and of their equal responsibility to repair or replace the defective camera.

At least this gives me hope. If either or both of them refuse to honor this law, I can take legal action, but I'm doubtful it will go that far as few companies want law suits.