Posted By: Adam, 05-26-2015, 03:05 PM

Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod, Black
$14.95 (Reg $24.95)
Manfrotto MMC3-01 Monopod, Black MMC3-01M

Views: 1,261
05-27-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a great price. Can't go wrong.

I've had the same model for many years and can endorse it Used with a K-5/K-3 with 70-200 f2.8 on top mostly.

The compact size is very handy - it means it fits inside backpacks, on top of shoulder bags, and even inside jackets.
05-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

excellent price on this monopod-- I paid the full $25 a few years back and still think I got a good value. Also bought a monopod quick release head to go with it.
05-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for you folks who have this monopod - is the bottom just a rubber foot or does it also have a spike? I looked at the specs and it doesn't say.

I've never tried a monopod and think it may help me with my walks. I have to use a cane or walking stick now and would like a monopod to use as walking stick.

And I know this isn't the proper place to ask - but I am trying to figure out how one uses a monopod. The specs say that fully extended it is 57" long - that is ~10" below my eye level. When you add a head plus camera do you have enough height to shoot without stooping? And I guess some sort of head is mandatory?

05-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
is the bottom just a rubber foot or does it also have a spike?
It's just a little rubber foot. It works OK, but it's not great in mud, as I have often found. But if it's muddy, I can rest the foot of the small monopod on the front of my boot.

I have a 2nd tall monopod with a larger spiked foot and a tilt head for when I need something taller, stronger and that works better in soft dirt. But 90% of the time I go out in the field I use the small monopod.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I am trying to figure out how one uses a monopod
You can use them as walking sticks as you suggested. Alternately, there are also walking sticks and shooting sticks available that work as monopods. This little Manfrotto probably isn't ideal as a walking stick, however, as the lower part of it is a little bit 'light duty' and unsuitable for taking too much weight.

The height of this Manfrotto isn't ideal, as fully extended it does not reach my eye level, so I have to crouch if I want to work high. But sometimes I can find something to put under the monopod in the field - some timber, a camera bag etc - to boost the height if I need it. But if you are shooting low, crouched or sitting down, the limited max height is not an issue.

I don't use a head on the Manfrotto. I just lean the monopod up and down itself as needed. It's usable enough if you only need a limited range of motion up/down, like for sports. But on my larger monopod I do have a small tilt head, which is handy if i need to shoot something high, for example, like birds, for extended periods.
05-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's just a little rubber foot. It works OK, but it's not great in mud, as I have often found. But if it's muddy, I can rest the foot of the small monopod on the front of my boot.

I have a 2nd tall monopod with a larger spiked foot and a tilt head for when I need something taller, stronger and that works better in soft dirt. But 90% of the time I go out in the field I use the small monopod.

You can use them as walking sticks as you suggested. Alternately, there are also walking sticks and shooting sticks available that work as monopods. This little Manfrotto probably isn't ideal as a walking stick, however, as the lower part of it is a little bit 'light duty' and unsuitable for taking too much weight.

The height of this Manfrotto isn't ideal, as fully extended it does not reach my eye level, so I have to crouch if I want to work high. But sometimes I can find something to put under the monopod in the field - some timber, a camera bag etc - to boost the height if I need it. But if you are shooting low, crouched or sitting down, the limited max height is not an issue.

I don't use a head on the Manfrotto. I just lean the monopod up and down itself as needed. It's usable enough if you only need a limited range of motion up/down, like for sports. But on my larger monopod I do have a small tilt head, which is handy if i need to shoot something high, for example, like birds, for extended periods.
Thanks for your explanation - very helpful!

I can understand the limitations of this monopod being it is designed primarily as being a compact which is great for travelers. It sounds like it wouldn't suit my purposes all that well so I'll keep looking. Just wanted to check this out as it seemed a very good deal - which it is for what it is.
05-27-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great price to try, ordered this for a combo neck strap/monopod for hand held macro to support focusing with LV.

05-31-2015, 06:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Got it. Thx for posting.