K50 just keeps going down
Posted By: stillshot2, 06-12-2015, 06:07 PM

$295 with a 16gb memory card included!
Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera Body Black - B&H Photo Video
Views: 2,302
06-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting enough, only the black bodies have gone down so far - the red and white ones may follow, but not yet.

The most interesting thing to me is that large numbers of both K-30 and K-50 cameras are available on eBay, usually used-like-new, and the K-30 prices tend to be a tad higher(that i why there is now a K-30 in my signature photo - I got one of the few K-30s priced lower than typical K-50)

Last edited by reh321; 06-13-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added parenthetical thought
06-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's crazy low. All time record, I think, and what a great camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Too low.. Cheapening the product for current K-50 owners who were looking to part-fund a K-3II upgrade by reselling their K-50.
Makes Pentax look like cheap rubbish to people browsing B&H for their first DSLR.. "$295? Meh, must be shit."

06-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

Actually, I'd go straight for the K-50 if it was my first DSLR knowing the specs are nice and its cheap!! Cost was a top 3 factor in me picking Pentax in the first place. The reviews on B&H from actual buyers are merit enough...
06-13-2015, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If you consider the 18-135mm is an approx. $300 lens, this price for the kit is even lower: http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Digital-Camera-18-135mm-f3-5-5-6/dp/B00DBPK984/
06-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

At $295 what reason is there not to get a K-50? Even if it's just for the sake of having a backup body. Plus, the K-S2 doesn't have nearly as comfortable of a grip as the K-50.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At $295 what reason is there not to get a K-50? Even if it's just for the sake of having a backup body. Plus, the K-S2 doesn't have nearly as comfortable of a grip as the K-50.
295 reasons, exactly.
06-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Too low.. Cheapening the product for current K-50 owners who were looking to part-fund a K-3II upgrade by reselling their K-50.
Makes Pentax look like cheap rubbish to people browsing B&H for their first DSLR.. "$295? Meh, must be shit."
I don't think Ricoh really cares about resale value of their products in the used market. All they want is to get more K-mount users and pricing the K-50 body at $295 is a great strategy. Everyone is still making at least some money along the way and even if 2% get hooked and start buying higher margin glass then Ricoh makes even more money. Besides, most people sort products either by "best match", "most popular", or ... "lowest price first". Guess which make/model is more likely to show up at the top now?
06-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I don't think Ricoh really cares about resale value of their products in the used market. All they want is to get more K-mount users and pricing the K-50 body at $295 is a great strategy. Everyone is still making at least some money along the way and even if 2% get hooked and start buying higher margin glass then Ricoh makes even more money. Besides, most people sort products either by "best match", "most popular", or ... "lowest price first". Guess which make/model is more likely to show up at the top now?
So, how do we explain the flood of used-like new K-30s hitting the market, most being priced higher than most of the used-like-new K-50s??
06-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Supply and demand? I thought that people liked the ergonomics of the K-30 better than the K-50?
06-13-2015, 06:30 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Supply and demand? I thought that people liked the ergonomics of the K-30 better than the K-50?
could be people upgrading to the K-3 or K-3II ... or getting out of Pentax entirely for something else.. or they decided to take up underwater basket weaving.. the guesses are practically endless from our lacking view.

I upgrade bodies every couple of years it seems.. and sold off my K-30 (sadly for a big loss) for a K-5ii (at big discount!). so my K-30 could be one of those floating around now..
06-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, how do we explain the flood of used-like new K-30s hitting the market, most being priced higher than most of the used-like-new K-50s??
Well there were a lot of Pentax cameras with problems sold at auction in the Denver area a few months back. Suspicion was that these were warranty returns that had been sitting, until Ricoh decided what to do with them (K5 sensor stains for example). Is it possible there were a similar lot of perfectly functional cameras that had been customer returns from vendors?
06-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
could be people upgrading to the K-3 or K-3II ... or getting out of Pentax entirely for something else.. or they decided to take up underwater basket weaving.. the guesses are practically endless from our lacking view.

I upgrade bodies every couple of years it seems.. and sold off my K-30 (sadly for a big loss) for a K-5ii (at big discount!). so my K-30 could be one of those floating around now..
My question is very self-serving. The blue camera in my signature photo is a K-30 that I bought a few weeks ago from KEH, with lens for $290 ppd. Shutter count = 2. It seemed too good to be true, but I was desperate because the Canon Rebel that had been my primary camera had died unexpectedly, I didn't want to have to depend on my Q-7 for an extended period of time, and we had a cash flow problem, so I took the chance. Right now, it seems fine, but I've been wondering and wondering.
06-13-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My question is very self-serving. The blue camera in my signature photo is a K-30 that I bought a few weeks ago from KEH, with lens for $290 ppd. Shutter count = 2. It seemed too good to be true, but I was desperate because the Canon Rebel that had been my primary camera had died unexpectedly, I didn't want to have to depend on my Q-7 for an extended period of time, and we had a cash flow problem, so I took the chance. Right now, it seems fine, but I've been wondering and wondering.

There is nothing inherently wrong about the K-30 and the K-50 is essentially the same camera in a different shell (And I long have suspected one could use the K-50 firmware on the K-30 -- dont try it though unless you want to risk bricking your camera since this is only my suspicion it will work haha). That said, the K-5ii feels a lot more.. like a professional tool. It is solid. The top LCD is a boon (I use it very frequently) and the increased DR and high ISO performance is noticeable for the way I work (landscapes where I underexpose on purpose and then bring up in post). I can only imagine the K-3 feels even better.

That said, the K-30 is lighter and I think a little smaller which is fantastic on long hikes or trips. And it takes wonderful images if you don't go beyond ISO 800.

Oh yeah.. and 30 is cooler than 50.