Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread

77 Limited - $652.55 on Amazon
Posted By: Bunch, 07-15-2015, 07:28 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA-77mm-Limited-Lens/dp/B000EA3RW4
Views: 5,624
07-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #31

I think the moral of the story is that "deals" should be posted with clarification whether the item is gray market or not. A lot of folks aren't aware of the implications of gray market equipment and it is disingenuous to advertise a great price without mentioning the drawbacks that come with such a purchase.

07-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #32

Original Poster
I think when the deal is from Amazon we all can assume there is a good chance that it's gray market. And if someone makes it far enough to push the purchase button they should be able to figure out where it's coming from. If it's from Adorama or B&H we all know it's the US certified stuff.
07-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I think when the deal is from Amazon we all can assume there is a good chance that it's gray market. And if someone makes it far enough to push the purchase button they should be able to figure out where it's coming from. If it's from Adorama or B&H we all know it's the US certified stuff.
I purchased my K-5 from Amazon several years ago. It was sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon. I also got the 2 year extended warranty. I send it in to have it serviced when I only had a few months left of the extended warranty. Pentax honored it without a problem.

I try not to assume anything. However, with a little help from trusted members here, I can make a better decision.

Last edited by glee46; 07-19-2015 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Wrong "End", Right "In"
07-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #34
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I strongly doubt you will ever see a sold on Amazon, BY Amazon grey market product. One may, however, see a grey market item sold on Amazon, by 3rd party. But, even then, I think one is more likely to see a white box item (separated kit) than actual grey market.

Remember, as glee46 just proved, Amazon itself (sold and shipped by Amazon) is a licensed reseller of Pentax products. You're fine there. I'd be wary of the 3rd parties on there though.. esp if the price is lower.. you know it is lower for a reason..

Actually, I just checked the Ricoh site. Check this out:

QuoteQuote:
While Amazon is an authorized online dealer of Ricoh Imaging product, many resellers who sell through Amazon are not. It is important to note where the product is being “shipped from and sold by."
Find a RICOH Imaging Retailer

07-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I had read this last week from the same page you quoted.

"The purchase of Ricoh Imaging product through UNAUTHORIZED retailers my (Not 100% sure, but "my" is "may") exclude you from warranty service and support."

Interesting, that they would put, "may exclude you" I wonder what the exception would be where they would honor it. Maybe, a big retailer who pushes a lot of their products? Don't know at this point.

07-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I had read this last week from the same page you quoted.

"The purchase of Ricoh Imaging product through UNAUTHORIZED retailers my (Not 100% sure, but "my" is "may") exclude you from warranty service and support."

Interesting, that they would put, "may exclude you" I wonder what the exception would be where they would honor it. Maybe, a big retailer who pushes a lot of their products? Don't know at this point.

'May' is legal jargon to cover their backside for a one-off exception due to a law suit. For all intents and purposes, consider gray market items not eligible for OEM warranty.
07-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

OK. So grey market is bought in one place and used in another. What if you lived there and bought it there and then returned to the USA? (I lived in Japan a while).

I think somebody like Amazon if it came down to it would "honor" your warranty if needed, simply by sending you another one.

Where is the site that you can tell if your lenses are good/USA or bad/grey?

07-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
OK. So grey market is bought in one place and used in another. What if you lived there and bought it there and then returned to the USA? (I lived in Japan a while).

I think somebody like Amazon if it came down to it would "honor" your warranty if needed, simply by sending you another one.

Where is the site that you can tell if your lenses are good/USA or bad/grey?
There is not a list for gray market items. However, here's the list of Authorized Dealers in the USA.

Find a RICOH Imaging Retailer

I would also think, that if you Purchased something in Japan, you might have to get it service there as well. I'm not 100% sure how it works.
07-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #39
Veteran Member

This leads to another question. What if you bought the lens used, but that person bought it grey. You would have no way to know it.

I've bought almost all my lenses used.
07-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Caveat Emptor

This leads to another question. What if you bought the lens used, but that person bought it grey. You would have no way to know it.

I've bought almost all my lenses used.
I agree, it's a crap shoot each time. There is no way, that I know to find out. The guy at Richo/Pentax told me that the registration of serial number for lenses is for marketing. (I have no idea why they would use it for that.)

When it comes to a Forum Marketplace, by the time someone is ready to sell, it's more than likely out of warranty anyway. There are a few I have seen which offer to stand by the warranty if it's still within the time frame.

After the deal is done, there is always some who will say, "Caveat emptor" And that holds true for many things in this world.
07-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I did not make myself clear in my thinking. My bad.

As I understand it Nikon and/or others refuse to offer any service for a lens they see as grey market. At the present time Pentax does not do this but could change the mind in the future. This would have serious consequences to many people.

What I'm trying to explain: I buy almost everything I own used. However, Pentax lenses are the only really "expensive" things I've bought used, short of a car. And frankly if they charge $400 to fix a lens I paid $500 for most people say well I'll take my chances getting another one than have somebody that fired up a doober at lunch take it apart. Sure. But what if that lens is no longer available. Or what if a lens starts costing A LOT more than they have been costing in the past (which is expected).

This is the first time I have ever heard of a company refusing to service their own equipment even if you pay for it. I am actually shocked.
07-23-2015, 01:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did not make myself clear in my thinking. My bad.

As I understand it Nikon and/or others refuse to offer any service for a lens they see as grey market. At the present time Pentax does not do this but could change the mind in the future. This would have serious consequences to many people.

What I'm trying to explain: I buy almost everything I own used. However, Pentax lenses are the only really "expensive" things I've bought used, short of a car. And frankly if they charge $400 to fix a lens I paid $500 for most people say well I'll take my chances getting another one than have somebody that fired up a doober at lunch take it apart. Sure. But what if that lens is no longer available. Or what if a lens starts costing A LOT more than they have been costing in the past (which is expected).

This is the first time I have ever heard of a company refusing to service their own equipment even if you pay for it. I am actually shocked.
I think they do it to protect the local distributor's and retailer's benefits. If everyone starts buying from the grey market only, what store would be willing to stock up Pentax products?

By the way, the FA 77 is on sale for $659 at the moment on Amazon.
07-23-2015, 04:01 AM   #43

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I agree, it's a crap shoot each time. There is no way, that I know to find out. The guy at Richo/Pentax told me that the registration of serial number for lenses is for marketing. (I have no idea why they would use it for that.)
Did you get the 77mm from Amazon and were you able to check if the warranty is valid?
07-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like someone else has mentioned the real story is B&H and now adorama have it for $713 and you get 3 year drop and spill warranty from Adorama! That's enough I can't take it anymore DAMN LBA!

Gray market you're taking a risk with the warranty, because you can't provided dated receipt from an authorized dealer so you may or MAY NOT get it serviced under warranty, but criscam would take your money grey market used or whatever. I think Ricoh states MAY because some 3rd party Amazon sellers are authorized dealers.
07-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Like someone else has mentioned the real story is B&H and now adorama have it for $713 and you get 3 year drop and spill warranty from Adorama! That's enough I can't take it anymore DAMN LBA!

Oh jeez, you're just trying to make me spend money huh? My Fa 31 is tired of being the lonely child... This is a great deal from a great retailer!