Views: 11,570
08-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Updates:Nikon 200-500 F5.6 is $1399.99!
Well at that rate you can pick up a bigma 50-500 for ~$800

Of course, the quality wont be the same, but quality is for the dogs right?

08-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I got this lens...:-)

it was not getting love for some time it seems... sticky duct tape & marks all over.... the front cover was sticky around the edges... the case was bent.
I spent some time cleaning and it looks quite good again... the optics where good from beginning (PZ & Focus, Limiter) and I have fixed the box...

now I just need to get a proper bag or backpack to carry it... any recommendations?
I have a proper Tripod and Gimbal so no need there...:-)

How I did clean the Lens & Cover:
The lens had those ugly duct tape marks from the glue. I tested different options on the bottom of the the collar and found that Ethanol is working the best for getting rid of the marks and not dissolving the silver coating.
And the same was true for the front cover. I was able to remove the fake (faux) leather which got sticky with the years and was peeling of. The cover pieces are made of real leather but the borders/bindings are made with these faux leather bands.. I used a lot of ethanol (alcohol) to remove the faux leather layer and reveal the textile underneath. Hope this helps someone else!

Last edited by max_pyne; 08-08-2015 at 08:57 AM.
08-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #33
Pentaxian

here my first shot with the lens. some room for improvement especially for the handling... :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #34
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote
I got this lens...:-)
Congratulations! Sounds like you've done a nice job of cleaning it up, too.

Promising first image as well

Do I want a 250-600? Sure! But for my needs it doesn't really fit - I need something that's easy to carry...

08-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
now I just need to get a proper bag or backpack to carry it... any recommendations?
Gongrats for you purchase Max_pyne!

I bought a Kata TLB800 for my lens. Very Good bag, lots of room to insert it with the body + lens hood extended, + lens support and lots of accessories...

I'd strongly suggest , apart of a very sturdy tripod, a lens support kit to reduce the vibration , and enhance the keeper rate (I bought mine at Hejnar photo). the way the tripod mount is placed, make it very sensible to vibrations, event just the shutter movement (also, keep your left arm rest on the top of the lens to also reduce vibrations when you shoot)

I also now keep mine in a an LensCoat, Rain Coat 2 Pro all the time + rain cap, (one colour Realtree Max4 for summer, and one RealTree AP Snow for winter), to prevent any scratches on the silver body, and any possible wet fallings.

Sylvain

Last edited by Weevil; 08-08-2015 at 10:33 AM.
08-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Thanks! The Kata TLB-800 seems to be discontinued the TLB-600 does not allow to have the hood extended... and it seems that it is now under Manfrotto... I was looking at König Lenspacker 2 Komfort, Lowepro lens trekker 600 & the Lens coat expandable (although the harness does not look to comfy)..

i will have a look at the Hejnar product i have something similar but its an addition where you mount the collar on top. But your solution looks much better, what length did you get? Is it the 12 Inch version?

---------- Post added 08-08-15 at 22:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Congratulations! Sounds like you've done a nice job of cleaning it up, too.

Promising first image as well

Do I want a 250-600? Sure! But for my needs it doesn't really fit - I need something that's easy to carry...
hehe that's what I have the DA* 300 and the FA* 400 for (with TC) although I was recently on a heavy (4 hours constantly going up) hike with the FA* 400, DA 21, 15 and some other gear (the backpack was 14 Kg or 30 punds) and was quite ok with the load...

the 250-600 will not be something i want to carry that far at least not with additional stuff... but i think i can handle the load (Camera, Lens and Tripod+Gimbal = 10 Kg 22 lbs)

Last edited by max_pyne; 08-08-2015 at 01:34 PM.
08-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Thats how it looks now...:-)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HTC One_M8 dual sim  Photo 
08-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But your solution looks much better, what length did you get? Is it the 12 Inch version?
Hello,
on the support kit you see above , you'll find those parts (note: the part numbers may have changed since, it was 2 years ago)

- 12in 5/8 rail (Model: G014-12)
- 4 in rail (Model: LLSR 4.00)
- Std bar with wheels (Model: Standard bar with 1.150 wheels)
- The end side clamp to hold the 4 in rail + wheels in vertical position ( Model F61B )

For the bag, it's not a big issue to have room only for the lens without the hood extended. Often I unscrew the hood to store it, if pretty fast and easy to do (there is a divider that permits to adjust the internal size of the bag). But make sure you always put the lens cap to prevent any damage to the front element when the hood is retracted!

When I carry it on my shoulder, I always keep the lens hood extended, and put a LensCoat Rain Cap on it to prevent any debris or branches to enter inside the hood... it is more convenient that the OEM lens cap, that I want to keep dust / dirt free... (and the raincap is waterproof and breathable).

You'll build up some nice shoulder/arm / back muscle in a near future ! lol!
08-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hello,
on the support kit you see above , you'll find those parts (note: the part numbers may have changed since, it was 2 years ago)

- 12in 5/8 rail (Model: G014-12)
- 4 in rail (Model: LLSR 4.00)
- Std bar with wheels (Model: Standard bar with 1.150 wheels)
- The end side clamp to hold the 4 in rail + wheels in vertical position ( Model F61B )

For the bag, it's not a big issue to have room only for the lens without the hood extended. Often I unscrew the hood to store it, if pretty fast and easy to do (there is a divider that permits to adjust the internal size of the bag). But make sure you always put the lens cap to prevent any damage to the front element when the hood is retracted!

When I carry it on my shoulder, I always keep the lens hood extended, and put a LensCoat Rain Cap on it to prevent any debris or branches to enter inside the hood... it is more convenient that the OEM lens cap, that I want to keep dust / dirt free... (and the raincap is waterproof and breathable).

You'll build up some nice shoulder/arm / back muscle in a near future ! lol!
Thank you for sharing this information! I will order the parts. and i will get the rain cap and most probably the rain coat. but i would have wished there was a lens coat for it... (somebody should have sent the lens to them :-))
For the bag i will have a look and compare the different options. thanks again!

-----
This how it looked
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D200  Photo 

Last edited by max_pyne; 08-08-2015 at 02:33 PM.
08-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You did a real good job!
i would have wished there was a lens coat for it... (somebody should have sent the lens to them :-))
I used to contact LensCoat for that, and they wanted me to send my lens by mail to take the exact measurements. (I think they would've give me one lenscoat for that service), but I found that this was a bit too risky. Instead I ordered some cohesive tape (this is cheap on amazon) that leaves no glue residues, but its not easy to cover all the lens with all the moving parts etc, so I finally choose the raincoat.

Have fun with your new toy!
08-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Looks like you got yourself a solid walk around lens!
08-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bumblebee will fit the 250-600 with other gear:

The TLB-600PL is probably a better choice if you want the lens more "prepared." In the bumblebee, you'll be setting it back up every time you pull it out.

That is a full set of gear ranging from 4.5mm to 600mm
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
The bumblebee will fit the 250-600 with other gear:

The TLB-600PL is probably a better choice if you want the lens more "prepared." In the bumblebee, you'll be setting it back up every time you pull it out.

That is a full set of gear ranging from 4.5mm to 600mm
Thanks, that looks tempting... but it will lead me to carry to much stuff..... I chronically take to many lenses with me... have to stop that in favor to my future back....:-)

On the other hand: it would probably fit the DA12-24, 100 Macro, FA*28-70, 80-200 --> I could have a complete kit from 12-600 :-) no fish eye though, thats something missing on my shelf.

Last edited by max_pyne; 08-10-2015 at 12:38 PM.
08-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After trying many different setups, when I go out in the field now, I carry the FA250-600 on the tripod, and I bring ouly a "relatively" small bag: I use a Think Thank Speed Racer v2.0, in which I can insert my K5+DA300 (hood reversed) or any other quite large lenses (could be the DA60-250 or 50-135 according to the situation, a macro 100mm wr, a prime fa 50mm, the DA16-50, the FE10-17, plus other accessories such as filters, batteries, remote trigger, SD cards, cleaning kit. I can add 2 lens pouches on the belt for more storage if I need more, and this is quite comfortable, because the weight is spread on the hips and on the shoulder (belt (well padded). I carry the tripod on the belt side, so that ooffer some cushion...
08-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Updates:Nikon 200-500 F5.6 is $1399.99!
It's impressive that it's so cheap, based on some of their other premium lens prices...

Then again it's rather slow at F5.6. But it is an FX lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: