Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax K3-II $914 from Amazon.com (1st party)
Posted By: Fat Albert, 07-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Amazon.com : Pentax K-3II Pentax DSLR (Body Only) : Camera & Photo

Go to the other sellers section in the link. I'm only posting this because Adorama matched the price! Cheapest price + Adorama service + the forum gets money = everybody wins.
Views: 1,209
07-29-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Good Deal

I had ordered my K-3II last week from B&H. However, they didn't send it out until they knew for certain the stock was clean. I could of went with the one at Amazon which was being sold and fulfilled by Amazon (Meaning it's an Authorized Dealer) for $914 plus 5% off due to my Amazon Store Card, and the price would have been $869. I decided to stay with B&H knowing I would not have to send this one back because of the shut off issues. This is my 4th one. 2 from Amazon and two from B&H. I hope Pentax Forums gets the credit as I put in my 1st order from B&H through here.

I also hope this is my last K-3II. If this one is bad, I think I'll just wait until the next model to be released from Pentax.
07-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

All is perfect

Just got my new K-3II today from B&H. Everything is perfect. My serial # is way over the problem ones (621260729xxxx) No problem with this one not shutting off.
07-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I got 4 defective K3II cameras from Amazon. One of them was with a serial number above what Pentax have announced. Although it is not Amazon's problem and they were very good and quick about the returns, I think it would be better to pay more and go with B&H. For me, I went with something else. Four defective cameras were enough for me to look somewhere else.

07-31-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
I got 4 defective K3II cameras from Amazon. One of them was with a serial number above what Pentax have announced. Although it is not Amazon's problem and they were very good and quick about the returns, I think it would be better to pay more and go with B&H. For me, I went with something else. Four defective cameras were enough for me to look somewhere else.
Sorry to hear you're leaving the Pentax world, but I completely understand. This K-3II is great in every way so far. Keep in touch and let us know how things are on the other side of the track.
08-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Sorry to hear you're leaving the Pentax world, but I completely understand. This K-3II is great in every way so far. Keep in touch and let us know how things are on the other side of the track.
I'm glad everything worked well for you. I'm still confused of what I want to get instead. Pentax K3II seemed like the perfect camera for me. Right now I'm looking into Fujifilm X-T1 though. I still can't make my mind. I really like Pentax!
08-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really like Pentax!
Get a regular K-3 then! The bundle with the DA 50 f/1.8 and flash is what, like $650? Can't be beat!
08-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

Interesting as Amazon Warehouse has 4 of them for sale. By saying 'defective', did you actually experience the documented issue on all four of these bodies?

08-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Interesting as Amazon Warehouse has 4 of them for sale. By saying 'defective', did you actually experience the documented issue on all four of these bodies?
It is good that they are now in Warehouse Deals. I returned three cameras with suspect SNs to Amazon (shipped not sold by Amazon Prime). The first worked perfectly but I got it right after the advisory and decided not to take a chance. The next two also worked perfectly but each had clearly been used and set up by another buyer. I didn't want to accept used cameras so I returned them w/o problems. I bet they are now part of the Warehouse deals group and would be a good deal for someone willing to accept used. I loved my K-3ii and now that there seem to be good SNs in the pipe I will get another one. The K-3ii is an outstanding camera and no one should hesitate to buy one if its specs are what you are after. Only make sure you are getting the new ones and from an authorized dealer.
08-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The first one was actually fine but I replaced it when Pentax announced the the affected serial number. The second camera serial number was above the affected ones and it had the same shutdown problem. The 3rd and 4th where too within the affected serial numbers and both had the issue as well.

At the same time, I bought K3II for 2 of my friends from B&H and Amazon and they got good serial numbers and good cameras so we kept those. Are they lucky or am I unlucky? Don't answer!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Get a regular K-3 then! The bundle with the DA 50 f/1.8 and flash is what, like $650? Can't be beat!
I was considering the K3 but then I tried the XT1 since I'm looking into WR bodies. I like the focus system in the XT1. I found it more accurate than the K3II and I could focus on things that the K3II couldn't focus on. I like how you can override the manual focus with the AF button. I mean that you could put the camera in manual focus then use the AF button to auto focus at any time. That makes every lens a quick shift lens. The lenses are expensive compared to Pentax but even the kit lens I've used is comparable if not better than a good limited lens. Manual focus is much easier using the XT1 too. Actually, I doubt there is a better focus system for manual lenses than this. However, SR isn't built in the camera. Although the OIS on the Fujifilm lens I've used is far better than what Pentax SR has to offer, it makes using old lenses without OIS hard unless you're using a fast old lens. Fujifilm also is clearer about their future than Pentax. I feel like Pentax future is unknown.

All that said, I like the K3II and even though the XT1 has all those manual dials and buttons, I still think that the K3II feels much better in the hand (At least for me). Since I'm just starting now and I don't have many lenses, I know it would be easy for me to move to any brand. However, I just keep getting back to Pentax and I have no idea why!