Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
K 400/5.6 on ebay - No bids yet @ $150
Posted By: jhaji, 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM

K 400/5.6 (Ex) on ebay

Would've much rather had this than the 3rd party ones that I picked up.
Views: 3,795
09-05-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #46
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I concur. I find often when trying to single out a single item in a crowd of others, both near and far, auto focus can take longer than I do with manual focus. Then again, I'm a product of the manual focus world, so having to use it occasionally doesn't tend to bother me. Kind of like arguing the merits of auto transmissions vs. manual. They both have their places.
I thought that was the point of having Quick Shift on AF lenses though? Best of both 'worlds.'

And I don't think your analogy of automotive transmissions works in this situation, but I do respect you prefer the old method of working.

09-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #47
Moderator
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,239
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought that was the point of having Quick Shift on AF lenses though? Best of both 'worlds.'

And I don't think your analogy of automotive transmissions works in this situation, but I do respect you prefer the old method of working.
Actually if you stop and think about it, the analogy works very well. In the beginning, all cars, like all SLR's were manual. It didn't matter what price range, the operator had to 'think' for his/her self. When to up shift vs. what aperture. How many gears vs. what ISO film. Then automatics started hitting the markets. They were crude by todays standards but worked fairly well. Now, we have cameras and cars come in automatic only, taking all decisions out of the operator's hands. We also have hybrids that do both, offer full auto or manual operation, which ever the owner wants.

I wasn't stating that categorically one system is better than the other, just that there are situations where manual can triumph over automatic.
09-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #48
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,922
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually if you stop and think about it, the analogy works very well. In the beginning, all cars, like all SLR's were manual. It didn't matter what price range, the operator had to 'think' for his/her self. When to up shift vs. what aperture. How many gears vs. what ISO film. Then automatics started hitting the markets. They were crude by todays standards but worked fairly well. Now, we have cameras and cars come in automatic only, taking all decisions out of the operator's hands. We also have hybrids that do both, offer full auto or manual operation, which ever the owner wants.

I wasn't stating that categorically one system is better than the other, just that there are situations where manual can triumph over automatic.

Yes, but that is a full manual CAMERA. We are discussing manual lenses here. Specially, attempting to focus in on a person in a crowd.

Besides, with AF lenses one can set it to full manual mode as well as the camera body itself and go crazy. Or enable the automatic features if one pleases. But yes, this was never intended to be a you vs me thing so we can just end that nonsense here right now. I was only trying to understand the appeal of these really old lenses. And it has been already answered succinctly.
09-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #49
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually if you stop and think about it, the analogy works very well. In the beginning, all cars, like all SLR's were manual. It didn't matter what price range, the operator had to 'think' for his/her self. When to up shift vs. what aperture. How many gears vs. what ISO film. Then automatics started hitting the markets. They were crude by todays standards but worked fairly well. Now, we have cameras and cars come in automatic only, taking all decisions out of the operator's hands. We also have hybrids that do both, offer full auto or manual operation, which ever the owner wants.

I wasn't stating that categorically one system is better than the other, just that there are situations where manual can triumph over automatic.
Mind you, in other places of the world, manual transmission is still the norm. You can buy relatively expensive cars with stick shift, that comes as standard. It doesn't help that in those places auto transmissions have terrible reputations, and are almost impossible to repair

Regarding cameras, I like manual everything. I feel that the combo of manual focus/auto exposure can be very fortunate, more so than manual everything, though. Or the other way around - manual exposure and AF. Maybe it's just me, but when I leave the camera to do everything by itself, it likes to screw up.

09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
It has Arrived

As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100%) so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -

Last edited by monochrome; 09-08-2015 at 06:02 PM.
09-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
TomTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 478
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100% so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -
Congrats, mono. I wish you success with your new acquisition.
09-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #52
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 227
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100%) so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -
congrats on the new aquisition - curious how you feel it compares to the takumar 500/4.5 (which I own) the 500 is a beast, which hinders taking it in the field very far... (but is great for moon shots except my tripod struggles under the weight)
09-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,345
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100%) so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -
Congrats! Enjoy and post some pictures. Glad it came with caps, saves you some money.

Phil.

09-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
kentster's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 287
congrats... i was bidding with ya.lol. excited to see some pics from it...i'm continuing my search for one similar.
09-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
congrats on the new aquisition - curious how you feel it compares to the takumar 500/4.5 (which I own) the 500 is a beast, which hinders taking it in the field very far... (but is great for moon shots except my tripod struggles under the weight)
First impression, the 500 was too much lens for me. This is so much shorter, smaller and lighter that I should be able to learn to use it. I did hand-held test shots last night focused through the VF and came damned close to sharp focus at 100% crop.

Short answer - 400 I can use beats 500 I can't.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-10-2015 at 12:40 PM.
09-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,844
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Short answer - 400 I can use beats 500 I can't.
Best answer ever! Any lens that is a bad fit for you (for whatever reason) no matter how great it is - is a bad lens to continue to own unless you plan to change your shooting to fit the lens - which may be part of your growth or may be a bad decision depending on the situation.
09-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
Extreme Telephoto is its own special skill set. At the time I wasn't ready to make the commitment.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
allure, aperture, camera, cost, coupon, ebay, ebay no bids, k-mount, lenses, pentax deals, pleasure, rings, savings, tak
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 150-600 5-6.3..... no K mount Venom3300 Pentax News and Rumors 91 11-26-2016 01:58 PM
$2,500 U.S Ebay authorized seller: Pentax HD PENTAX D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW Stavri Pentax Price Watch 7 05-13-2015 06:33 AM
No Camera yet. Set on a K-50 though Smokinthunder1 Welcomes and Introductions 13 11-21-2013 07:42 PM
Pentax A 400/5.6 on ebay Ben_Edict Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-10-2009 07:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top