Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K 400/5.6 on ebay - No bids yet @ $150
Posted By: jhaji, 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

K 400/5.6 (Ex) on ebay

Would've much rather had this than the 3rd party ones that I picked up.
Views: 5,128
09-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I thought that was the point of having Quick Shift on AF lenses though? Best of both 'worlds.'

And I don't think your analogy of automotive transmissions works in this situation, but I do respect you prefer the old method of working.
Actually if you stop and think about it, the analogy works very well. In the beginning, all cars, like all SLR's were manual. It didn't matter what price range, the operator had to 'think' for his/her self. When to up shift vs. what aperture. How many gears vs. what ISO film. Then automatics started hitting the markets. They were crude by todays standards but worked fairly well. Now, we have cameras and cars come in automatic only, taking all decisions out of the operator's hands. We also have hybrids that do both, offer full auto or manual operation, which ever the owner wants.

I wasn't stating that categorically one system is better than the other, just that there are situations where manual can triumph over automatic.

09-05-2015, 06:10 PM   #47
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Actually if you stop and think about it, the analogy works very well. In the beginning, all cars, like all SLR's were manual. It didn't matter what price range, the operator had to 'think' for his/her self. When to up shift vs. what aperture. How many gears vs. what ISO film. Then automatics started hitting the markets. They were crude by todays standards but worked fairly well. Now, we have cameras and cars come in automatic only, taking all decisions out of the operator's hands. We also have hybrids that do both, offer full auto or manual operation, which ever the owner wants.

I wasn't stating that categorically one system is better than the other, just that there are situations where manual can triumph over automatic.

Yes, but that is a full manual CAMERA. We are discussing manual lenses here. Specially, attempting to focus in on a person in a crowd.

Besides, with AF lenses one can set it to full manual mode as well as the camera body itself and go crazy. Or enable the automatic features if one pleases. But yes, this was never intended to be a you vs me thing so we can just end that nonsense here right now. I was only trying to understand the appeal of these really old lenses. And it has been already answered succinctly.
09-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote

Mind you, in other places of the world, manual transmission is still the norm. You can buy relatively expensive cars with stick shift, that comes as standard. It doesn't help that in those places auto transmissions have terrible reputations, and are almost impossible to repair

Regarding cameras, I like manual everything. I feel that the combo of manual focus/auto exposure can be very fortunate, more so than manual everything, though. Or the other way around - manual exposure and AF. Maybe it's just me, but when I leave the camera to do everything by itself, it likes to screw up.
09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has Arrived

As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100%) so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -

Last edited by monochrome; 09-08-2015 at 06:02 PM.
09-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As of 7:00 UPS just left and I just completed the unboxing. Alas, it is already dark out, so I've only mounted it to my K-3 and pointed it at the other end of my living room. Sitting it on a table with the K-3 mounted it isn't front-heavy (balances on the tripod foot), so perhaps my HD ballhead will do for a while. There's one of those crazy red moons coming . . . .

It is pristine, spotless glass, sharp aperture clicks and the tripod foot looks unused. It includes the correct caps, the metal Asahi Pentax slip on front cap (Boz says 80mm, Phil says 84mm) and the pre-A rear cap, both spotless. They weren't showing in the eBay FS post, so $165 was really a steal.

For a 400mm lens it is surprisingly small and light. I've had and sold the K300/4 and the Takumar 500/4.5 (which is a monster) and this feels just slightly larger than the 300.

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100% so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -
Congrats, mono. I wish you success with your new acquisition.
09-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #51

Photos: Albums

I can focus it through the viewfinder (checking in LiveView and enlarging the preview to 100%) so props go out to my eye surgeon - and thanks to the OP for pointing this out!!

Pic's follow -
congrats on the new aquisition - curious how you feel it compares to the takumar 500/4.5 (which I own) the 500 is a beast, which hinders taking it in the field very far... (but is great for moon shots except my tripod struggles under the weight)
09-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pic's follow -
Congrats! Enjoy and post some pictures. Glad it came with caps, saves you some money.

Phil.

09-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #53

congrats... i was bidding with ya.lol. excited to see some pics from it...i'm continuing my search for one similar.
09-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
congrats on the new aquisition - curious how you feel it compares to the takumar 500/4.5 (which I own) the 500 is a beast, which hinders taking it in the field very far... (but is great for moon shots except my tripod struggles under the weight)
First impression, the 500 was too much lens for me. This is so much shorter, smaller and lighter that I should be able to learn to use it. I did hand-held test shots last night focused through the VF and came damned close to sharp focus at 100% crop.

Short answer - 400 I can use beats 500 I can't.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-10-2015 at 12:40 PM.
09-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Short answer - 400 I can use beats 500 I can't.
Best answer ever! Any lens that is a bad fit for you (for whatever reason) no matter how great it is - is a bad lens to continue to own unless you plan to change your shooting to fit the lens - which may be part of your growth or may be a bad decision depending on the situation.
09-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Extreme Telephoto is its own special skill set. At the time I wasn't ready to make the commitment.