Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4x JIS Screwdrivers, Moody Chromium Vanadium Steel $17.50 @ Amazon
Posted By: dcshooter, 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM

Saw this on Amazon deals and thought it might be of interest to forum members interested in lens/camera body repair on Pentax or any other Japanese cameras or lenses.

As you might know, the screws used on most Japanese camera gear since the 1970's are not regular Phillips screws but are rather Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS), and will strip out if you attempt to use a regular Phillips driver on them.

I have a lot of experience doing this kind of work, and in my opinion, Moody makes the absolute best JIS drivers for working on vintage gear.

This very nice chromed set, which usually goes for $23, is on sale for $17.50 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PGO1T6/ref=pe_64730_148035630_em_1p_8_ti

Last edited by dcshooter; 08-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Views: 3,053
08-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is a very good price and I totally agree regarding the Moody quality.

Steve
08-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Thanks, I'll give them a try.
08-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I actually just got a set of these, and I don't find them to be well made at all. The black carbon tips wobble in the metal handles no matter how much you tighten. FYI.

I am awaiting this set from Japan: http://www.amazon.com/VESSEL-precision-screwdriver-set-TD-56/dp/B000CED236/r...0RTKYT1T7EAH0X

08-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

You have to unscrew the cap completely and make sure the tip is seated fully then tighten it down. When the handles come from the factory the prongs are a little too compressed for the tang of the tip to fit into them. You should only have to do this once and then everything will be fine.
08-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DcShooter had recommended them earlier to another member when I was doing a bellows and mirror foam job on the RB67.
So with the help of a drop of acetone and a tap on the head of each of about 20 1.6mm flat head screws, I was able to get them all out and back in without damage. Some of the 40+ year old screws were really tight, so a lathe dog helped.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PL1  Photo 
08-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe that this set is the variety with the permanently attached shafts, so wobbling wouldn't be an issue if you find it to be a problem. FWIW, I have both attached and interchangeable varieties by Moody, and I've never had a problem with either.

Not familiar with the VESSEL set below, but they appear reasonably well-made from the photos. My preference for the Moodys stems from the fact that the tips are much less prone to breakage at the tip thanks to the CV steel used than any other brand I've used. This can be a real problem with tight screws as often found on lenses (the mount screws on A series Pentax lenses are a particular driver killer!). I can't attest to the durbaility of the VESSELS, but I see nothing indicating they use CV steel in the bits, so caveat emptor.

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I actually just got a set of these, and I don't find them to be well made at all. The black carbon tips wobble in the metal handles no matter how much you tighten. FYI.

I am awaiting this set from Japan: http://www.amazon.com/VESSEL-precision-screwdriver-set-TD-56/dp/B000CED236/r...0RTKYT1T7EAH0X
08-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I bought a Moody "Pollics" 4 piece set. the #0 shattered the first time I used it. Amazon cave up on my order trying to get a "replacement"...

08-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

A few of the reviews said the plastic handles were prone to breaking. Moody has a lifetime warranty so you can always contact them directly for a replacement. If I were working with printed circuits I'd use the plastic handles. I bought one of the metal handle interchangeable sets. I find changing the tips is not a problem. Makes you stop and think a bit. You can always buy another handle or two. I think I paid slightly less with free shipping from Moody through Amazon. You can also buy the interchangeable sets with a magnet in the handle. I just slightly magnetized the tips myself.
08-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A few of the reviews said the plastic handles were prone to breaking. Moody has a lifetime warranty so you can always contact them directly for a replacement. If I were working with printed circuits I'd use the plastic handles. I bought one of the metal handle interchangeable sets. I find changing the tips is not a problem. Makes you stop and think a bit. You can always buy another handle or two. I think I paid slightly less with free shipping from Moody through Amazon. You can also buy the interchangeable sets with a magnet in the handle. I just slightly magnetized the tips myself.
I should have been more clear, the tip chattered not the handle, which is very ergonomic BTW.
I do have an all metal set from early eighties that still works fine
08-28-2015, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've only managed to break the tips on 2 Moodys ever, both #000s used on screws that were too large and extremely tight. Over time and substantial use, the smallest tips do tend to show wear, though.

I've found #1 rule of loosening micro-sized screws is to use the largest size screwdriver that will fit snugly without being so big as to begin boring out the screw hole (more of a problem with flat-headed set screws). The #2 rule is to always apply MEK or Acetone first, because most lens/camera screws use some amount of threadlocker on them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I should have been more clear, the tip chattered not the handle, which is very ergonomic BTW.
I do have an all metal set from early eighties that still works fine
08-29-2015, 04:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I bought a Moody "Pollics" 4 piece set. the #0 shattered the first time I used it. Amazon cave up on my order trying to get a "replacement"...
I have the Moody Pollicis set and I absolutely love them! I regret not buying them a long time ago.
08-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FYI, like gunsmithing screwdrivers, these are no doubt hardened to the point where they will intentionally break to prevent them from chewing up the screw instead. Try boogering up a screw on someone's $25,000 shotgun and you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Then again, there's always the lefty-loosey, righty-tighty thing.
09-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The price has gone up to $18.89, but still not bad for the right tool. My first lens disassembly will be interesting.

Thank you, dc.

Last edited by TomTom; 09-11-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: incomplete
09-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter

I ordered this and I got mini hex head drivers.