Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread

K-3 for $649 w/ free DA 50mm and flash (Black Friday)
Posted By: Adam, 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM

A nice K-3 deal has just gone up at Adorama (free 50mm lens and flash + K-3 for $649.00):

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530

While the deal surely won't last, it's nice to finally get a break from the stubborn price tag of $749 at US authorized dealers.

Views: 30,162
10-30-2015, 08:35 PM   #166
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeko Quote
I received the DA 50mm 1.8 but they sent the flimsy lens box in a thin bubble wrap envelope!

The lens is fine but the box is all crunched up and ripped, and now Adorama is blaming UPS for it and wants UPS to investigate NO!

Is that a common thing with Adorama now? I never received anything from them before in that a sh***y packaging.
This greatly concerns me!

10-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #167
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This greatly concerns me!
It shouldn't. Unless you were looking for a collector box.. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
10-30-2015, 08:37 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I wasn't really "in the market" for a K-3 before I saw the great prices. I've been content with my K-30 but I've been thinking about an upgrade for a while. I was trying to talk this up as a gift idea but time ran out. Plus I just picked up a lens under the old "it's easier to ask forgiveness" premise so jumping on this right now probably wasn't in the cards.

There might be other retailers out there with deals on BF too. If not, maybe a K-3 II will work as prices come down.
10-30-2015, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #169
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Yeah, I wasn't really "in the market" for a K-3 before I saw the great prices. I've been content with my K-30 but I've been thinking about an upgrade for a while. I was trying to talk this up as a gift idea but time ran out. Plus I just picked up a lens under the old "it's easier to ask forgiveness" premise so jumping on this right now probably wasn't in the cards.

There might be other retailers out there with deals on BF too. If not, maybe a K-3 II will work as prices come down.
Huge difference (imo) between the midtier bodies and the flagship bodies in how they feel. I had a K-30 for a few months before jumping in on a BF blowout sale for the K-5II a couple of years back. Once you pickup one of the flagships (K-5, K-5 II, K-3, etc) you might notice it too. It was night/day difference for me.

That said, prices will only go downward as technology goes upward with waiting.. so no major rush. It just means you'll get more camera for your dollar when you do decide to upgrade.

10-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #170
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It shouldn't. Unless you were looking for a collector box.. But I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
I don't care about the box much; rather I do care about possible damage to the eyepiece. The way packages are thrown around, packed on top of one another, etc., a bubble envelope does not give the protection to an eyepiece like a box with bubble wrap or stuffing would.
10-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #171
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was night/day difference for me
Same here!
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The way packages are thrown around, packed on top of one another, etc., a bubble envelope does not give the protection to an eyepiece like a box with bubble wrap or stuffing would.
I agree. The K3 that I ordered from this thread arrived yesterday. Know how I knew it was delivered? I heard a loud THUD! sound hit my front door. It sounded like someone threw a basketball at my door. I opened the door to see what the sound was, and the box was laying on the ground and the UPS guy was getting back into his truck. No doorbell or anything. I guess the box hitting the door was his way of knocking. Luckily, the K3 was surrounded in bubble strips inside of a well packed box. I'd hate to see how a poorly packed lens would fair with the same treatment.

I keep all camera and lens boxes. If I ever decide to sell the equipment, having the box helps the sale.

10-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #173
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I keep all camera and lens boxes. If I ever decide to sell the equipment, having the box helps the sale.
Same here.

All the delivery trucks in my area, UPS, FedEx, Postal, travel extremely rough dirt roads, of course driving as fast as possible to stay on schedule; I can only imagine the packages being thrown around, or at the very least bounced badly; in the backs of trucks. That's why I would definitely worry about a lens packed in a bubble envelope.
10-31-2015, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #174

If any of you people have ever seen inside of a UPS packages sortation facility, then you would consider getting packages undamaged a miracle...
10-31-2015, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #175

To me it's not so much about how the delivery services treat the packages, we all know how 'careful' they treat stuff, it's the nature of the beast and I don't blame them.

It is more about why on earth wouldn't you package items correctly to begin with? Is the price difference between a bubble wrap envelope and a cardboard box that huge that it justifies pissed off customers and warranty claims?

And yes, if I buy something new then I expect the box to look new.
It is sad when a used lens in box from B&H, KEH and Amazon looks A LOT better than a brand new one from Adorama...

Same here.

All the delivery trucks in my area, UPS, FedEx, Postal, travel extremely rough dirt roads, of course driving as fast as possible to stay on schedule; I can only imagine the packages being thrown around, or at the very least bounced badly; in the backs of trucks. That's why I would definitely worry about a lens packed in a bubble envelope.
10-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Huge difference (imo) between the midtier bodies and the flagship bodies in how they feel. I had a K-30 for a few months before jumping in on a BF blowout sale for the K-5II a couple of years back. Once you pickup one of the flagships (K-5, K-5 II, K-3, etc) you might notice it too. It was night/day difference for me.

That said, prices will only go downward as technology goes upward with waiting.. so no major rush. It just means you'll get more camera for your dollar when you do decide to upgrade.
Yep, that is why I was wanting to upgrade. I just hadn't really committed to full purchase mode.

FWIW, doing a quick search this morning, this sale is back to $749 with the flash and 50mm at Adorama. B&H has the body and flash only for $649 and body, 50mm and battery grip for $749.
10-31-2015, 10:11 PM - 3 Likes   #177
Adorama Camera Representative

I've copied all the comments above over to our shipping manager, and am awaiting a response back. It's true they do use a vacuum sealer bag machine (can't remember its proper name!) for a number of items. But my understanding has always been that an assessment is carried out on items that are shipped via this method to ensure they arrive safely.
Now, I don’t know whether the shipping department has actually received any complaints about this particular item previously - but they have now!!

Ultimately, if an item arrived damaged there is no issue replacing it, which suggests to me that in the cases described above, either the percentage of those damaged are so small that it's been felt that it is a sound business decision, OR these were sporadic errors by packing team members.

It would be helpful if anyone who has received items or packaging that has been damaged due to being shipped in one of these bags could email me directly with your order number, so we can look at this. If you have pictures even better.

Finally, the option of an 'exception pick' is always available - where your order is pulled from the automated packing process and packed as requested. However, I appreciate that this is not always convenient or possible for customers who prefer to only use online ordering.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this caused, and I look forward to hearing from you.
11-01-2015, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #178
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Helen, thank you for taking the time to bring this to the attention of the shipping department! As consumers, we worry about getting our orders shipping in sturdy, protected packaging. It's nice that we can return a damaged product; but then we are again waiting for the product we wanted, and it's a cost factor to Adorama for returned damaged goods.

Your concern and assistance for the members here that order from Adorama; definitely is appreciated! This is yet another great example of customer service from Adorama!
11-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #179
Adorama Camera Representative

Helen, thank you for taking the time to bring this to the attention of the shipping department! As consumers, we worry about getting our orders shipping in sturdy, protected packaging. It's nice that we can return a damaged product; but then we are again waiting for the product we wanted, and it's a cost factor to Adorama for returned damaged goods.

Your concern and assistance for the members here that order from Adorama; definitely is appreciated! This is yet another great example of customer service from Adorama!
My pleasure!
11-01-2015, 08:39 AM   #180
Forum Member

Price for this bundle is now $749. 😓