Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-3 for $649 w/ free DA 50mm and flash (Black Friday)
Posted By: Adam, 09-17-2015, 01:32 PM

A nice K-3 deal has just gone up at Adorama (free 50mm lens and flash + K-3 for $649.00):

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530

While the deal surely won't last, it's nice to finally get a break from the stubborn price tag of $749 at US authorized dealers.

Views: 30,036
11-10-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #196
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
Seems like a pretty good deal, but concerned about Adorama return policies/reviews, as well as how much use would get out of the flash, which does not seem that great, right?

Decisions, decisions.
I don't know why there would be any concerns about Adorama's return policies. Adorama is a great company to work with, check out their return policy online. There is also a representative from Adorama that is on the forums to assist with any problems.

As far as the flash, I rarely use one, but for the price of a K3, 50 F1.8 lens AND a flash for $649; I don't see how you could lose! I'm thrilled I took advantage of this great deal!

11-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #197
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I don't know why there would be any concerns about Adorama's return policies. Adorama is a great company to work with, check out their return policy online. There is also a representative from Adorama that is on the forums to assist with any problems.

As far as the flash, I rarely use one, but for the price of a K3, 50 F1.8 lens AND a flash for $649; I don't see how you could lose! I'm thrilled I took advantage of this great deal!
Well, they are not Amazon or Nordstroms.

A few things I am hesitant about.

1. The numerous issues with poor packaging. The amount of lenses here in this thread sent by regular mail that got crumbled. Heck.... "Adorama shipping issues" is one of the google suggestions in search.

2. Overall mediocre ratings online. Top 108 Complaints and Reviews about Adorama Camera , Adorama - 67 Photos - Photography Stores & Services - Flatiron - New York, NY - Reviews - Yelp ,
11-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #198
Site Supporter

You can easily sell the flash for $40 & the lens for $80.
11-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #199
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You can easily sell the flash for $40 & the lens for $80.
Thanks. That can be a way to go.

Will ask my local camera shop if they can price match that deal.

11-10-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #200
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. The numerous issues with poor packaging. The amount of lenses here in this thread sent by regular mail that got crumbled. Heck.... "Adorama shipping issues" is one of the google suggestions in search.

2. Overall mediocre ratings online. Top 108 Complaints and Reviews about Adorama Camera , Adorama - 67 Photos - Photography Stores & Services - Flatiron - New York, NY - Reviews - Yelp ,
The packaging issue was addressed by the Adorama representative, that's a member here. However, this offer on the K3 is shipped via UPS, and arrived in great condition. Also, if I would receive a damaged package from anyone, I would take pictures of it before opening it, and then of the mdse. inside.

[ The amount of lenses here in this thread sent by regular mail that got crumbled. Heck...]

This is very misleading!!! I haven't seen where any lenses here in this thread got crumbled!! One mentioned that theirs was shipped in bubblewrap; but the lens was fine! My backordered lens is being shipped UPS 3 day, just like the original order was.

I frankly don't care about ratings, rather how I personally am treated; and with Adorama, that treatment has been exceptional.

Last edited by csa; 11-10-2015 at 03:43 PM.
11-10-2015, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right, they're not Amazon, which has only a One Star rating at the website. Adorama has double the stars!

And Amazon has ever more complaints! Top 1,354 Complaints and Reviews about Amazon.com

Nordstrom, by the way, has the same number of stars as Adorama, so I guess that means Adorama is every bit as good as Nordstroms. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/nordstrom_com.html

Seriously, you can't take that website seriously, or are you? I've been perfectly satisfied with every purchase I've made from Adorama.

Edit: I've just looked at that For Profit website's reviews of all camera stores. None of them score well. You know what that is a function of? People with a complaint look for a place to complain. Happy customers just go on about their business. Why are they going to waste their lives going to search for a website to complain? In the survey/ratings business, this is called "self-selecting reporting" and is highly unreliable as a true measure. Just look at what I've shown above: Nordstroms is rated just as High (which is low) as Adorama. Can you rationalize that? Think that is "real"? No, it's not.

And here, we have Helen who is perfectly happy to make PUBLIC communications with members about their orders and shipments. I mean, how much better does it get than that? Have you tried communicating with Amazon about a problem? They'll often pass the buck and engage in a lot of dodging regarding the sellers found on their site. They used to be more reliable and responsible when Amazon actually sold everything, but now it is just as flaky as resellers and other sites like ebay.

I don't work for Adorama. I'm just a happy customer. And as a person whose father had a small business that relied on good will and reputation, flaky irresponsible gossip that damages someone's business is something I've always had a hard time putting up with. Nothing personal. It just touched a nerve, that's all.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 11-10-2015 at 03:58 PM.
11-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #202
mee
Veteran Member

Seems like a pretty good deal, but concerned about Adorama return policies/reviews, as well as how much use would get out of the flash, which does not seem that great, right?

Decisions, decisions.
From the looks of it... it is a weak flash with no rotational abilities. Essentially, it is a giant, external popup flash. I'd sell it if I bought this package just to recoup some of the final sale cost.

At this point, I'm not sure the deals get any better.. but I'm still holding out for Black Friday to see if it gets any better. Only 2 weeks and 2 days to go!

11-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #203
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
You're right, they're not Amazon, which has only a One Star rating at the website. Adorama has double the stars!

And Amazon has ever more complaints! Top 1,354 Complaints and Reviews about Amazon.com

Nordstrom, by the way, has the same number of stars as Adorama, so I guess that means Adorama is every bit as good as Nordstroms. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/nordstrom_com.html

Seriously, you can't take that website seriously, or are you? I've been perfectly satisfied with every purchase I've made from Adorama.

Edit: I've just looked at that For Profit website's reviews of all camera stores. None of them score well. You know what that is a function of? People with a complaint look for a place to complain. Happy customers just go on about their business. Why are they going to waste their lives going to search for a website to complain? In the survey/ratings business, this is called "self-selecting reporting" and is highly unreliable as a true measure. Just look at what I've shown above: Nordstroms is rated just as High (which is low) as Adorama. Can you rationalize that? Think that is "real"? No, it's not.

And here, we have Helen who is perfectly happy to make PUBLIC communications with members about their orders and shipments. I mean, how much better does it get than that? Have you tried communicating with Amazon about a problem? They'll often pass the buck and engage in a lot of dodging regarding the sellers found on their site. They used to be more reliable and responsible when Amazon actually sold everything, but now it is just as flaky as resellers and other sites like ebay.

I don't work for Adorama. I'm just a happy customer. And as a person whose father had a small business that relied on good will and reputation, flaky irresponsible gossip that damages someone's business is something I've always had a hard time putting up with. Nothing personal. It just touched a nerve, that's all.
You are right, Amazon has more complaints, but how many millions of packages did they send out? =)

Nordstroms, Amazon, any time I have had an issue, it was resolved immediately, at the very least, can be returned to the store no questions asked.

Perhaps I am jaded from the "NY camera" stores of the past where returns were repackaged and resold as new, and you are made to jump through hoops or have to explain yourself.

It is great that Helen is here, to clean up problems after they happen, I wish they just did not happen in the first place. Some of the screw ups are pretty major though.

For the poster who says that he does not get people complaining.... understand it. That is what millenials do. We will share our bad experiences in order for others to learn about it. Heck, that is in part what this forum exists for.

On the packaging issues... it seems to be a recurring trend. and yes, while here no lens was damaged... it was because of good packaging by Pentax... not packing by Adorama.

I did order a few items from Adorama as a "test order." will see how it is and go from there. I did fwd it to my local camera store, to see if they can match it, if so, would rather give the local store the business, particularly after they sold me some used lenses quite cheap.
11-10-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #204
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are right, Amazon has more complaints, but how many millions of packages did they send out? =)

Nordstroms, Amazon, any time I have had an issue, it was resolved immediately, at the very least, can be returned to the store no questions asked.

Perhaps I am jaded from the "NY camera" stores of the past where returns were repackaged and resold as new, and you are made to jump through hoops or have to explain yourself.

It is great that Helen is here, to clean up problems after they happen, I wish they just did not happen in the first place. Some of the screw ups are pretty major though.

For the poster who says that he does not get people complaining.... understand it. That is what millenials do. We will share our bad experiences in order for others to learn about it. Heck, that is in part what this forum exists for.

On the packaging issues... it seems to be a recurring trend. and yes, while here no lens was damaged... it was because of good packaging by Pentax... not packing by Adorama.

I did order a few items from Adorama as a "test order." will see how it is and go from there. I did fwd it to my local camera store, to see if they can match it, if so, would rather give the local store the business, particularly after they sold me some used lenses quite cheap.

You appear to have a major gripe with Adorama without having any 'real' experience to base your opinion. What's your true motive?

PF join date 11-05-15 makes me suspicious.
11-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #205
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

while here no lens was damaged... it was because of good packaging by Pentax... not packing by Adorama.
And you know this, how?

Frankly, if someone orders something & has a problem & brings it here, fine; but for someone that evidentally has not ordered from Adorama (until the "test" order just placed), and runs down a business that gives us great service & prices, certainly seems a little unfair, and even trolling.
11-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #206
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
From the looks of it... it is a weak flash with no rotational abilities. Essentially, it is a giant, external popup flash. I'd sell it if I bought this package just to recoup some of the final sale cost.

At this point, I'm not sure the deals get any better.. but I'm still holding out for Black Friday to see if it gets any better. Only 2 weeks and 2 days to go!
It essentially is. I just picked up two of them off ebay, which is how I know what they're selling for. (One for myself and one for my daughter.) I bought them because they are very small, but have more light than the popup. Granted, they'll not get a lot of use, but they're available for use should we need it for something. Mine is in the very small Lowepro Format 120 bag. What's in the bag? K-01 with F35-70 attached, AF200FG and 40XS. Easy, small grab and go bag with solid lenses and extra light available if needed. Perfect for torturing cats and babies!
11-10-2015, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #207
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
You appear to have a major gripe with Adorama without having any 'real' experience to base your opinion. What's your true motive?

PF join date 11-05-15 makes me suspicious.
I don't have a grip with Adorama, I have suspicions. Yes, I joined after lurking for a while, but you might as well look at my posts before being suspicious about my intentions. I am insulted by your quick to judge attitude.

Furthermore, if you bothered reading, I stated I placed a test order for a few items from Adorama to test it myself before deciding if I want to spend camera money there, over spending a few more bucks and buying local or on Amazon, where if I have issues, I know from personal experience, the situation would be resolved.

yes... I even used the forum's affiliate link for the order.

---------- Post added 11-10-15 at 05:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
It essentially is. I just picked up two of them off ebay, which is how I know what they're selling for. (One for myself and one for my daughter.) I bought them because they are very small, but have more light than the popup. Granted, they'll not get a lot of use, but they're available for use should we need it for something. Mine is in the very small Lowepro Format 120 bag. What's in the bag? K-01 with F35-70 attached, AF200FG and 40XS. Easy, small grab and go bag with solid lenses and extra light available if needed. Perfect for torturing cats and babies!
Thanks for the feedback on the flash. =)

---------- Post added 11-10-15 at 05:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
And you know this, how?

Frankly, if someone orders something & has a problem & brings it here, fine; but for someone that evidentally has not ordered from Adorama (until the "test" order just placed), and runs down a business that gives us great service & prices, certainly seems a little unfair, and even trolling.
Well....

Pentax packages the lens. The business then packages your lens package and anything else and ships it.

If the item comes to me, and the package is damaged, it is more likely than not quite poor packaging on behalf of the shipper, and that worries me. We all know how packages get manhandled by UPS, Fedex and USPS. ( I even have clients who work at UPS and USPS who tell me so).

Cameras and other digital equipment are precise pieces of equipment, and I would expect care when they are handled. To compare to two other industries I am involved with, firearms and precious metals.

When you order optics, from say Optics Planet, or coins from Apmex, they are shipped by USPS or UPS.... and even for a cheap $25 order, the packaging is top notch, almost bullet proof. and the parts you order there are a lot less susceptible to damage.

Yes, I am new here, yes, I have not ordered from Adorama until yesterday.... however I am appalled that so many people here are quick to jump down my throat that I am somehow trying to bring down a business. I am not making up my concerns, I am quoting other people's experiences, all of whom had very real issues, on numerous sites.

I came here rather to ask for people's advice in order to make up my mind if saving a few dollars is worth the potential hassle of...

1. dealing with the process to return or replace something in case of damaged items during shipment, or wrong items sent (seems this is a common complaint from yelp).
2. If I will have issues if I just decide I do not like the camera or what not and want to return it (fees involved, etc.) Since they have a warehouse or return center in NJ, I would be paying taxes as well, so it evens the playing field vs local shops or direct from amazon,

Thanks for the warm welcome.
11-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a grip with Adorama, I have suspicions. Yes, I joined after lurking for a while, but you might as well look at my posts before being suspicious about my intentions. I am insulted by your quick to judge attitude.

Furthermore, if you bothered reading, I stated I placed a test order for a few items from Adorama to test it myself before deciding if I want to spend camera money there, over spending a few more bucks and buying local or on Amazon, where if I have issues, I know from personal experience, the situation would be resolved.

yes... I even used the forum's affiliate link for the order.

---------- Post added 11-10-15 at 05:33 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback on the flash. =)

Hey now, who has a quick to judge attitude based on what they read on the web? Oh, that's right! Everything you read on the web is 100% correct.
11-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #209
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Hey now, who has a quick to judge attitude based on what they read on the web? Oh, that's right! Everything you read on the web is 100% correct.
You are absolutely right. Not everything is right, and there are always three sides, one from each party and the truth.

Just read the reviews and you get a sense of things. I also know when complaints sound similar, more than likely, they are true.

No one is saying they bait and switch, etc.... merely do a mediocre job of packaging and seemingly have operational issues with shipments.

Adorama - 67 Photos - Photography Stores & Services - Flatiron - New York, NY - Reviews - Yelp

If the negatives were not true... I am sure someone from Adorama would just respond in those yelp reviews and state that the people are wrong and are lying.

A site like yelp, fosters both good and bad reviews. What you will find, is that with the younger generation, there is a lot more propensity to giving back and living online... I do not post hundreds of reviews on trip advisor to complain, I write them because I feel part of the community and want to share my experience. A good business will have the benefit if they address and respond to any issues.

I appreciate that you had a good experience and do take it into account, I am also not going to be a fool and ignore all of the issues that are posted online either. That is the perk of having to spend your own money.

If the item was cheap, under $300, I would not even worry about the bad reviews because pretty much everything goes on one of the Amex cards. If there are issues, between the myriad of amex protections, and the vendor, any issue would be resolved. Unfortunately, since this is quite a bit above that limit... many of the Amex protections would not apply and I would have to deal with the vendor.

Like I said before, I really appreciate that there is a rep here from Adorama who seemingly does a great job addressing things AFTER an issue comes up. The question is... should those issues have been avoided in the first place? The price difference between their sale price and a price from Amazon is what I was asking advice on, if we can get back to that.... unless we are not done calling me a troll and a person who wants to bring down a supporting business because I bothered to do a google search and put credence into what people outside of this site have said?

---------- Post added 11-10-15 at 06:14 PM ----------

Mods, i'm sorry, cannot edit original message, just wanted to add a link to Google + reviews.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=adorama&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8...91921598649717
11-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #210
Veteran Member

All I can add to this discussion is that I do business with a lot of outfits, including B&H, Samy's, Amazon, etc. But, for some reason, I have purchased almost all of my Pentax gear from Adorama. This goes back to my K200D kit (with DA* 16-50 and 50-135) that I bought in their brick-and-mortar store in 2008. I bought my K-5 there as well in 2012. Almost all of my other Pentax bodies and lenses I have ordered from Adorama's website. I don't know why - it could simply be a matter of timing and their sales. But I've never had a problem.