Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Costco is down to $499 for the two lens + bag K-S2
Posted By: Jamey777, 09-30-2015, 06:16 AM

Pentax K-S2 Weatherproof DSLR Camera 2 WR Lens Bundle

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 09:20 AM ----------

I had to pull the trigger on the black one. Was about to spend $40 for a bag anyway...
Views: 8,836
10-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I just got mine. I have been shooting a K-01 and film (MZ-S, MX) for the last 3 years and I have to say its actually larger than I thought :-) Before that it was a K-10d.

FWIW, mine came with these exact lenses:

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have to say that the build quality on F series and even the older 18-55 seems better than these lenses. Kind of surprised there were no lens hoods included.

At the price I guess I won't complain. I bought it for the bag :-)

Last edited by Jamey777; 10-02-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: more info
10-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #32
Forum Member

I am thinking to get the Costco K-S2, however have a question to a K-S2 user (you are the one :-):
Imaging Recourse stated (in Exposure, Low Light section), that K-S2 has a problem focusing in low light 1/4 cd. They rated Pentax K-30 as 1/16 cd.
Is it really so in your experience and in opinion?
Leo
10-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nucleon Quote
I am thinking to get the Costco K-S2, however have a question to a K-S2 user (you are the one :-):
Imaging Recourse stated (in Exposure, Low Light section), that K-S2 has a problem focusing in low light 1/4 cd. They rated Pentax K-30 as 1/16 cd.
Leo
There is a very detailed in depth review here. They gave the KS-2 high marks for low light focusing. The reviews here are done by people who actually know how to use the camera.
Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Worthy of consideration, but I don't need the lenses. Thinking about sending my NEX-6 to a new home if this is a better camera. PM me if you're interested in splitting the cost for the lenses.
I've had one person PM me with interest in the short zoom, now I need someone interested in the long zoom.

10-03-2015, 05:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The kit lens is crazy fast to focus and super quiet.

My only comparison is FA limiteds (old style focus and a but noisy) on a K-10 and K-01. It focuses faster than my prior cameras.

Also the ISO 3200 is totally good and the grain looks film like, so I love it for low light.

Leo
10-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #36
Forum Member

Leo
Thank you.
Also, I have found that LR correctly states -3EV and in one place, which confused me has typo.
Leo
10-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Is the white one white/grey or white/black?

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 12:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
So I just got mine. I have been shooting a K-01 and film (MZ-S, MX) for the last 3 years and I have to say its actually larger than I thought :-) Before that it was a K-10d.

FWIW, mine came with these exact lenses:

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have to say that the build quality on F series and even the older 18-55 seems better than these lenses. Kind of surprised there were no lens hoods included.

At the price I guess I won't complain. I bought it for the bag :-)
Did you purchase the white one?

10-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no black sorry
10-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Also the ISO 3200 is totally good and the grain looks film like, so I love it for low light.
One can try to be really hardcore film-camera-like by fliping the LCD to the inside
10-10-2015, 02:48 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Is the white one white/grey or white/black?

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 12:00 PM ----------

Did you purchase the white one?
It's the white and black one -- the 'Racing Stripe' model. It's a shiny, pearly white, as opposed to the white and grey model which isn't nearly as shiny.
11-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Must... resist... I have 2 cameras, plus my daughter uses my K-x. And she doesn't use it enough to justify "upgrading her camera". *cough,cough*
11-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
I bought and returned it (2 of them actually). Loved the K-S2 - lighter than the K-3 and easy top operate. The 18-55 lens was nice (though I misunderstood WR, hence the return ) but I was not as impressed with the larger zoom clarity ( have a couple limited primes, so I have set my bar high). But it was a nice camera to work with - just not pocketable. Ended up picking up a Panasonic Lumix m4/3 format - definitely a smaller camera "snappy" that fits in a pocket. This Costco package is a good deal if it fits with how you expect to use the camera.
11-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinG Quote
I bought and returned it (2 of them actually). Loved the K-S2 - lighter than the K-3 and easy top operate. The 18-55 lens was nice (though I misunderstood WR, hence the return ) but I was not as impressed with the larger zoom clarity ( have a couple limited primes, so I have set my bar high). But it was a nice camera to work with - just not pocketable. Ended up picking up a Panasonic Lumix m4/3 format - definitely a smaller camera "snappy" that fits in a pocket. This Costco package is a good deal if it fits with how you expect to use the camera.
What did you misunderstand about "WR"?
11-11-2015, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone -- a K-S2 owner & CostCo member -- needs to go there and explain "Lien's" review. The noise he hears ("something loose inside") is the in-camera shake reduction system. It's common to hear a slight noise like there is something loose inside... I know the last reviewer mentioned that, but having more emphasize that the 1 rating is totally based on a misunderstanding about the camera -- it isn't a cheap P&S -- and not based on a common/constant defect.

anyway... reviewers who don't know what the heck they're talking about....

11-12-2015, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Someone -- a K-S2 owner & CostCo member -- needs to go there and explain "Lien's" review. The noise he hears ("something loose inside") is the in-camera shake reduction system. It's common to hear a slight noise like there is something loose inside... I know the last reviewer mentioned that, but having more emphasize that the 1 rating is totally based on a misunderstanding about the camera -- it isn't a cheap P&S -- and not based on a common/constant defect.

anyway... reviewers who don't know what the heck they're talking about....

This is why most public reviews of any kind with any kind of product don't mean much to me. Most people really don't know what they're talking about and a good number of them are apparently quite simple.