Just picked one up!

Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens 21910 B&H Photo

Views: 3,773
10-08-2015, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #31
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by naldopr Quote
Love those 3 reasons lol well my wife don't know I order this yet so lol
I would recommend being honest with her.

The 105mm Macro was my second lens (second to the kit 18-55mm that came with the camera)... shardulum is right -- Once you see how sharp f/2.8 is with the razor dof you will be bummed at other lenses.

That said you will probably thoroughly enjoy this lens. but as shardulm also mentioned, this is a long lens for general portraits.. this is more a chest up or strictly headshot style lens unless you have a ton of room.. at least on APS-C where this is equivalent to 150mm on FF to get the same view... that is mid telephoto range!

If you use it as a true macro lens, you won't use autofocus. extend the lens to 1:1 ratio macro and then rock the camera+lens back and forth until you hit the razor thin line of focus. An aperture of f/8 to f/16 is strongly advised for macro work. Thus, a camera flash is strongly advised too. That is another purchase.. it never ends.

10-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote

The 105mm Macro was my second lens (second to the kit 18-55mm that came with the camera)... shardulum is right -- Once you see how sharp f/2.8 is with the razor dof you will be bummed at other lenses.

That said you will probably thoroughly enjoy this lens. but as shardulm also mentioned, this is a long lens for general portraits.. this is more a chest up or strictly headshot style lens unless you have a ton of room.. at least on APS-C where this is equivalent to 150mm on FF to get the same view... that is mid telephoto range!

If you use it as a true macro lens, you won't use autofocus. extend the lens to 1:1 ratio macro and then rock the camera+lens back and forth until you hit the razor thin line of focus. An aperture of f/8 to f/16 is strongly advised for macro work. Thus, a camera flash is strongly advised too. That is another purchase.. it never ends.
Thanks buddy I took note on that and on the flash I'm considering the Venus twin flash kx800 but until then I will use the one I'm getting. by the way I know is not the greatest flash but any advice will be appreciated
10-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #33
mee
Site Supporter

The Venus would be fantastic.. or a ring flash.

That said, I have neither as I use one of my regular camera flashes (usually a Metz 50 AF-1) and a pringles tube with the end cut at a 45 degree angle and some wax paper on the end (held by rubberbands) to diffuse the light. It works surprisingly well even if it looks awkward (I spray painted mine black).

But if you have the money for one of this fancy Venus style octopus arm flashes.. go for it!!
10-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

And don't forget the tripod! movement is magnified in macro. And enjoy the K3 too!

10-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Believe me this is not a good starter lens... for 3 reasons
1. It is very sharp and you will not appreciate other lenses once you get used to the clean sharp shots from this one especially with AA filter less bodies.
2. DOF is unforgiving on this one or any 100or 100+mm for that matter. (Focus hunts but that is to be expected for a 100mm 2.8 macro because of the fact that it can focus from (minimum focusing distance) to infinity which is quite a distance (given the DOF can be in millimeter).
3. Focal length can be frustrating for indoor portrait photography unless you are taking shoulder shots or macros. A full length portrait is almost impossible in most situations unless you are shooting in a mansion with enough room to scoot back.

This combo is so good that you may endanger your married life if you have one.
#2 is a serious one. It makes portraits hard. If your subject wobbles a few millimeters and you wobble a few millimeters then it's very possible you'll miss that critical focus on the subject's eyes. You may get a nose or ear in perfect focus and everything else will be soft. The DoF is extremely narrow on a long focal length lens like this. Be sure to take a couple of shots. Sometimes I force the camera to refocus.

However, if you do manage to get perfect focus... Oh! Oh! The detail will blow you away! I would say this lens is great for taking pictures of kids with very young smooth skin. How about that?

#3 isn't too bad. This is to be expected from such a long lens. The effect is a little muted when shooting on film. Consider working outdoors. Plenty of space!
10-09-2015, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

Love those 3 reasons lol well my wife don't know I order this yet so lol
Cheers...! And your wife will know when she sees your new wife.
10-09-2015, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

If they lower the price on the k3 I buy it
Didn't they do that already? You can get the camera, a 50mm, a flash, AND the DFA 100 macro WR for less than 1100$.
10-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
First, it was not fun, and secondly, the front of the lens was almost constantly wet or fogged. Can anyone tell me what's the big deal about WR.
I've owned this lens for a number of years, and it sees a lot of use ( almost daily in the summer ). I've used my 100 DFA so much, the lens hood coupling is almost worn out ( from reversing the lens hood for storage ).

I generally don't shoot in the rain, but getting caught in the rain when I'm out in the field is not out of the question. It's always good to know
that my lens/body are safe. A little bit of mist doesn't phase me, but if it's a downpour, I'll put the camera/lens in my bag. I also walk through dense vegetation from time to time.
The vegetation isn't always dry. Even if it is, there's dust, twigs and pollen. Again, it's nice to know that none of that stuff is likely to get inside my body/lens.

Sometimes I'm in dry and dusty environments. You get the picture.

I sometimes jump ditches/streams. I'm not always successful at it. I've also gone into bogs up to my waist. During all these misadventures, a certain amount of water ended up on my camera/lens, even though the sun
was shining.

So WR is a huge consideration for me. But it's definitely a case of YMMV. My dream is to have a 100% WR kit. Starting to wish I had held out for the 16-85...

10-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #39
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I've owned this lens for a number of years, and it sees a lot of use ( almost daily in the summer ). I've used my 100 DFA so much, the lens hood coupling is almost worn out ( from reversing the lens hood for storage ).

I generally don't shoot in the rain, but getting caught in the rain when I'm out in the field is not out of the question. It's always good to know
that my lens/body are safe. A little bit of mist doesn't phase me, but if it's a downpour, I'll put the camera/lens in my bag. I also walk through dense vegetation from time to time.
The vegetation isn't always dry. Even if it is, there's dust, twigs and pollen. Again, it's nice to know that none of that stuff is likely to get inside my body/lens.

Sometimes I'm in dry and dusty environments. You get the picture.

I sometimes jump ditches/streams. I'm not always successful at it. I've also gone into bogs up to my waist. During all these misadventures, a certain amount of water ended up on my camera/lens, even though the sun
was shining.

So WR is a huge consideration for me. But it's definitely a case of YMMV. My dream is to have a 100% WR kit. Starting to wish I had held out for the 16-85...
If your case, you may want to look at DA* and AW marked lenses.. those supposedly have even better sealing than WR.
10-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Didn't they do that already? You can get the camera, a 50mm, a flash, AND the DFA 100 macro WR for less than 1100$.
Yes and here is 😅😅😅

---------- Post added 10-10-15 at 07:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Cheers...! And your wife will know when she sees your new wife.
Well I thought I was going to hear a complain from her but now she want a white k50 😱😱😱😱🙀🙀😅😅😂
10-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #41
mee
Site Supporter

Haha... soon she will be asking to borrow your lenses.. after that they will start to not make it back to you.. eventually she will claim them as her own.. it has begun my friend.
10-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

If your case, you may want to look at DA* and AW marked lenses.. those supposedly have even better sealing than WR.
Alas, I am not made of money, and I usually can't carry a large array of lenses with me in the field. The DFA 100 macro lens is the one that lives on the camera because that's what I'm using most of the time, so I could justify the expense. And I'm very happy with the lens.
10-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Haha... soon she will be asking to borrow your lenses.. after that they will start to not make it back to you.. eventually she will claim them as her own.. it has begun my friend.
Honey, did you see MY macro lens lying around here, I thought I just put it down right there......