Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

MZ-S with FA* 85/1.4 on Shopgoodwill
Posted By: boriscleto, 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM

Currently at $411 with 3 days left

shopgoodwill.com - #25181550 - Pentax MZ-S 35mm SLR w/ 85mm f/1.4 Pentax-FA Lens - 10/31/2015 7:07:00 PM
Views: 3,560
10-29-2015, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
This camera and lens is a crap shoot.

Yesterday I emailed their customer service department some questions on this outfit, so far no answer... Also I called their customer service number twice, they will not answer the phone. Seems to me they might be trying to hide something on this.
Where there is no smoke, there must be a secret fire.

Or they're about as organized as any other Goodwill store. It's an indoor rummage sale. How "professional" do you expect the management to be? Some stores are better than others, but if you want B&H service & quality, you shop at B&H and pay their prices.

10-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

They know nothing about nothing. However, at most locations if you are local to where the item is, you can go to the warehouse and examine the merchandise. I used to do it all the time in Denver. If I lived in Seattle where they seem to have a ton of photo gear going through there, I'd probably be in there every week. Otherwise, the prices are too high for what is indeed a crapshoot if you are unable to check it out yourself...
10-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
its sad someone donated such an item
Why sad?
It is sad because very likely a Pentaxian had passed away... I don't believe any one would donate such a camera and lens to goodwill. I would rather sell it to a camera store and donate the $$, so I know the camera and lens will be in good hands, knowing how to deal with them.
I once stepped into a similar store that sells donated stuff for funding computer for school kids. They just got some camera and lenses donation. >50 lenses in the box, no padding, no any protection. they sell them $50 each, and thought the longer zooms are the best ones. I found a Canon FD 50 1.2. bent filter ring, scratches on the front glass. I am not sure if the condition was there before donation or happened in the store. Lenses in the box were treated like potatoes in food store.
That is sad.

Last edited by grahame; 10-30-2015 at 06:11 AM.
10-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #19

This camera and lens is a crap shoot coque samsung galaxy a8 www.etuicoquesamsung.com

Last edited by maoli167; 11-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.
10-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I bought a Tamron Adaptall 90mm macro from the Hillsboro, OR Goodwill last year. Beautiful lens despite the store providing almost no information about it in the listing. But that was only a $100 gamble. And I could tell from the photos that it came with a PKA Adaptall-2 adapter.
10-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Price this morning, eleven hours out, is $567.00. Obviously more than one person wants this!
10-31-2015, 07:53 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They're rolling the dice on the 85 with the MZ-S as a risk hedge.

10-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Buying from Goodwill, whether local or online, is always going to entail some risk. The same goes for any thrift store. These stores get all sorts of goods and most of the people processing them for sale won't be able to identify the jewels from the junk. You have to have some sort of training or personal experience/understanding to properly sort this out. Also, consider the sheer quantity of stuff that comes through. Even if they had the know-how they may not have the time. Their job is to get the stuff up for sale as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next one. Like any job, I'm sure the place is understaffed slightly and everyone is slightly overworked.

I bought a PZ-1 with a kit lens for $16 + $17 S&H. That sounds like a reasonable gamble to me. So far the camera has been working out but I wonder about the AF. Seems off sometimes. Still, at $33 plus a couple of rolls of film and processing I can say I am being entertained. I'm getting more entertainment out of this than if I spent the same money at a movie theatre.

I don't have $500+ to gamble with so all I can say is God bless this bidders good fortune. If it works out for them then I hope they feel this is money well spent. I don't know how much something like this would go for on eBay or anywhere else. If it doesn't work out then the Goodwill store does offer returns within 3 days. I'm guessing the buyer would be out the shipping fees and some time to repack and go to the post office. Hopefully the buyer has a roll of film ready and waiting for this camera for immediate processing and evaluation.
10-31-2015, 08:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

It baffles me that goodwill prices are often HIGHER than ebay prices, even from good reputable sellers on ebay. But like I said, if you are local you CAN usually go check out the merchandise in person, so not all the bidders are necessarily gambling...
10-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Good luck finding a hood for that puppy.
I found a mint one on eBay years ago from Israel and kept it until I sold mine with my 85 f1.4 - and it that hood was not too expensive.
10-31-2015, 05:59 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, first, thanks for the link. I am not interested in this particular lens but seeing they have a lot of other interesting photo gear.

Second, I am sorry to see someone using this forum to blast Goodwill. We donate to and buy from them locally. I have not misgivings about the organization. Unfortunately one bad thing happens in one place, the news media pushes it out there and on and on it goes...
11-01-2015, 04:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Ended at $804. I hope the buyer isn't disappointed. That's a lot of money to pay for a pig in a poke.
11-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I found a mint one on eBay years ago from Israel and kept it until I sold mine with my 85 f1.4 - and it that hood was not too expensive.
I saw one on eBay earlier this year for nearly $300.
11-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I saw one on eBay earlier this year for nearly $300.
The metal hood???? Lol. I saw plenty at $100 being patient works wonders. I may still have the correct Pentax rubber hood.