Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Samy's Ricoh $100 rebate on S1, K-50 & S2
Posted By: Oakland Rob, 11-01-2015, 01:46 PM

The $200 rebate on the K-3II has already been mentioned here, but I note that my rebate form shows $100 rebates on the cameras listed in the subject line. Sheesh, the K-50 with kit zoom is $249 after the rebate...I'm never gonna be able to sell my used one. The rebate is supposed available at other retailers via Promaster, but I never did find another one that honored the rebate besides Samy's. The offer ends 12/31.
Views: 15,439
11-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #31
a5m
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rish_077 Quote
Looks like the promotion with the flash has ended yesterday. There is $449 price tag then $100 instant promotion and $100 mail-in-rebate that brings out K-50 at about $285 including taxes. I feel it is still a good deal with 18-55 kit lens for a brand new camera. Is there any benefit in getting K-S1 instead of K-50? K-S1 is about $50 cheaper than K-50 after rebate.
This is what I thought initially, but it's actually $349 after the mail in rebate. They increased the price to $449 from $349. Not such a good deal now IMO.

11-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by a5m Quote
This is what I thought initially, but it's actually $349 after the mail in rebate. They increased the price to $449 from $349. Not such a good deal now IMO.
The problem is that on the original page, with the $249 price -they had the sale ending (or I wold assume the terms) good through Dec31. That is not good business practices.

11-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The problem is that on the original page, with the $249 price -they had the sale ending (or I wold assume the terms) good through Dec31. That is not good business practices.

I think the rebate is good until the end of the year; the price for the camera isn't. I was shopping and noticed that just about everyone raised their prices a bit. I was in negotiation with B&H at the time and between emails it shot up. When I asked my correspondent about it (since it was costing him a sale) he said that the next shipment of cameras was more costly to the retailers. And I noted that at the time the included Flucard disappeared. From that evidence I suspect it was a Ricoh price hike over perhaps an introductory wholesale price, not a Samys or retailer thing. But's that's just a semi educated guess, although I am pretty sure about the Dec 31st date applying to only the rebate.
11-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I jumped on the K-S1 deal they had earlier for a straight-up $199 with lens and couldn't be happier. They had some funky shipping setup but I asked them to modify it and they were quickly responsive and everything was handled perfectly. I still can't believe I actually got a DSLR for $200. That's crazy, but, also points out how (wrongly) loathed the K-S1 is/was. I have taken several wonderful photos with it, including a private nude that simply takes my breath away.

Yes it has a quirky interface. Yes it's a damn nice camera. Anyone looking for a K-3 backup, you can't go wrong with this cheap marvel.

11-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
These are great deals. I wish they sold the K-S2 on their site. That's I one I want for cheap.
Costco is selling the K-S2 two-lens kit for $499. You could sell off the lenses and have the body for just over $299. I'm hoping they'll reduce it a few bucks more for Black Friday.

The reason I want the K-S2 over all other Pentax cameras is for the articulating screen. Once you've used one (I have one on my Panasonic FZ-1000) you won't go back. Without getting on my knees, I can shoot 2 inches off the ground, or over a fence or the tallest dude at a concert without climbing up on a ladder.
11-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fotograffiti Quote
Costco is selling the K-S2 two-lens kit for $499. You could sell off the lenses and have the body for just over $299. I'm hoping they'll reduce it a few bucks more for Black Friday.

The reason I want the K-S2 over all other Pentax cameras is for the articulating screen. Once you've used one (I have one on my Panasonic FZ-1000) you won't go back. Without getting on my knees, I can shoot 2 inches off the ground, or over a fence or the tallest dude at a concert without climbing up on a ladder.

That's why I want one. My wife has an autoimmune disease that causes joint problems and she likes macro photography. The articulating screen would help. Also my dad is about to retire and wants to get back into photography (he was a bandwagon 35mm SLR user from the late 70s). He too has restrictions that the articulating screen would help with.
11-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
That's why I want one. My wife has an autoimmune disease that causes joint problems and she likes macro photography. The articulating screen would help. Also my dad is about to retire and wants to get back into photography (he was a bandwagon 35mm SLR user from the late 70s). He too has restrictions that the articulating screen would help with.
I prefer manual focusing whenever possible. However, I don't like getting on my knees and I'm not very tall—thanks to that articulated screen and auto focus, I can shoot from a variety of positions in a few seconds, not just those all to typical standing eye-level shots. Besides, I find the articulated screen great for street photography: just set your hyperfocus and then do a quick frame-up with the screen while carrying the camera at just above waist level. It's lots of fun.

This is the first time in my life I've ever anticipated Black Friday. Can't wait to buy that K-S2, but don't want to buy it and find it a week later for $100 less!

11-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #38

Glad I checked here. I got the K-50 from Samy's about three weeks ago through Amazon. I was torn between this and the Costco K-S2, but just couldn't swing the extra initial cost. The rebate will help reaffirm that I made the right decision.
11-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI, for those interested in the Samy's K-S1 deal: they are currently (Nov. 23) out of stock, but expect more product in 7-10 days.
11-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Well, I posted it on my Facebook feed, Imaging Resource's black Friday deals list & talked about it at Slick Deals in their thread. I'm sure there are other people who shared this deal link in their circles.
11-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone get their rebate back yet? Promaster said mine had been processed, but haven't received anything yet.
11-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #42
Site Supporter

FYI, Costco is currently sold out of K-S2 bundles.
11-27-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
FYI, Costco is currently sold out of K-S2 bundles.
I called Costco and was told that, if they could strike another deal with Pentax (Ricoh), a new ad would appear within 48 hours. If they did not get a new contract, the old ad would disappear. It disappeared. So, it doesn't look good for this amazing deal returning.
11-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-50 is again available for $249 after rebate.
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just received the KS-1 that I picked up as a gift for my father. I noticed that there is a different UPC sticker over the UPC printed on the box. For those that have submitted the rebate, are you just cutting this out and leaving the sticker in place?