Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax SMC Telephoto 1000mm f/8 Lens K mount w/Case
Posted By: ripper2860, 11-12-2015, 06:52 PM

Can't say I've ever seen a Pentax SMC Telephoto 1000mm f/8 Lens. This one was just listed on eBay for $799 -- Buy It Now price!!

?RARE?Pentax SMC Telephoto 1000mm F 8 Lens K Mount w Case ?EXC ? from Japan 215 | eBay
Views: 2,040
11-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
You're not helping! What does one even shoot with such a big lens?
I have one of the Rubinar 1000/10. Since it is a macro, focuses to 4m, I have used it for face shots of speakers from the back of the room, 15m, and also some fruit drying. The other thing you use it for is increasing the muscle bulk of ones shoulders and arms.

11-15-2015, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
also some fruit drying
Well, for that you really want video.
11-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The point of this forum is to get others to buy lenses... right?
I am new here but I think the forum in this venue has a couple different roles, 1) to help people make educated buying decisions based on input from other users and perhaps even avoid buying junk (and there is certainly junk out there) or overpaying for something and 2) to promote the sale of good products that will be useful for the buyer.

I am not saying anything in particular about this particular product, I don't know enough to weigh in on this lens but just saying I have found the info. here to be extremely helpful in buying decisions so far.

My $0.02
11-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
I am new here but I think the forum in this venue has a couple different roles, 1) to help people make educated buying decisions based on input from other users and perhaps even avoid buying junk (and there is certainly junk out there) or overpaying for something and 2) to promote the sale of good products that will be useful for the buyer.

I am not saying anything in particular about this particular product, I don't know enough to weigh in on this lens but just saying I have found the info. here to be extremely helpful in buying decisions so far.

My $0.02
Sorry that was just a joke...

11-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Sorry that was just a joke...
OK, NP I am not always the sharpest tack in the box

Somewhat related, I keep seeing these 500mm f8 lenses for cheap, aka:

500mm F 8 Lens by Bower T Mount with Adapt for Pentax K PK Mount Cameras | eBay

Kind of slow for a 500, but if the optics are not bad it could be usable on a low budget. Wonder if anyone has tried one?
11-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #36
Site Supporter

KCOPET, there is a mirror lens club here that will help you by seeing results from some various mirror lenses. That thread moves rather slowly.
11-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #37
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the 500mm mirorrs are pretty mediocre. The Soviet Russian Tairs, Rubinars and MTOs tend to be better than most, especially if you do the "mirror relaxing" trick on them.
11-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

OK thanks. These are not mirrors, however they are standard lenses. They are around $100 or so and are a "preset" lens with a T mount. I see them banded Bower, Vivitar, and others. They look the same to me, my guess is the same lens just sold under various brands.

I have never been a big fan of mirrors, as you pointed out, mediocre lenses and fixed f stop.