Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

SMC Pentax-DA 40 XS - $92.06 (new)
Posted By: ScooterMaxi Jim, 11-17-2015, 09:01 AM

It seems that a couple of vendors at Amazon are in a little price war. When was the last time a new metal mount Pentax lens dipped below the century mark?

Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens
Views: 2,965
11-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just ordered from Amazon for $92. Thanks a lot folks...for exacerbating LBA around here.

11-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
Just ordered from Amazon for $92. Thanks a lot folks...for exacerbating LBA around here.
Me too. Ordered it last night. Getting it today. Can't wait.

Edit: I just got it. Amazing that delivery time. Can't wait to go out there and start shooting. The size of the lens is insane.

Last edited by nabwong; 11-23-2015 at 10:22 AM.
11-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #33

That's an amazing delivery schedule! Are you next door to a fulfillment center?!

Placed my order today with my Chase card - should come to $82.85 with the cashback. Amazing.
11-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote
That's an amazing delivery schedule! Are you next door to a fulfillment center?!

Placed my order today with my Chase card - should come to $82.85 with the cashback. Amazing.
Stop rubbing it in! I have a Chase card and didn't know about the 10% off deal. Furthermore, the FedEx USPS handoff wasn't in sync so I'll have to wait until tomorrow!

Oh well, small tribulations. Tomorrow will be a better day!

11-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Stop rubbing it in! I have a Chase card and didn't know about the 10% off deal. Furthermore, the FedEx USPS handoff wasn't in sync so I'll have to wait until tomorrow!

Oh well, small tribulations. Tomorrow will be a better day!
Still a heck of a deal!

I don't have Prime so won't be getting the lens until next week some time. Be sure to post some photos and early impressions when yours arrives.
11-24-2015, 04:04 AM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nw_mushroom Quote

Maybe. It was shipped from Bristol PA and I live in philly. Loving the lens. It's so portable. I bought it thinking it was a novelty at best but I've been pleasantly surprised. This is my first prime though. A self portrait.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
11-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As I originally listed and at price posted, the DA40 XS arrived today (shipped from Amazon in Phoenix). The lens came in the proper Pentax/Ricoh box and packing materials, included the standard North American warranty card, lens ID card with the correct serial number listed, folded one-page operating manual, and a sheet indicating that Pentax is a Ricoh company effective 8/2013. Only minor oddities were sku labels at bottom covered with a different sku sticker (apparently for some kind of Amazon inventory control), and the not-unusual lack of proper Amazon outer box packaging - allowing the much-smaller Pentax box to flop around easily (can't blame Electronics Basket for that). Fortunately, the Pentax box itself provides extremely good dampening materials (small lens in bubble bag surrounded by corrugated cardboard). No packing slip (electronic receipt is fine).

Lens is really nicely damped and smooth operating. I would highly recommend always mounting and dismounting with camera set to MF to avoid turning the screw drive mechanism (lens is not a quick shift, of course). So no worries turning the entire(!) barrel including the focus ring which can slip as you turn.
11-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by bushi96 Quote
I second that - they also accepted my $70 offer. Anyone try $65 ?
I tried 65, it was declined.

11-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got the one from eBay for $70 as well. No box but the lens itself is definitely in mint condition. No regrets!
11-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Who says 40mm isn't a good portrait length? For medium dogs, it works well - not that I need to take more photos of my dog. Certainly the lens is less than imposing to dogs (and humans). At 3200, and with the posting size restriction, you don't get a good idea of overall sharpness - which is good. Even if not as sharp in the center as the DA 50, it clearly renders more smoothly and closer to the depth you associate with the Limiteds. I can tell already that there will far less work in getting RAWs looking right with this lens than with the DA 50.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo