Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Macphun Creative Kit $89
Posted By: Oakland Rob, 11-21-2015, 11:38 AM

Macphun is selling their Creative Kit software collection for $89US as a Black Fri promo right now. That includes what used to be called the Pro versions of Tonality, Intensify, Focus, Noiseless, Snapheal, Photo Studion, and some other add-ons like training videos and such. Photo editing software for Mac, edit your pictures and images with Macphun

They're quite good, rivaling Nik stuff IMHO. Mac-only. These versions include plugins for Aperture, Lr and Ps. Their newest app, Aurora HDR, is NOT included.
Views: 1,150
11-21-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The HDR app is the only one that interests me. But I find that the DR of the K-3 at ISO 100 to be just as good as HDR. At least when using something like the HDR merge in Lightroom.
11-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #3

I've been tempted by this suite before, but I already have Nik and didn't know that it would add anything beyond those. At this price, though, I'll go ahead and test out the trial to see for myself. Any one else using this?
11-22-2015, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I have both Nik and Macphun. And at first I thought Macphun's stuff was sort of gimmicky in an iOS-filters kind of way. But it isn't.

The big advantage Macphun has over Nik is layers and layer masking. Nor does Lr have that; you have to go out to Ps to do stuff like that. Nik's Silver efex has some more intelligence built into their zone-type adjustments, but I just think I like using layers more.

I've tried Aurora HDR, and it's nice, and primarily for the interface, since with that you can use layers as well. And you have more tools in one interface than with most HDR applications. But out of the box I can't say it's much better than Lr, and not more than Nik. But that's only because I already have many of the tools in Aurora, which is why they are selling it separately from the Creative Kit I expect.

Also, a big big big advantage of Macphun's plugins is that they can operate on RAW, not just TIFFs or PSDs. And Nik limits you to the latter. That might not matter if you like Adobe's RAW processing, or pre-apply lots of Lr adjustments, but I like to be able to use a RAW as a base for adjustment, especially when doing B&W conversions.

DxO can also do this AND send a RAW back to Lr with DxO adjustments, which is very cool (obviously it's really sending a RAW with parameters for adjustment). And they are having a 50% off sale right now too.

And while I'm mentioning RAW, it's notable that Mylio is the other application that can pass around RAW adjustments, although it's more of an organizer and sharing/synching/DAM application, although it does have editing functions. Edits you make get synched to other RAW images on other devices, kinda like how Apple Photos does, but without the need for cloud storage, with more types of devices, and with the ability to pass along Lr adjustments without having to pass the whole RAW file. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with DNG (it's possible, but not very effective). Works with other RAW, and they're working on it, but not yet.

BTW, I need to check out whether Macphun's stuff can handle pixel shifted images. Kinda doubt it.

11-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had Macphun's Intensify for awhile and have been interested in Tonality; I bought the kit listed above last night... . I'll be playing with it for awhile...
11-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmm now I am tempted. I have been using trial version of nik and Mcphun but I like the fact macphun uses raw.
11-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Looks like if you're on their mailing list you get another $10 off, bringing it down to $79 total. I just got my email with the offer today.

11-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bonobo Quote
Looks like if you're on their mailing list you get another $10 off, bringing it down to $79 total. I just got my email with the offer today.

even better!