Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  
30% off used lenses at KEH
Posted By: willskywalker93, 11-27-2015, 09:16 AM

I'm surprised that no one has posted this yet, but KEH is having a good sale today. 20% off used cameras, 30% off used lenses, and 50% off used accessories. I just scored a like-new BigmOS at 30% off, so I felt like it was a deal worth sharing. They still have an EX condition BigmOS if anyone else wants to join in on the fun

https://www.keh.com/

Use coupon code BLACKFRIDAY. Does not apply items with existing overstock discounts.
Views: 3,310
11-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This is standard practice for any retailer. The dirty secret is that prices before discount price almost always goes up prior to sales like Black Friday or Cyber Mondays. There has been numerous coverage on this both on television and print . Do a search through your favorite search engine.

As far as it having a higher net price Monday vs Friday as the saying goes "If you snooze you lose".
If I didn't bite the bullet at $186, I'm certainly not going to do it at $209. I just don't have that great a LBA to want it that much.. It would be nice to play around with it but I have other lenses to cover the focal length and they're paid for.

11-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Thanks much for the reminder about infinity, forgot all about that! I also have recently acquired one of those lenses.
Glad to help.

My copy is strange. It focuses excellently everywhere but infinity. But, at infinity, my camera body claims it has locked focus with the lens (beep and confirmation in the VF) yet it is miles off. It seems the focus ring can't turn far enough past infinity to actually obtain infinity... as if the ring is miscalibrated. Even manual focusing doesn't resolve it.

Hope yours is a solid working copy!!
11-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
My copy is strange. It focuses excellently everywhere but infinity. But, at infinity, my camera body claims it has locked focus with the lens (beep and confirmation in the VF) yet it is miles off. It seems the focus ring can't turn far enough past infinity to actually obtain infinity... as if the ring is miscalibrated. Even manual focusing doesn't resolve it.
Any luck with CDAF from live view?
12-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Any luck with CDAF from live view?
Nope doesn't even manually focus correctly. It is as if the zoom ring literally cannot turn far enough to get focus, as it gets closer to focus, the more I turn it towards and past infinity. Yet it doesn't seem to have enough reach to obtain focus. At Precision right now. They claim another week and it should be repaired.

12-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, the 16-50 I got has a dead sdm. Guess it's going back!
12-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your 16-50. That lens should have been tested and listed accordingly. There really is no excuse for it. My DA 21 limited came and it looks like it was never used. I have only taken a few test shots so far. So far everything appears fine.
12-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the bag said tested and working, which is why I'm really surprised. Any other tips? I've tried the whole spin the focus ring to unstuck the clutch trick and cleaning the contacts, no luck.

It was listed as bargain, but no defect listed that I saw. Edit: they aren't closed for the week yet, I'll call them back now!

Well, there are no more that grade in stock. Now the question is return, repair or replace with one that requires me shelling out more cash for a higher grade. Or convert to screw drive, defeating the purpose of silent focus. Decisions...

Last edited by willskywalker93; 12-04-2015 at 04:18 PM.
12-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the price was right and the optics are good. I would say convert to screw drive. Many people in the forums have converted theirs and been perfectly happy with them. A dead SDM 16-50 would typically go for around $350 before the recent price drops. The real strength of the 16-50 is it's imaging and weather sealing, definitely not it's focus speed.
12-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True. If I hadn't bought it for a a functioning sdm lens, then I would be happy at that price. Keh offered to do the repair, but it would take 6-8 weeks and I needed it for an event in January, so it would cut it close.
12-04-2015, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

Repair. And make a stink so that they expedite the repair at their expense. They sold you something that was not up to their claim. They should fix it. And in a timely enough fashion for you to have it for what you needed it.

Last edited by dansamy; 12-04-2015 at 05:50 PM.
12-04-2015, 05:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
touche, sir. I will call then back and see if I can get it pushed though in time.

On the bright side, for bargain cosmetic condition, it looked brand new. I'll be sending it in Monday in hopes that they can replace it, otherwise they'll repair it. If they can't replace it, I'll push for the expedited repair.

Last edited by willskywalker93; 12-04-2015 at 05:49 PM.
12-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
touche, sir. I will call then back and see if I can get it pushed though in time.
Have a plan B. I would agree to not let this slide, KEH may get sloppy during busy times but that kind of error is not excusable! Of course, you make decision that works for you....

---------- Post added 12-04-15 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Glad to help.

Hope yours is a solid working copy!!
Seems OK, the SDM is a little slow and hesitant but does lock. Does make it hard to see distant trees on a wide angle at 200% but seems to be in focus but pixelated. I assume I will have to switch to screw drive eventually. Have not heard of your copy's problem from other forum members, hopefully Precision can fix it for sure (hound them a little, they may need the "encouragement" to do their job correctly!!!).
12-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would certainly make them repair it. That lens should not have left like that. It is nice that they offered to repair it. I know a few members have had their lenses repaired by KEH and been happy with the results.
12-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I would certainly make them repair it. That lens should not have left like that. It is nice that they offered to repair it. I know a few members have had their lenses repaired by KEH and been happy with the results.
The excellent results you mentioned are the reason I decided to send it.

Also, goldenarrow my plan b is to use a 35mm prime or a 50 prime if it doesn't come back in time. Not as prime of a situation (pun intended), but it will do on my budget.