Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Silkypix Developer Studio 6 Standard edition - special price at 60%off
Posted By: aleonx3, 12-14-2015, 10:04 PM

Just got this in the mail, a promotion from ISL on Silkypix Developer Studio 6 Standard edition software for RAW development. I use this software for all my photo RAW development processing and find to be quite useful with great results; in fact I prefer this over LR 5.7 since I purchase this earlier in the year. Here is the link,
[Special plan of RAW development for beginners] RAW development at trail price campaign | SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- For beautiful photos.
Views: 1,381
12-15-2015, 04:37 AM   #2

I'm a newbie user. Any advice if I should buy this or photo ninja or dxo or others? I have student discounts too.
12-15-2015, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Silkypix 7 Developer Studio

It should be noted that the site also says that if you purchase this version now they will send you Version 7 when it is released this spring.
12-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just got this in the mail, a promotion from ISL on Silkypix Developer Studio 6 Standard edition software for RAW development. [Special plan of RAW development for beginners] RAW development at trail price campaign | SILKYPIX Developer Studio -- For beautiful photos.
At current rates, around 56USD.

12-15-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
I'm a newbie user. Any advice if I should buy this or photo ninja or dxo or others? I have student discounts too.
IMHO, several things in Silkypix that I find to be quite good and convenient to fix including WB, NR and perspective (or lens) distortion. I also find it easy to fix skin tones even in complex lighting conditions. The discounted price now is pretty much the same (or even lower than) as Adobe LR (which I also have).

I don't have experience with other processing software as you indicated, but compare to LR, I feel that this is better for RAW development. However, I still use LR for other features such as watermarks etc.

---------- Post added 12-15-2015 at 12:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
At current rates, around 56USD.
Thanks... I paid about 98USD earlier in the year... wish I wait until now..

---------- Post added 12-15-2015 at 12:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It should be noted that the site also says that if you purchase this version now they will send you Version 7 when it is released this spring.
Thanks, Mikesul, I wish I waited for this promotion instead of the one earlier in the year.
12-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks for the review. I might get it.
01-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I tried the latest SilkyPix trial and it turned out that it does not support PEF format. Am I missing something?
01-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I tried the latest SilkyPix trial and it turned out that it does not support PEF format. Am I missing something?

Apparently. I am using Ver. 6.1.20 and it works with PEF.

01-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kid Quote
Apparently. I am using Ver. 6.1.20 and it works with PEF.
My bad looks like I installed an old version for trial. It works fine with the newer versions.
01-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My bad looks like I installed an old version for trial. It works fine with the newer versions.
Just curious, how do you find the latest (version 6) of Silkypix full product? There are several things I like about Silkypix (vs Lightroom which I also have). First, the NR feature which is auto applied to RAW during JPEG conversion; I tried that before with version 4, it didn't seem to do that, so I have to apply after JPEG conversion in LR. Second, what I like about it is the ability to choose color scheme (for example, Portrait color-2 as 95% of my photos are involving people). Third, rotation/shift lens effect corrections are more intuitive and easy to apply and especially with a sequence of shots that are similar. Anyway, I am not associated with ISL, I am just a user, so just want to share my thoughts.
01-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Just curious, how do you find the latest (version 6) of Silkypix full product? There are several things I like about Silkypix (vs Lightroom which I also have). First, the NR feature which is auto applied to RAW during JPEG conversion; I tried that before with version 4, it didn't seem to do that, so I have to apply after JPEG conversion in LR. Second, what I like about it is the ability to choose color scheme (for example, Portrait color-2 as 95% of my photos are involving people). Third, rotation/shift lens effect corrections are more intuitive and easy to apply and especially with a sequence of shots that are similar. Anyway, I am not associated with ISL, I am just a user, so just want to share my thoughts.
Well, I did not purchase the full version yet. I just installed the trial. They have various trial versions available for download.

I just received my K3 a week ago and I am waiting to evaluate the bundled software to see if that will cover my requirements. I don't do much PP except cropping, simple exposure compensation and white-balancing! I also use RawTherapee to convert raw images to JPG.The thing I don't like about RawTherapee is that it applies a default processing as soon as you open a RAW. I like to have full control on what should be done for each image or multiple images as a batch.

Another concern is that you need to activate Silkypix and they let you do that only a couple of times. Am I correct? Even though I have a separate PC for image/video editing, I often install some of these programs (light weight ones) on my other machine/laptop as well. So the activation requirements of software can be a problem.
01-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Another concern is that you need to activate Silkypix and they let you do that only a couple of times. Am I correct? Even though I have a separate PC for image/video editing, I often install some of these programs (light weight ones) on my other machine/laptop as well. So the activation requirements of software can be a problem.
Here is my understanding, and I don't think that is a problem at all; the license allows you to install (and hence activate) on two separate machines (PC or Mac) at any given time. Say, I have one desktop and one laptop which I use when I travel. If I upgrade my laptop, I uninstall or deactivate Silkypix from the old laptop (hence free up the 2nd install) before installing the same software on the new laptop. Same goes for my desktop, from the Silkypix server, i am good as long as I have 2 installs with my license at any time.