Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
D FA 100mm WR Macro $350
Posted By: mx23, 12-22-2015, 03:30 PM

Is this a good deal from B&H??

Pentax smc Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens 21910 B&H Photo

Last edited by mx23; 01-10-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Views: 8,282
01-22-2016, 04:21 AM   #61

Photos: Albums
Buy the lens, get the most beautiful portrait of your wife with it, print it large, have a nice aluminium frame on it and have that as a gift for your wife

and both (hopefully) should be happy

01-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
Okay... I have wanted this lens for along time now. But... I just can't buy it right now even at that price. I mean, technically I COULD but I really can't... because of priorities. I promised my wife I wouldn't obsess over it... at least not to her. So I guess I will obsess over it to you guys and gals. Please tell me why I don't want to buy this lens. C'mon, knock some sense into me! Tell me how selfish I am, especially because it's my wife's birthday next week and all I can think about is this lens haha!
I thought I am alone having issues in not getting this lens. I had it placed into purchase in Amazon with 1 day free shipping yesterday but I didn't follow through. It is all coming from LBA guilt.

LBA has plagued me and it is early in 2016 and I have drafted plans to sell bunch of gear to justify this lens. But my plans has not worked out in my favor -- they seldom do. I have posted a mint copy of Tamron 90 for sale in marketplace and there is no interest. And here are first few lens that I am trading in to get the WR lens to calm my LBA guilt.
  • Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 mint -- posted in marketplace and ebay
  • Super-Takumar 105mm f/2.8 -- sale photos done and to be posted
  • Contax G 90mm f/2.8 -- will hurt dearly if I have to sell the Contax
  • Fujinon 75mm f/1.8 C-mount -- a potential lens to sell

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-22-2016 at 11:04 PM.
01-22-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
Buy the lens, get the most beautiful portrait of your wife with it, print it large, have a nice aluminium frame on it and have that as a gift for your wife

and both (hopefully) should be happy
That's not helping! She would flip over me buying the lens before she saw the portrait haha

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I thought I am alone having issues in not getting this lens. I had it placed into purchase in Amazon with 1 day free shipping yesterday but I didn't follow through. It is all coming from LBA guilt.

LBA has plagued me and it is early in 2016 and I have drafted plans to sell bunch of gear to justify this lens. But my plans has not worked out in my flavor -- they seldom do. I have posted a mint copy of Tamron 90 for sale in marketplace and there is no interest. And here are first few lens that I am trading in to get the WR lens to calm my LBA guilt.
  • Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 mint -- posted in marketplace and ebay
  • Super-Takumar 105mm f/2.8 -- sale photos done and to be posted
  • Contax G 90mm f/2.8 -- will hurt dearly if I have to sell the Contax
  • Fujinon 75mm f/1.8 C-mount -- a potential lens to sell

Cheers,
Hin
Everybody has there eye on the same lens you do!
01-22-2016, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Site Supporter

Let me find a reason for not buying this lens! I heard it is noisy while auto focusing. Is it really that bad? Tell me yes!

01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
That's not helping! She would flip over me buying the lens before she saw the portrait haha

---------- Post added 01-22-16 at 10:17 AM ----------

Everybody has there eye on the same lens you do!
I wish I can help you better. As I fell again for the lens trap in buying yet another lens. I placed the order even before I have a chance to let go my existing lens in that focal range -- 90 macro, 105 tele, 90 tele and 75 tele. I have gone to the other side no longer torturing myself over the decision.

I admire at your dedication to your family and the priority of the bigger picture especially when it comes for your family. Come to think of it -- I want to make myself happ(ier) before I can come up a notch for my family. I know it is cliche but life is precious and it is too much to fret over the little things.

Be proud of your decision and stay strong.

Cheers,
Hin
01-22-2016, 10:06 PM - 2 Likes   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Let me find a reason for not buying this lens! I heard it is noisy while auto focusing. Is it really that bad? Tell me yes!
It is indeed somewhat noisy, but the sound is muffled by your tears of joy.
01-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I wish I can help you better. As I fell again for the lens trap in buying yet another lens. I placed the order even before I have a chance to let go my existing lens in that focal range -- 90 macro, 105 tele, 90 tele and 75 tele. I have gone to the other side no longer torturing myself over the decision.

I admire at your dedication to your family and the priority of the bigger picture especially when it comes for your family. Come to think of it -- I want to make myself happ(ier) before I can come up a notch for my family. I know it is cliche but life is precious and it is too much to fret over the little things.

Be proud of your decision and stay strong.

Cheers,
Hin
Atta' boy Hinman! Scratch the itch before it's too late, now you can take all the time in the world to let those other lenses go - you will let them go, wont you?
01-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Yes! It's the worst!

It is also extremely sharp, incredibly small, outstandingly built, and the contrast right out of RAW almost always need no correction. Bokeh is clinically smooth too.

Obviously, macro distance using 100mm is perfect. As a bonus it uses a 49mm filter, just like almost every Pentax lens.

I'm always afraid of tearing my laptop display if I further sharpen the image using Lightroom.

01-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #69
Site Supporter

I am selling a macro lens and then I find this. I must resist temptation!
02-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #70

It's going up again.. 'tis on the rise, 'tis!

Actually, it's better this way, i would no longer ponder upon possessing it
02-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #71
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
It's going up again.. 'tis on the rise, 'tis!

Actually, it's better this way, i would no longer ponder upon possessing it
I was waiting for my bonus cash back from Adorama from K3 purchase, and just a day before I received my cash back this price went up! Oh, well!
02-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #72

I was waiting for my bonus cash back from Adorama from K3 purchase, and just a day before I received my cash back this price went up! Oh, well!
Bummer...

Check out B&H (though there you won't have the cash-back), they have it for 350ish (limited quantity at this $).
02-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Adorama and B&H are changing their price faster than Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-100mm-Macro-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0030GGS3O
02-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #74
Site Supporter

still tempted but I know I do not need it