Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DxO’s 50% off software sale extended until Dec. 31.
Posted By: ripper2860, 12-26-2015, 07:01 PM

DxO’s 50% off software sale extended until Dec. 31. This includes all versions of DxO software including Optics Pro 10, Filmpack 5, and Viewpoint 2.

Powerful RAW Image Correction | DxO OpticsPro | www.dxo.com
Views: 2,396
12-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you use it? Which version do you have? Elite or standard?
12-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I assume you use it? Which version do you have? Elite or standard?
I went for Elite primarily for the PRIME noise reduction engine and ClearView. The Prime NR engine is superior to PS/LR and Topaz Labs DeNoise plug-in and really is very, very good. The Clearview setting does a very nice job of adding a bit more clarity and 'punch' to images without the look of HDR or over-processing. Since it was 50% off and it's never been that deeply discounted, I also went for FilmPack 5 Standard for some Vintage film effects. I already snagged Viewpoint 1 when it was offered for free and it integrates nicely with DxO Optics Pro.

(I think I may have a variation of LBA/GBA -- PABA (Post-processing App Buying Addiction) :-/
12-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I'm debating the purchase. I just got Adobe Creative Cloud so I'm finally starting to look at Lightroom - I wonder if I should add more complexity or hold off... the denoise might be very useful for my LX7 panasonic however.

12-26-2015, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm debating the purchase. I just got Adobe Creative Cloud so I'm finally starting to look at Lightroom - I wonder if I should add more complexity or hold off... the denoise might be very useful for my LX7 panasonic however.
The reason I got it was because of its lack of complexity. I have Adobe CC Photography and use PS more so than LR -- at least until I take a LR class. With DxO I'm able to make most of my adjustments in 2-3 clicks, because they've already done a lot of the work based on their analysis of the camera used and the lens. I just tweak and tune a bit. Just make sure your camera is supported if you wish to use RAW (JPEG from all cameras is supported). My K3, K500 and Sony Alpha a6000 are supported in RAW, but my Q is not. Using a supported lens adds additional improvements, but I frequently use it with a supported camera and unsupported lenses (vintage manual glass) and it does a great job. Check the supported cameras (and lenses) if you are going to use RAW (the Panasonic LX-7 is supported as are the Pentax K5, K7, K-3, K30, K50, K500, etc.). Download the demo and give it a try for the next couple of days to see what you think -- you've got until the 31st. Don't let time get away from you. though -- I've never seen them offer a 50% discount.

Last edited by ripper2860; 12-26-2015 at 11:39 PM.
12-26-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks!
12-27-2015, 06:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have Lightroom 5.7 and DXO Optics Pro Elite version. You can use DXO as a plug-in directly from Lightroom. You can export the file directly back to Lightroom as raw file. Topaz plug-ins only allow you to export back to Lightroom as a Tiff file. Of course you can use DXO completely alone. I do find the Prime noise reduction superior to Lightroom 's noise reduction. It is far easier to use than Topaz Denoise which I have as well.

12-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone have an idea about how the updates work for this software?

For example. is it likely that Optics Pro 10 would receive an update to support the new Pentax FF or would one have to wait for Optics Pro 11? Also, are updates free or discounted if you have purchased the software?
12-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Does anyone have an idea about how the updates work for this software?

For example. is it likely that Optics Pro 10 would receive an update to support the new Pentax FF or would one have to wait for Optics Pro 11? Also, are updates free or discounted if you have purchased the software?
Whenever I use a lens or camera that does not have the supported files, the program automatically downloads them and installs them. Unlike Lightroom DXO uses both the camera and lens profiles together.
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Which One?

I have both Lightroom and Photoshop.

1. Would I need this?

2. Do they have a package of "Buy them All" on Sale?

3. If I don't need them all, which program does anyone think I need?
12-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I have both Lightroom and Photoshop.

1. Would I need this?

2. Do they have a package of "Buy them All" on Sale?

3. If I don't need them all, which program does anyone think I need?
If you have Lightroom and Photoshop they only one I could see you needing is DXO Optics Pro Elite for the Prime Noise reduction. You can use it as a plug-in right out of Lightroom. You can edit the file from Lightroom in DXO Optics and export it back to Lightroom as a DNG file. I do not think the Essentials version would offer you anything you do not already have.
12-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
If you have Lightroom and Photoshop they only one I could see you needing is DXO Optics Pro Elite for the Prime Noise reduction. You can use it as a plug-in right out of Lightroom. You can edit the file from Lightroom in DXO Optics and export it back to Lightroom as a DNG file. I do not think the Essentials version would offer you anything you do not already have.
What about DXO Viewpoint? Is it able to do more than Lightroom/Photoshop - is it more automated?
12-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about DXO Viewpoint? Is it able to do more than Lightroom/Photoshop - is it more automated?
For me it is more intuitive and easier to use.
12-29-2015, 04:58 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is more automated. I have using PS for over 20 years and Lightroom since it came out so I really can say if it is easier to use. I primarily bought mine for the Prime Noise reduction which I find superior to Lightroom. DXO seems to be more auto driven than Lightroom overall.
12-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I think it is more automated. I have using PS for over 20 years and Lightroom since it came out so I really can say if it is easier to use. I primarily bought mine for the Prime Noise reduction which I find superior to Lightroom. DXO seems to be more auto driven than Lightroom overall.
How does Viewpoint automate more than PS/Lightroom? I am a newbie at all of this.