Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
FA*200mm F4.0 Macro
Posted By: oneill, 01-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Noticed this jewel on eBay

Pentax SMCP FA Ed If 200 mm F 4 0 If Ed Lens Perfect Condition A | eBay

I have one but it took 10 years to find it.

Murray
Views: 6,473
01-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,409
QuoteOriginally posted by oneill Quote
But the subject, like Elvis, "Has left the building"
Does that mean we have to stop posting?

01-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,698
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Does that mean we have to stop posting?
One in your collection Dave?
01-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,409
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
One in your collection Dave?
Nope--O'neill's got it now.
02-02-2016, 04:13 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,698
This one is back on eBay
Pentax SMCP FA Ed If 200 mm F 4 0 If Ed Lens Perfect Condition A | eBay

02-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #65
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
And I still cannot afford it. Well maybe I could but that means no FF camera this year. I think I'll go for the camera.
02-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #66
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 885
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And I still cannot afford it. Well maybe I could but that means no FF camera this year. I think I'll go for the camera.
Nikon 750+ sigma 180 f2.8 is better from almost every aspect in term of IQ comparing to k3ii + this lens . Of course if for collection purpose, it is another story. But the value will be risky depending on condition Pentax will never update it...

Last edited by starjedi; 02-03-2016 at 05:15 PM.
02-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
RockvilleBob's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lewes DE USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,698
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Nikon 750+ sigma 180 f2.8 is better from almost every aspect in term of IQ comparing to k3ii + this lens . Of course if for collection purpose, it is another story. But the value will be risky depending on condition Pentax will never update it...
Another Sigma lens that is not available for Pentax - Perhaps with Ricoh getting more traction we could see more Sigma Lenses for Pentax.
02-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #68
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,796
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Nikon 750+ sigma 180 f2.8 is better from almost every aspect in term of IQ comparing to k3ii + this lens
Incorrect, the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 has higher CA at the focal plane - I tested two of them in Nikon F mount on my optics bench last year*. The sigma 180mm f/2.8 at f/5.6 isn't quite in the same ballpark** as the resolution of Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro - the Pentax lens has vastly superior image contrast to the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 and f/3.5 versions. Also in regards to transmission through the focal range from 1:1 to ∞ the FA*200 ED Macro T stop was less affected than the F/2.8 macro, which lost almost four stops of light @ f/2.8 1:1*** - even the older 180mm f/3.5 loses less light at f/3.5 with close focus distances.

Though having said all that the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM is still a good lens:


Nikon D4s - Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM @ f/2.8 ISO100 1/250th


*realistically the 180mm f/2.8 is just a marginally faster version of the older 180mm f/3.5 APO EX - for the most part, CA becomes more pronounced as the lens gets stopped down. Also contrast and resolution characteristics of both lenses is remarkably similar. Though the slower f/3.5 version has higher central peak resolution at f/6.3.
**we are talking a difference of 11lp/mm difference in peak resolution, this was measured at the central 10% of the 24X26mm frame. The sigma lens needs to be stopped down to f/8 to deliver consistent performance across the frame. And by then, diffraction starts to limit peak performance.
***Both the sigma and Pentax lenses transmission was averaged across the frame, FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro only lost 1.87 stops @ 1:1.


Last edited by Digitalis; 02-04-2016 at 01:44 AM.
02-04-2016, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian
Weevil's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Montréal, Québec
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,617
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Incorrect, the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 has higher CA at the focal plane - I tested two of them in Nikon F mount on my optics bench last year*. The sigma 180mm f/2.8 at f/5.6 isn't quite in the same ballpark** as the resolution of Pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro - the Pentax lens has vastly superior image contrast to the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 and f/3.5 versions. Also in regards to transmission through the focal range from 1:1 to ∞ the FA*200 ED Macro T stop was less affected than the F/2.8 macro, which lost almost four stops of light @ f/2.8 1:1*** - even the older 180mm f/3.5 loses less light at f/3.5 with close focus distances.

Though having said all that the Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM is still a good lens:


Nikon D4s - Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX DG OS APO HSM @ f/2.8 ISO100 1/250th


*realistically the 180mm f/2.8 is just a marginally faster version of the older 180mm f/3.5 APO EX - for the most part, CA becomes more pronounced as the lens gets stopped down. Also contrast and resolution characteristics of both lenses is remarkably similar. Though the slower f/3.5 version has higher central peak resolution at f/6.3.
**we are talking a difference of 11lp/mm difference in peak resolution, this was measured at the central 10% of the 24X26mm frame. The sigma lens needs to be stopped down to f/8 to deliver consistent performance across the frame. And by then, diffraction starts to limit peak performance.
***Both the sigma and Pentax lenses transmission was averaged across the frame, FA*200mm f/4 ED Macro only lost 1.87 stops @ 1:1.
Even if I don't understand all this technical stuff, you convinced me I should spend 3.3k$ on that lens... Now let's find the money ! lol!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
coupon, ebay, pentax deals, savings
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens Tournament: DA* 300mm F4 vs FA* 200mm F4 Macro Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 27 10-28-2014 05:24 AM
Lens Tournament: DA* 60-250mm F4 vs FA* 200mm F4 Macro Adam Pentax Forums Giveaways 21 10-24-2014 05:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top