Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
FA*85mm f1.4 and FA*28-70mm f2.8 on Gumtree Australia
Posted By: Des, 01-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Two rarities, seller asking a combined price of $A1,950:
SMC Pentax FA* 85mm f1.4 & SMC Pentax FA* 28-70mm f2.8 | Lenses | Gumtree Australia Melbourne City - Melbourne CBD | 1101523691

Reviews:
SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
SMC Pentax-FA* 28-70mm F2.8 AL Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Views: 1,304
01-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Too good to be true.

This sounds too good to be true. Two of the legendary Pentax lenses for under $1400 US. I checked the sites reviews and it's rated 1.8 stars out of 5 out of 156 reviews. I'd be uncomfortable buying anything from them unless you're located in Australia and can meet the seller face to face.
01-24-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sent several messages to the seller this week, but no answer. My brother will visit Melborne soon in end of Jan., so I want to ask him to meet the seller. But no answer from the seller.
01-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ArkanFoto Quote
I checked the sites reviews and it's rated 1.8 stars out of 5 out of 156 reviews. I'd be uncomfortable buying anything from them unless you're located in Australia and can meet the seller face to face.
I can understand your feeling uncomfortable about an international purchase. Any purchase or sale through private classified ads carries risks. Gumtree is no different. There are scams that affect buyers and scams that affect sellers. Things can go very wrong, and in practice the remedies are limited. Gumtree recommends that all transactions be conducted in person to minimise the risks.

Having said that, I have both bought and sold on Gumtree without issue - often only dealing with the other party by phone. You would probably find the same with CraigsList in the US. It requires common sense, trust and a little luck.

As for the negative reviews on Gumtree Reviews - ProductReview.com.au remember that Gumtree is by far the largest classified ad medium in Australia. There are hundreds of thousands of transactions every year. People who don't have a problem are unlikely to post a review, so the reviews are likely to be unrepresentative.

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasz08 Quote
I sent several messages to the seller this week, but no answer. My brother will visit Melborne soon in end of Jan., so I want to ask him to meet the seller. But no answer from the seller.
Poor form, but the ads shows that the seller has received two offers already so a sale might be imminent.

Last edited by Des; 01-25-2016 at 04:34 PM.
01-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Poor form, but the ads shows that the seller has received two offers already so a sale might be imminent.
I sent 2 offers to the seller.
01-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thomasz08 Quote
I sent 2 offers to the seller.
Good luck with it.
01-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I can understand your feeling uncomfortable about an international purchase. Any purchase or sale through private classified ads carries risks. Gumtree is no different. There are scams that affect buyers and scams that affect sellers. Things can go very wrong, and in practice the remedies are limited. Gumtree recommends that all transactions be conducted in person to minimise the risks.

Having said that, I have both bought and sold on Gumtree without issue - often only dealing with the other party by phone. You would probably find the same with CraigsList in the US. It requires common sense, trust and a little luck.

As for the negative reviews on Gumtree Reviews - ProductReview.com.au remember that Gumtree is by far the largest classified ad medium in Australia. There are hundreds of thousands of transactions every year. If people who don't have a problem are unlikely to post a review, so the reviews are very unrepresentative.
I don't know why you did not address the first part of my comment which was my main point? "Too good to be true."
01-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ArkanFoto Quote
I don't know why you did not address the first part of my comment which was my main point? "Too good to be true."
That's for you to judge. I don't think it is, but I don't know any more about the seller or the offer than you do.

Last edited by Des; 01-25-2016 at 04:32 PM.