Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
B&H offering free shipping to Australia if spending over $149 USD
Posted By: kreuzn, 01-24-2016, 12:27 AM

Just noticed this free shipping offer, which they say is for celebrating Australia Day. Free shipping is always good when you can get it :-)

Promotional landing page:

Australian Savings Day 2016

Name:  1_24_16_austalian_day.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  104.1 KB

Views: 4,728
01-28-2016, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those interested, the Domke bag and Sirui tripod arrived yesterday (they were ordered on Sunday). Two HUGE boxes, free postage!
Incredible considering that New York was shut down in a blizzard over the weekend.

01-28-2016, 11:11 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sirui tripod arrived yesterday
Nice one, what I am interested in is a mini review or opinion on the quality, strength and usability of this tripod, I have read Heie's review, but a second opinion is welcome. I can not get to see one around here, I know they are slim legged but just how flimsy are they or are they quite reasonable for bush walks maybe with a 55-300, stability, leg adjust I think I am wondering about as well as build quality. So if you re up for it I would appreciate your opinion on this tripod. I m considering it for a future purchase.
Cheers.

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-28-2016 at 11:38 PM.
01-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Initial impressions are very positive. I have a DA55-300 which I plan to use daily for a month as my "Single In February" lens. No doubt there will plenty of opportunities to use the Sirui
01-29-2016, 02:39 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok thanks. Please do let me know how that goes with the Sirui.

Also be interesting to hear how the 55-300 goes, I have been thinking of getting one.

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-29-2016 at 02:54 AM.
01-29-2016, 05:16 AM   #35
Veteran Member

amazing delivery time. i ordered on Australia day and arrived today. Three days travel time. Incredible.
01-29-2016, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know, all this warranty bullshit is simply that, from all camera companies. The cameras are the same. It shouldn't matter at ALL where we buy them. Our home address is all that should matter. If I live in Melbourne and buy a camera from B&H, it should have an Australian warranty. This smoke and mirrors game that Pentax and others play is criminal.
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
You know, all this warranty bullshit is simply that, from all camera companies. The cameras are the same. It shouldn't matter at ALL where we buy them. Our home address is all that should matter. If I live in Melbourne and buy a camera from B&H, it should have an Australian warranty. This smoke and mirrors game that Pentax and others play is criminal.
Big difference when you buy from a local distributor - they were the importer, with all the financial and warranty implications.

When you buy from overseas, you're now the importer.

01-30-2016, 03:47 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Big difference when you buy from a local distributor - they were the importer, with all the financial and warranty implications. When you buy from overseas, you're now the importer.
That's true, Clackers, and even if Ricoh had a subsidiary in Australia instead of a local distributor like CRK they would have no legal obligation to provide warranty service for Ricoh products purchased overseas.

But I guess Wolfeye's point is that multinational companies should provide worldwide manufacturer's warranty coverage, not just coverage in the country of purchase. I think more of them used to, and some still do. A couple of years ago Asus Australia repaired a laptop that I had bought from Singapore, under their international warranty. I would buy another Asus product on the strength of that.

Here's what I have discovered in a quick search about other camera companies:
- Sony provides a tourist limited warranty that gives purchasers from an authorised dealer in Australia reasonable coverage on their cameras and lenses when travelling: Sony Tourist Limited Warranty : Tourist Limited Warranty : Sony Australia
- Panasonic offers a limited worldwide warranty on cameras purchased in Australia from an authorised dealer: Support - What is LWWW (Limited World Wide Warranty)? Cameras purchased from the US are not covered by the Limited Worldwide Warranty in Australia: Support - What is LWWW (Limited World Wide Warranty)?
- Nikon provides an international warranty on their lenses (not cameras) bought from an authorised dealer: https://mynikonlife.com.au/buy/warranty-policy/
- Olympus used to provide a worldwide warranty but dropped it in 2014: Olympus Drops Worldwide Warranty Policy for its New Cameras and Accessories - The Phoblographer
- I read somewhere that Canon provides some international coverage on lenses but not cameras, but I couldn't find confirmation on Canon's web site.
- Stories of Fuji offering international warranties on some cameras: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1271106 But again I couldn't find confirmation on the manufacturer's site.

So coverage is limited and patchy. Ricoh could steal a march on the opposition by providing a worldwide manufacturer's warranty on all their products, and cover the cost of repairs or replacement by their agents and distributors. Even if they charged for an extended warranty like this, it would be an attractive option. But the chances of them doing so are near zero.

Last edited by Des; 01-31-2016 at 02:35 PM.
01-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting comparisons, Des!
01-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Incredible considering that New York was shut down in a blizzard over the weekend.
Something even more incredible..... I resisted the temptation to buy anything! Only a potential FF could do that to me.
01-30-2016, 04:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I resisted the temptation to buy anything! Only a potential FF could do that to me.
Me too. Plus I have been able to resist all the '15% off' and rebate specials that have cropped up a lot recently in Australia.
01-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #42

Original Poster
For those interested, the Domke bag and Sirui tripod arrived yesterday (they were ordered on Sunday). Two HUGE boxes, free postage!
I'm still waiting on my lens - it's been in Melbourne since Wednesday. This happened a few weeks ago also when I bought a dock for my watch. It took 2 days to leave the US & arrive in Oz, where it preceded to sit in Melbourne until Oz Post decided to deal with it. Like the lens, the dock was shipped via DHL Express. I called them once I saw it delayed in Melbourne, turns out once it arrives in Oz, oz post then handles the shipping. Cause I'm not in a capital city, Oz Post now takes even longer to deliver. It's a disgrace, especially because in the case of the dock I paid for freight. Gotta love a service that doesn't care about its customers. Any wonder people are turning away from using them
01-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I resisted the temptation to buy anything! Only a potential FF could do that to me.
I'll be buying that bad boy from C.R.Kennedy. Local warranty matters for big ticket items.
01-31-2016, 01:38 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I'll be buying that bad boy from C.R.Kennedy. Local warranty matters for big ticket items.
Me to..... you have 60 days then to claim back $200 of it when you go OS
01-31-2016, 02:49 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beachgardener:

"Nice one, what I am interested in is a mini review or opinion on the quality, strength and usability of this tripod, I have read Heie's review, but a second opinion is welcome. I can not get to see one around here, I know they are slim legged but just how flimsy are they or are they quite reasonable for bush walks maybe with a 55-300, stability, leg adjust I think I am wondering about as well as build quality. So if you re up for it I would appreciate your opinion on this tripod. I m considering it for a future purchase.
Cheers."

I have had one for a couple of years and it's an excellent tripod...not flimsy, but lightweight. I have used it in a range of conditions...beaches, forests, Kakadu, high winds when i hung a bag off the hook for extra stability, and it adjusts easily on uneven ground. Quite compatible with bushwalking.... wouldn't use it as a support for your tent/hammock, though. Comfortably holds my 55-300 or the 50-135 which is heavier. I slipped on snow and grass and ended up in the Thredbo River with camera and tripod - tripod survived unscathed, not so lens, camera OK.

I like it 'cos it's light and fits in my luggage when I am travelling (I head to Qatar tomorrow), and when I am not, it lives under the car's driver's seat. My big solid Manfrotto has stayed at home in the garage since this one arrived. It's a nice bit of kit and competitively priced.

Mine came with a neat carry bag, all tools necessary, and a short centre pole for when doing really low shots. It came from China, and so I was a bit worried about what I might receive - very pleasantly surprised!