Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Pentax K-3 - $629 @ B&H
Posted By: Adam, 02-26-2016, 02:25 PM

Here's a small but welcome price drop on the Pentax K-3!

Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera Body 15530 B&H Photo Video

Views: 2,269
02-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Yeah, and the K-3 II is down to $727. Think it's worth the difference in price? And are both cameras - even late production examples - still susceptible to mirror slap? I might actually do this but my K-5 and K-5 IIs are still in great shape. Worth it if I have no full-frame plans?
02-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Yeah, and the K-3 II is down to $727. Think it's worth the difference in price? And are both cameras - even late production examples - still susceptible to mirror slap? I might actually do this but my K-5 and K-5 IIs are still in great shape. Worth it if I have no full-frame plans?
I'd say it's worth it. I haven't heard any recent reports of the mirror slap issue.

Personally I think the K-3 vs K-3 II decision is a bit more complex, since the K-3 II is a slight upgrade in some ways, but lacks the on-board flash. Plus, the pixel shift system only has situational uses. So I guess it really boils down to whether or not you'll find pixel shifting useful, and if you plan to use the GPS.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think you have to ask yourself, 'what do my current camera bodies not do that the K-3 does which will warrant the upgrade?'

I thought long and hard over it, late last year/early this year, and decided it was smarter just to stick with the K-5 II until either the K-1 comes way down in price or the K-3 II successor comes online (which from the news in the news and rumors section could be at the end of this year). At which point the prices on the K-3 II will come down further.. if that is your cup of tea.

The K-5II has better DR and I don't have issues with AF.. 16MP is still quite acceptable. You have to weigh the pros and cons for your type of photography and what works best for you though.. I can't tell you one way or the other.

02-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I ordered my k3 ii from adorma just four days ago. Luckily they matched this new sale price on B&H
Used it for one hour and I am in love
02-27-2016, 04:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Agree that that k-3 and -3ii models are practically the same camera in different kit out.

One has gps included and does a higher colour mode, but no flash.

The other has a flash but no gps or higher colour pixel shift.

They say the sensor shift is uprated in the k-3ii, but it still doesn't get used in video mode.
02-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I just pulled the trigger on the regular K-3... and I used Adam's link to B&H, of course. I decided I probably wasn't going to need the astrotracer and the GPS unit nearly as often as I'd use the on-board flash for fill purposes. The best part is I just received a B&H gift card worth $50. So I used it and got a brand-new Pentax K-3 for $579. Now that's value.

EDIT: Is it just me or has the price of the two-year warranty extension from Pentax for the K-3 series been raised from the very friendly $20 to over $100? That's the way it looks on the B&H site.

Last edited by Biro; 02-29-2016 at 03:27 PM.
02-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

I just pulled the trigger on the regular K-3... and I used Adam's link to B&H, of course. I decided I probably wasn't going to need the astrotracer and the GPS unit nearly as often as I'd use the on-board flash for fill purposes. The best part is I just received a B&H gift card worth $50. So I used it and got a brand-new Pentax K-3 for $579. Now that's value.

EDIT: Is it just me or has the price of the two-year warranty extension from Pentax for the K-3 series been raised from the very friendly $20 to over $100? That's the way it looks on the B&H site.
The bonus is, if you ever want gps and astotracer functionality, you can always buy it separately (O-GPS1). So you have your popup flash and the ability to gain the missing features.

I'm seeing 110 dollars for a 3 year and 50 for 2 years on both BH and Adorama. I hope this means better support is to follow.

02-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
a5m
Site Supporter

I don't think the $100 one is the same as the one that was under $20. The Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty Part # is 85716.

I had posted about the availability of the cheaper 2 year extended warranty when B&H listed it as Discontinued (link). I thought it was maybe out of stock and that's what other posters said too. Adorama at the time listed it as Backordered but eventually got them in stock. However if you check Adorama now, they've also listed it as Discontinued (link).

I don't know if Pentax is renewing the warranty under a different Part # or what, but if they are, it seems a bit unfair to those who are currently purchasing cameras because they will be not be eligible to get the extended warranty. Or maybe Pentax is getting rid of the warranty altogether because in all honesty, that price was just too good.

If I were you I'd purchase it from Amazon while it's still available. They have it here for $14.24. It's a small amount to risk to be sure you are covered in case Pentax has actually discontinued the extended warranty. Plus Pentax considers Amazon purchases to be authorized so they'll honor the warranty.
02-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Third-party warranties are also a decent alternative, and if you pay for it you can also get drops & spills coverage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Okay, I just spoke with B&H. Because the current MSRP for the K-3 is $799, the $50 two-year warranty extension from Pentax applies. I can deal with that. The $110 two-year extension applies to cameras with MSRPs over $1000.
03-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe it. Is it just here in the Philippines that Nikon is cheaper than Pentax? The D7200 is about $100 cheaper than the k-3II. So is the D7100 vs. the k-3.
03-25-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Ordered yesterday. Very much looking forward to its arrival!