Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Cotton Carrier Green
Posted By: shardulm, 02-27-2016, 11:26 PM

Cotton Carrier Camera Vest with Side Holster 124 RTL-D GREEN B&H

Best price on I have seen in a long time.
Views: 2,739
02-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup; those B&H daily deals are usually EXCELLENT deals.
02-28-2016, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Ordered, and thanks for the alert.

I've been on a quest for a long time for a two-camera carrying rig that works well for me, but the Cotton Carrier system always seemed too expensive. I look forward to trying this out once it arrives.
02-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the tip.120 dollars off a 189 dollar product! I guess I can live with the ugly green as opposed to the usual black color. Guess that's why only the green one is on sale.

I ordered mine. Plus a second adapter. Always wanted one for my hiking trips. Will have my K5 with 12-24 and another K5 with 50-135 on this and the Sony RX 100ii in my pocket. And my hands will be free to use my tripod as a hiking stick with just one leg opened up...

02-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Thanks for the tip.120 dollars off a 189 dollar product! I guess I can live with the ugly green as opposed to the usual black color. Guess that's why only the green one is on sale.

I ordered mine. Plus a second adapter. Always wanted one for my hiking trips. Will have my K5 with 12-24 and another K5 with 50-135 on this and the Sony RX 100ii in my pocket. And my hands will be free to use my tripod as a hiking stick with just one leg opened up...
It is a bit difficult to find truly representative photos or video of the Cotton Carrier vest in 'green' online, it seems. Whether this is simply about poor photo taking and reproduction, or something about this particular color shade as projected from this vest's polypropylene fabric to DSLR sensor-processor, I just don't know. In online pics from Google Images, the color seen ranges from brown to grey! This is not much like the fabric materials with which you're used to associating the shade of 'khaki-green' advertised. My own new CC vest is on its way, I am very happy to say... particularly considering that I have now just acquired the Pentax 67 A 200mm f.4.0 plus Pentax 67 to K-mount adapter, and will be on alert for the 1.1 pound 1.4 teleconverter to complete the package (my new "300mm prime lens")! After much consideration, my own feeling is that the black Cotton Carrier vest, particularly with the rather inelegant second camera mount attached, is just too "swat team" for my taste. I think you might just reconsider the "ugly" judgement, given only the two choices, once you have worn the vest in the context of other well chosen clothing. -- Fred

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Ordered, and thanks for the alert.

I've been on a quest for a long time for a two-camera carrying rig that works well for me, but the Cotton Carrier system always seemed too expensive. I look forward to trying this out once it arrives.
Don't even think of comparing the much cheaper Opteka knockoff, folks, unless you really understand the difference. Andy Cotton's own videos on YouTube are helpful in this regard.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 02-29-2016 at 11:40 AM.
02-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Don't even think of comparing the much cheaper Opteka knockoff, folks, unless you really understand the difference.
I have one from movo (similar to Opteka knockoff). Its a great carrier apparently. But the real difference lies in the interface and that is poorly designed. Getting the camera in and out is not as smooth and the engagement is not very reassuring.
Due to this minor design change (which they had to do probably to avoid a patent lawsuit) makes the mechanism wear out more than it should. It may last you a few days/months and when it gives in you are basically dropping your equipment on the floor when that happens. There are additional securing tabs however (I highly recommend using those) so it may not really get on to the floor but the in and outs are not as clean as the CC. I have borrowed it from a friend who owns it and I could tell the difference there and it is big. It probably may not be worth paying for at $189 but it is there and it is detrimental.
The marked down price was a no brainer (I also saw that it was sold out) though.

---------- Post added 02-29-16 at 03:59 PM ----------

I guess I can live with the ugly green as opposed to the usual black color.
Function vs Form and I can tell you that the Functions wins by miles in this particular case and for that price I almost see that it is black in color.
02-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
for that price I almost see that it is black in color
The green colour is nothing that a little clothing dye won't fix, if need be. ...

But the green CC looks like it will match the colour of a backpack of mine - a green/black Flipside 400. So now I will have an ensemble.

03-01-2016, 11:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Webpage says it's discontinued 😞
03-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by obriendm Quote
Webpage says it's discontinued ��
It was a B&Hs 1 day deal.
03-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
It is a bit difficult to find truly representative photos or video of the Cotton Carrier vest in 'green' online, it seems. Whether this is simply about poor photo taking and reproduction, or something about this particular color shade as projected from this vest's polypropylene fabric to DSLR sensor-processor, I just don't know. In online pics from Google Images, the color seen ranges from brown to grey! This is not much like the fabric materials with which you're used to associating the shade of 'khaki-green' advertised.
Got my Cotton Carrier.
-Green color is not bad, you are right, its not the ugly shade, that is online. Could not capture the exact shade in attached photos either.
-Takes a second person to help fit it correctly the first time.
-Very geeky looking; but I only plan to use it on hiking
-Seems comfortable, will have to wait till next month b4 I get to wear it on an all-day hike to test comfort.
-Planning to use it with my usual 2 camera combo for most of my hikes. K5 plus 50-135 and the other K5 with 12-24.
Some pics:
Attached Images

03-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks good, wish I would have purchased one.
03-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #12
mee
Veteran Member

What does the back look like? I cannot find any photos of it from the back online.
03-07-2016, 06:29 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Got my Cotton Carrier.
-Green color is not bad, you are right, its not the ugly shade, that is online. Could not capture the exact shade in attached photos either.
-Takes a second person to help fit it correctly the first time.
-Very geeky looking; but I only plan to use it on hiking
-Seems comfortable, will have to wait till next month b4 I get to wear it on an all-day hike to test comfort.
-Planning to use it with my usual 2 camera combo for most of my hikes. K5 plus 50-135 and the other K5 with 12-24.
Some pics:

Wow this green is not bad at all. In fact I am thinking I gona like it better than the black.
03-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
What does the back look like? I cannot find any photos of it from the back online.
Back is a breathable mesh.
Image from online below:
Attached Images

03-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too bad I was late, looks great!