Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

K-3 II Jump in Price
Posted By: colonel00, 03-24-2016, 05:27 PM

I've been saving my pennies waiting to pull the trigger on a K-3 II. Prices at both B&H and Adorama have been hovering around $727. I just happened to check both sites and B&H is up to $799 and Adorama is at $896. Yikes!
Views: 6,247
04-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Sorry to hear about this. If the camera was sold to you as "New", you should have no problem whatsoever with the returns process and eBay standing by you. eBay is very geared towards the buyer.
Yeah, that's what I hear but the listing says something about a 15% restocking fee. Hard to stomach paying that when it was their fault.

04-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Have you contacted the seller? I'd still do that first to give then a chance to rectify what could have been an honest mistake. After that, you can then deal with eBay.
04-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phroon Quote
Yeah, that's what I hear but the listing says something about a 15% restocking fee. Hard to stomach paying that when it was their fault.
But if the item was advertised as "New" (I assume it was?), then you are not liable for that re-stocking fee. When you request the return, clearly state that you bought the item in good faith expecting a new camera, but the one supplied had clearly been used and is showing a shutter count of xxxx. Therefore the item is not new, and you respectfully request a full refund with no restocking fee. If the seller only issues a partial refund, ask eBay to step in. I don't think you have anything to worry about, except for the minor hassle in going through the process. Good luck with it
04-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #49
mee
Site Supporter

It is illegal to sell something advertised as NEW when it is really a used item. They could get in trouble for that if you run it up the right avenue.. so it is more in their best interests to make it right with you. To me, this means, at the very least taking the camera back with 0% restocking fee.

That said, the ball is in your court to prove it was used... did you record yourself opening the box? taking the first image? Showing that first image showed the camera already had over 1500 shutter actuations? If not, it could become a game of he said, she said. I'd still press them via eBay customer support.. if you fold like a chair, the company with bad practices wins.

04-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is illegal to sell something advertised as NEW when it is really a used item. They could get in trouble for that if you run it up the right avenue.. so it is more in their best interests to make it right with you. To me, this means, at the very least taking the camera back with 0% restocking fee.

That said, the ball is in your court to prove it was used... did you record yourself opening the box? taking the first image? Showing that first image showed the camera already had over 1500 shutter actuations? If not, it could become a game of he said, she said. I'd still press them via eBay customer support.. if you fold like a chair, the company with bad practices wins.
I was kinda worried when I ordered it that something like this would happen, so I actually did record myself cutting the packing tape, opening it, taking the first shot and uploading the image to the shutter count tool. The image file name was numbered in the thousand range on a brand new SD card (something like 100-12xx.jpg), so it was really obvious even on the video.

I've contacted the seller through eBay so that eBay can see all the communication if they have to step in.

Also, should I split this conversation to a different thread somewhere else?
04-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #51
mee
Site Supporter

I was kinda worried when I ordered it that something like this would happen, so I actually did record myself cutting the packing tape, opening it, taking the first shot and uploading the image to the shutter count tool. The image file name was numbered in the thousand range on a brand new SD card (something like 100-12xx.jpg), so it was really obvious even on the video.

I've contacted the seller through eBay so that eBay can see all the communication if they have to step in.

Also, should I split this conversation to a different thread somewhere else?
EXCELLENT!

If the seller doesn't make it right, lodge a complaint through ebay directly against the seller for that specific order. Mention in the complaint you have video of you opening the box, showing the damage to the packaging, as well as the shutter count with a screenshot of it maybe.

Ebay is very much pro-buyer so I'd keep pressing.. politely.. but still.. please let us know how it goes!

I once ordered an L bracket through ebay from a chinese vendor.. the vendor offered refunds but the gotcha in those is it costs as much as the item to ship it back. IIRC at first the seller didn't even want to help at all (no returns -- strange). I recorded a video of the issues with the L bracket (claimed made for a K-5 II but didn't fit) and ebay refunded me the cost of the item.
04-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
Did you use an external software to read the number of shots taken ?

The numbering of the SD card is not right! The numbering sequence can start higher than 1 even on a just formatted card.
You need to upload your first pic into an EXIF viewer that will shoe the number of actuations of the camera.
Apologies if you already did all this ..
04-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #53
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
Did you use an external software to read the number of shots taken ?

The numbering of the SD card is not right! The numbering sequence can start higher than 1 even on a just formatted card.
You need to upload your first pic into an EXIF viewer that will shoe the number of actuations of the camera.
Apologies if you already did all this ..

Good catch.. I completely missed it was the image file name he was referencing. Yes, look at the EXIF data -- that will tell the true story for that camera body's shutter. There is actually an EXIF viewer here on the PF: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

04-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Good catch.. I completely missed it was the image file name he was referencing. Yes, look at the EXIF data -- that will tell the true story for that camera body's shutter. There is actually an EXIF viewer here on the PF: Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Yup, that's the tool I used to get the right number. The file name was just the first numerical proof that something was up.

Is there a way to get the shutter count to show up on the Camera itself? Or is the EXIF tool the only way?
04-26-2016, 02:21 PM   #55

Sorry to hear that!
I checked my shutter count just now, and my first jpeg i saved was "25."
I had been fooling with the camera and deleted a few, so I don't know for sure if it said "1" right out of the box.
Funny thing though, I just looked at Ebay and nobody ever posted a bad feedback rating for any K-3II sold by them. Ever.
In fact, that is why I always use PayPal and ebay - you rarely get burned if you are the buyer.

My shutter check said:

"Results

Your photo's metadata indicates the following:

Camera PENTAX K-3 II
Manufature Date 2015:08:19
Shutter Count 25 "

Last edited by EnglishBob; 04-26-2016 at 02:28 PM.
04-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #56
mee
Site Supporter

Yup, that's the tool I used to get the right number. The file name was just the first numerical proof that something was up.

Is there a way to get the shutter count to show up on the Camera itself? Or is the EXIF tool the only way?
Nope it only shows in the EXIF metadata.
04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #57

https://www.camerashuttercount.com/

I found this site that finds the shutter count using DNG files.
My camera is brand spanking new. Odd that nobody has posted one single solitary bad feedback warning about this other K-3 II on Ebay - but just trashed the seller here.
Other odd note - I ordered mine direct from the store because the Ebay listing was out of stock. I just checked Ebay using their advanced search for all sales of K-3II this year and none were from Tri-State!
It took a week after I ordered mine to get it in stock, and then it was shipped overnight UPS in a white bubblewrap bag, not an "outer box."
Looked again, and nobody is leaving negative feedback about a bogus K-3 II to date.
Why not?
04-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Looked again, and nobody is leaving negative feedback about a bogus K-3 II to date.
Why not?
Honestly? I'm holding off on my feedback until the entire return process is complete. I'll have to double check the eBay guidelines about feedback, but I was under the impression that it was for the entire interaction with the seller.

Anyways, so far the return is going quite well. They've accepted the return and provided a prepaid shipping label. I shipped it back to them today.

I'm not sure why your eBay search isn't showing any K-3II sold by them recently. I can look at the purchase history of the one I bought and see the other ones they sold in the past few months.
04-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #59

Glad it worked out. I paid 759.00 for mine using PayPal but bought it directly from the store. Their Ebay listing for 751.00 was out of stock. Then when mine wasn't shipped in a couple of days, I called the store directly and talked to a sales rep. He told me it would be in after the weekend and he would get it right out. Sure enough, it came in Monday and it an was over-night free delivery to me. I also got the 14.99 Pentax extended warranty to give it 3 years of insurance.
When you posted, I started looking at Ebay feedback history and cannot find any negative feedback for the K-3 II from anybody even going back to April 2015.
(Use Ebay Advanced Search and put in "Pentax K-3 II DSLR Camera (Body Only) 16160" and your purchase is MIA! Even though the listing on Ebay says 7 sold, you can't find any record, not even using your Ebay Item number: 391374201039 ! So much for Ebay record keeping!)
Sounds like you didn't have to pay return shipping, so it seems that you got a full refund without any restocking fee. The way the prices are staying $100 higher, I am glad mine was minty fresh.