Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
K-3 II Jump in Price
Posted By: colonel00, 03-24-2016, 05:27 PM

I've been saving my pennies waiting to pull the trigger on a K-3 II. Prices at both B&H and Adorama have been hovering around $727. I just happened to check both sites and B&H is up to $799 and Adorama is at $896. Yikes!
Views: 8,101
03-24-2016, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I paid $779.00 through B&H back in Feb.
Even at $799.00 this camera is still a bargain. IMHO it is the best bang for the buck in photography.
03-24-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, still not bad. But this isn't any sort of official increase, the retailers just aren't discounting as much at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

It is interesting that they all changed pricing together though..

Lens prices have lowered somewhat while body prices have slightly increased. hmmmmm

03-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, I was just surprised to see the prices jump back up. Especially at Adorama. To me, the K-3 II's differences from the K-3 are "nifty" but not worth a substantial cost increase over the K-3, again to me. For $30-50, I was in, for $100-200, I may have to wait for prices to drop again.
03-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #6

And here I had just about convinced myself to pull the trigger on ordering one. They must know.

I wonder if it's B&H over-reacting to Adorama's price. Since Adorama is out of stock the price may be inflated until they get more in?
03-25-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phroon Quote
And here I had just about convinced myself to pull the trigger on ordering one. They must know.

I wonder if it's B&H over-reacting to Adorama's price. Since Adorama is out of stock the price may be inflated until they get more in?
I'm starting to think they all are acutely watching each other and pricing accordingly.

03-25-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm starting to think they all are acutely watching each other and pricing accordingly.
Starting to think? I don't believe there's any doubt - particularly between B&H and Adorama!
03-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Starting to think? I don't believe there's any doubt - particularly between B&H and Adorama!
That or it is MAP.
03-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Is that just because the K-1 is creating so much buzz and that now even the K-3II will sell better (at higher prices than in the past)?
03-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not surprising...
They don't want to discount the K-3ii while the K-1 is taking pre-orders. If anything I can see the K-1 taking a discount before the K-3ii drops again significantly. They want people to buy into the full-frame; there minimal incentive to promote the APSC lineup when there could be potential full-frame buyers.
If you were a beginner and saw the K-3ii at $699 with a plethora of DA lenses on sale, you'd be tempted to pass on the FF altogether and go for an incredible flagship APSC with a few DA limiteds for the same price.

My 2c

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 11:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Yeah, I was just surprised to see the prices jump back up. Especially at Adorama. To me, the K-3 II's differences from the K-3 are "nifty" but not worth a substantial cost increase over the K-3, again to me. For $30-50, I was in, for $100-200, I may have to wait for prices to drop again.
I agree...
I was close to ordering a K-3 a while back when it had the grip included for free.
I think it was priced at $649?

I still kind of kick myself for not jumping on that.

But, the a K-3ii passed the Marketplace with 400 shutters on it and I jumped on that.
$625

Can't complain. But now I want that D-BG5 grip I passed up...
03-25-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Seriously. Who doesn't think each company pays someone (or multiple someones) for the sole purpose of watching competitor's prices?
03-25-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I paid about $900 for my K-3 II last year.
03-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That or it is MAP.
That was the cause for my guessing.. is it watching/competing vendors or is it based on MAP?

---------- Post added 03-25-16 at 04:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Seriously. Who doesn't think each company pays someone (or multiple someones) for the sole purpose of watching competitor's prices?
Pay a person to do this work? Why do that if one can code some pricing spider (software) that scours each vendor's website and adjusts accordingly?

I doubt there is somebody hired to visit competing vendor websites that is manually documenting pricing. I mean there are THOUSANDS of products on their site. Maybe there is a manager that watches what the software is doing to ensure it doesn't go awry and start selling K-3 bodies for 79 dollars though and they are probably tasked with keying in discounts and keeping pricing in accordance to each manufacturer's MAP.

The less hands in the pot the better (from a accuracy; less failures standpoint)..

Then again, a few years ago either B&H or Adorama (I forget which) had DA* 50-135mm lenses for 109.95 USD accidentally. It didn't last long and they cancelled the orders..

Last edited by mee; 03-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
03-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Pay a person to do this work? Why do that if one can code some pricing spider (software) that scours each vendor's website and adjusts accordingly?
Someone has to write the software, no?

QuoteQuote:
I mean there are THOUSANDS of products on their site. Maybe there is a manager that watches what the software is doing to ensure it doesn't go awry and start selling K-3 bodies for 79 dollars though and they are probably tasked with keying in discounts and keeping pricing in accordance to each manufacturer's MAP.
That happens on Amazon, although it's usually with price increases from what I've seen. There's scripts and such that adjust prices slightly based on competitors. Just as you don't want to sell for too much over your competitors, if they can get away with charging $20, you don't want to be selling it for $10 either.

So these scripts on Amazon raise prices by 5-10 cents a time. They keep competing with each other; if no one new comes in there at a lower price, the prices spiral out of control and you'll see OUTRAGEOUS prices for items. If the item is rare or discontinued or if the listing is simply unmaintained (there's over 5 entries for the FA43 on there now), which happens a lot if Amazon doesn't sell the item, then it's even more common. How do you think you find an FA43 for $2k+ on there? (Sometimes they use high prices as an 'out of stock' indicator as well, so this example may not be actually what happened here.)