Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tamron 17-50 for $220 (Intl version, amazon). 3rd party seller.
Posted By: rrstuff, 03-25-2016, 01:39 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50MM-Aspherical-PENTAX-Digital/dp/B0013DFZNK...tamron+17-50mm

This looks suspiciously low, so proceed with caution.
Views: 1,316
03-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seems dodgy to me.
03-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The price fluctuates between 200 and 230 dollars - I assume due to currency exchange rates since it's shipped from Japan. But this has been there for months and there's reviews saying they got a good product.

But I would still hesitate because if you get one that has problems, you're out of luck...
03-29-2016, 02:30 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The price fluctuates between 200 and 230 dollars - I assume due to currency exchange rates since it's shipped from Japan. But this has been there for months and there's reviews saying they got a good product.

But I would still hesitate because if you get one that has problems, you're out of luck...
The price is really low though for a quite decent lens... And Amazon are really good at handling issues. However, if your lens is a bad copy returning it might be prohibitively expensive for you. Though you could probably offload the lens to eBay for minimal or no loss. Compared to the B&H price you could order two of these and still have almost $100 change!

I bought my Sigma 17-50/2.8 from a Japanese seller and had no issues. Currently have the Sigma 8-16 on the way from Japan... My issue is that I run a website and my advertising revenue comes in mainly as Amazon.com gift certificates AND I'm in Europe, so I have to find something to buy every now and then. Buying US vs. Japanese products from Amazon.com makes no difference to me - I order whatever comes cheaper. Returning anything is a hassle though.

03-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by olli_tr Quote
The price is really low though for a quite decent lens... And Amazon are really good at handling issues. However, if your lens is a bad copy returning it might be prohibitively expensive for you. Though you could probably offload the lens to eBay for minimal or no loss.
Well, if you are honest and say there's a problem with it when you sell on Ebay, you'll end up getting something like 100 dollars for it.

The returning the lens is the problem, and this lens is way more prone to issues than the Sigma 17-50 based on numerous threads about problems with the Tamron - so there's a bigger chance than most of us would feel comfortable with, of the lens having issues. Add to that the wait time from Japan and you see why it's so cheap
04-14-2016, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6

Just came back from Japan, the Tamron 17-50mm is regularly priced around 21000 yen at all/most major camera stores (yodobashi/Bic Camera). Conversion is ~$210 USD, while I usually see it locally in Canada for ~$500 USD.

Point of reference, Yodobashi/Bic Camera are MAJOR camera stores. they're about 7-8 floors tall, and occupy a full block (1-2 floors are for food exclusively in the bigger ones). Yodobashi at least, has an entire sector for Pentax on one floor.

Was the first purchase I made once I landed (after food!).
04-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
Just came back from Japan, the Tamron 17-50mm is regularly priced around 21000 yen at all/most major camera stores (yodobashi/Bic Camera). Conversion is ~$210 USD, while I usually see it locally in Canada for ~$500 USD.

Point of reference, Yodobashi/Bic Camera are MAJOR camera stores. they're about 7-8 floors tall, and occupy a full block (1-2 floors are for food exclusively in the bigger ones). Yodobashi at least, has an entire sector for Pentax on one floor.

Was the first purchase I made once I landed (after food!).
With this kind of prices, a major shopping trip could be worth the airfare :P.
04-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
With this kind of prices, a major shopping trip could be worth the airfare :P.
It's unfortunately not all things... The Tamron was a great deal but a lot of the other things are about the same. I had asked in another thread about lenses to bring into japan and buying there came up as an option... The Tamron fit perfectly and warranted a HUGE discount, Raynox are also cheap compared to canada (~$60-70 vs $100-120 CAD). The DA*16-50 though, was equal in price for CAD to yen as well as the 77mm limited once you factored duties and tax ($800 CAD limit, the 77 would have just gone over... yielding end price of around $1000, which is where the Canadian sources sit at)