Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Adorama Lexar SD Card Deals
Posted By: Adam, 04-17-2016, 09:44 PM

Adorama has some great deals on Lexar pro SD 2-packs. These are perfect for the latest Pentax DSLRs:

Lexar 32GB Professional 633x Class 10 UHS-I U3 SDHC Memory Card for Cameras, 95MB/s Read Speed, 45MB/s Write Speed, Pack of 2 $24.95

Lexar 64GB Professional 633x Class 10 UHS-I U3 SDXC Memory Card for Cameras, 95MB/s Read Speed, 45MB/s Write Speed, Pack of 2 $49.95

Lexar 128GB Professional 633x Class 10 UHS-I U3 SDXC Memory Card for Cameras, 95MB/s Read Speed, 45MB/s Write Speed, Pack of 2 $94.95

Since NAB is going on this week, there are also substantial discounts on UHS-II cards such as this one, which comes with a UHS-II USB3 card reader.

Views: 853
04-18-2016, 04:45 AM   #2

Contemplating these. Up until this weekend I was a loyal Sandisk guy until I realized 3 of my cards have some kind of issue (lock button went missing and nearly split open on one card, piece of plastic in the corner near the chips broke off but thank goodness it still worked long enough for me to back them up, and another card broke in both top corners). And I take care of my things :/

Might have to give Lexar a chance now.
04-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good deal. I got a couple of the 32GB cards the last time Adorama had them on sale and they're always in my K-3. Excellent performance for the sports shooting I do.
04-18-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
Contemplating these. Up until this weekend I was a loyal Sandisk guy until I realized 3 of my cards have some kind of issue (lock button went missing and nearly split open on one card, piece of plastic in the corner near the chips broke off but thank goodness it still worked long enough for me to back them up, and another card broke in both top corners). And I take care of my things :/
The nice thing about sandisk is that most of their high-end cards have a lifetime warranty. Contact them and they'll send you replacements!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The nice thing about sandisk is that most of their high-end cards have a lifetime warranty. Contact them and they'll send you replacements!

Hi Adam,

Would the 2000x cards be "slowed down" in a K-3 or K-1?

Does it make little sense to pay the higher cost for this card if the only cameras I use are Pentax?
Or will it still clear the buffer for sports photography faster than the less expensive card that you posted?

Thanks,
04-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi Adam,

Would the 2000x cards be "slowed down" in a K-3 or K-1?

Does it make little sense to pay the higher cost for this card if the only cameras I use are Pentax?
Or will it still clear the buffer for sports photography faster than the less expensive card that you posted?

Thanks,
Yes, they would run at slower UHS-I speeds, since Pentax cameras don't have the second row of pins needed for UHS-II operation. The exact speed isn't specified, but I'd expect it to to be comparable to these 633x cards.

The practical maximum write speed of UHS-I caps out at about 90 Mb/s, which is available in Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, if you want the absolute best performance with your current cameras:
SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory SDSDXP-064G-A46

I'm not sure if going for UHS-II is really worth it at the moment if you're using shooting with Pentax. It'll probably be a few more generations before UHS-II slots make their debut in consumer still cameras, and at that point, larger card sizes will inevitably be cheaper

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Forum Member

Yes, they would run at slower UHS-I speeds, since Pentax cameras don't have the second row of pins needed for UHS-II operation. The exact speed isn't specified, but I'd expect it to to be comparable to these 633x cards.

The practical maximum write speed of UHS-I caps out at about 90 Mb/s, which is available in Sandisk Extreme Pro cards, if you want the absolute best performance with your current cameras:
SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory SDSDXP-064G-A46

I'm not sure if going for UHS-II is really worth it at the moment if you're using shooting with Pentax. It'll probably be a few more generations before UHS-II slots make their debut in consumer still cameras, and at that point, larger card sizes will inevitably be cheaper

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response and the great explanation.

Is the SanDisk simply a better card than the Lexar? Somehow faster?
I ask because I notice that they are both 95mb/s but the SanDisk is about 2x the price compared to the Adorama deal that you posted.

Thanks again!!
04-18-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by radman Quote
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response and the great explanation.

Is the SanDisk simply a better card than the Lexar? Somehow faster?
I ask because I notice that they are both 95mb/s but the SanDisk is about 2x the price compared to the Adorama deal that you posted.

Thanks again!!
95 Mb/s is the maximum read speed for both cards, but the Sandisk card I linked can write up to 90 Mb/s, whereas the Lexars on sale can write up to 45 Mb/s. It won't make a huge difference on the K-3, but it's there if you shoot long bursts.

Adam

04-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

95 Mb/s is the maximum read speed for both cards, but the Sandisk card I linked can write up to 90 Mb/s, whereas the Lexars on sale can write up to 45 Mb/s. It won't make a huge difference on the K-3, but it's there if you shoot long bursts.
I won't use anything but the SanDisk Extreme Pro with the 90 Mb/s write speeds. For landscape work, not so big a deal, but for sports and wildlife, even 6-8 shot bursts clear the buffer fast enough I don't have to worry. (There can be a couple second delay to finish writing). I have some slower cards, but I won't use them after getting a K3 (much more than a couple second delay). I can only imagine the difference with a K-1.