Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
fast glass on shopgoodwill
Posted By: tvdtvdtvd, 04-18-2016, 11:48 AM

shopgoodwill.com - #29115977 - Lot of 5 Various Camera Lenses -Canon, Pentax+ - 4/19/2016 11:34:47 AM

Surprised no one has linked this yet. Perhaps everyone was hoping no one else would notice.....
I placed my token bid 4 hours after the auction listed, but the price has already gone far beyond
what I would gamble on an AS-IS, effectively no return auction.
Views: 4,111
04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Perhaps everyone was hoping no one else would notice...
That is usually the way it works. I used to work for a company that does online auctions and contention on an item is the key to high sale price.

Steve
04-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You probably outbid me sadly I'm in sell mode not buy right now.
04-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
You probably outbid me sadly I'm in sell mode not buy right now.
My token bid was less than $100, just to get the auction in my watch list. Tempting as those two lenses
might be, I doubt I would have bid more than $350 or so and the auction is already well beyond that price.
Someone might get a heck of bargain....., or a fungal/scratched element lemon. The one and only time
I did take that kind of gamble on shopgoodwill I rolled snake eyes and got a lemon, (an Alpa 40/3.5 Makro
with heavy fungus).

04-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

it will be sold for $1000000
04-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Don't think I've ever seen a bargain on there. Well not once the bidding starts. The online market can be very effective at seeking out the going price.

I hold out patient hope of finding something attached to a crappy camera body that no-one has noticed but I suspect I am not the only one :-)
04-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Bargains are generally on odd-brand items, I've picked up Sears and Rikenon lenses for good prices. That might be where my JCPenny 80-200 f/3.5 came from in fact..

04-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
My token bid was less than $100, just to get the auction in my watch list.
You know you can click 'Add to Watch list' at the top of the item page.. you don't have to bid..

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
Don't think I've ever seen a bargain on there. Well not once the bidding starts. The online market can be very effective at seeking out the going price.

I hold out patient hope of finding something attached to a crappy camera body that no-one has noticed but I suspect I am not the only one :-)
There used to be bargains before everyone decided they were doing everyone else a favor by advertising it all over creation.

That site is scoured so heavily now you will never find a bargain anymore.. unless it is mislabeled.. or some item forgotten by history.
04-18-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Originally posted by tvdtvdtvd
My token bid was less than $100, just to get the auction in my watch list.

You know you can click 'Add to Watch list' at the top of the item page.. you don't have to bid..
What fun is that?
04-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
What fun is that?

Oh. Fun is an entirely different situation.

I watched part of an Antiques Roadshow tonight where a guy brought his 40+ year old Rolex watch he bought in the early 70s for ~545 dollars (iirc).

He said he wore it occasionally, but felt it was too nice of a watch to wear daily. Turns out he was correct as the watch was appraised at 100,000 dollars.

Same show a woman had a plain looking bowl from the 1800s that the family used for gathering and baby washing.. it is some American Indian made bowl worth ~8000 dollars. She was using it to keep her silk flowers beforehand.

We might find something of that nature (the latter) on auction site (longshot maybe) mislabeled and/or poorly photographed.. but I doubt we'll find anything like a prized lens or camera body that no one knows about listed. Too few lenses and they're all rather well documented and known.. it could be fun dreaming though.
04-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow... nice lot, glass seems clean as well. I'm not in the US, but I would probably be willing to bid 600USD. Those three Pentax lenses in good condition are worth quite a bit of money. However, I don't know much about shop goodwill, so some of you may know better!
04-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
We might find something of that nature (the latter) on auction site (longshot maybe) mislabeled and/or poorly photographed..
It does happen. I scored my SMC K 28/3.5 and Super Tak 85/1.9 from shopgoodwill auctions that were poorly photographed. In each
case, (separate auctions), there was a curious lens that wasn't photographed clearly enough for a positive ID, but well enough to make
an educated guess by comparing with images in the lens database here on Pentax Forums. And in both cases, I won the auction for a
good bargain.
04-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Auction finished at $606.70. I'm a little envious; partly for the glass and partly for the bravado to bid that much on such a risky
venture. Best of luck to the winning bidder that all is well.
04-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't particularly like that on shopgoodwill there is often no description of the item beyond the listing title and pictures. Regarding this particular listing, the mix of Canon and Pentax probably made the bidding more contentious than if it had only been Pentax.

I've followed a lot of ebay auctions and gotten outbid. Sometimes it is better to discover something shortly before its ending time, that no one has bid on and that you happen to be interested in, and then wait until it's about to end and sneak a bid in ....perhaps just a bit higher than some other would-be first-bidder might go.

If you have quirky interests, unlike those of the crowd, you're more likely to find a bargain.
04-20-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Anybody ever hear of b&H, Adorama, or KEH slipping up on a used rare and precious Pentax lens and selling it for a ridiculously low price?